Henry Selick's The Shadow King

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
THE SHADOW KING
Henry Selick, the genius behind THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH and the Oscar® and BAFTA nominated CORALINE, is moving forward with Academy Award nominated producer Josh Penn (BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD) and K5 International on his latest feature THE SHADOW KING.
THE SHADOW KING is a deliciously magical tale about nine-year-old New York orphan Hap who hides his fantastically weird hands with long fingers from a cruel world. But when a living shadow girl teaches him to make amazing hand shadows that come to life, his hands become incredible weapons in a shadow war against a ravenous monster bent on killing Hap’s brother Richard and ultimately destroying New York.
THE SHADOW KING is written and directed by Selick. His team includes an impressive array of renowned artists such as Director of Photographer Peter Sorg, (Frankenweenie, Coraline), Eric Leighton, Animation Director on Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga’hoole, Production Designer Lou Romano (The Incredibles), Editor Wyatt Jones (Immortals, Rango, TRON: Legacy, Zodiac), and composer Bruno Coulais (Coraline).
THE SHADOW KING, until recently in hiatus after Disney exited the project, is already a good way into production.
K5 International is bringing Henry Selick to the European Film Market at Berlin to conduct special presentations to selected buyers with exclusive clips from the film screened behind closed doors as part of the presentation.
“K5 is the perfect presenter for THE SHADOW KING – they appreciate the film’s exciting blend of the fantastic and personal with its mix of humor, scares, and moments of sweetness. We can’t wait to get back into production,” stated Henry Selick.
“We immediately realized that THE SHADOW KING is a fantastic and exciting prospect that needed to find the support. To offer our help to Henry’s brilliance as a storyteller is an absolute pleasure for us. And it also demonstrates K5’s commitment to bringing bigger and bolder projects to the market,” say K5’s Co-Founders Oliver Simon and Daniel Baur.
“Henry Selick is the best in the business. His films are all instant classics and they delight family audiences all over the world over and over again,” adds Partner Sales Carl Clifton.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/berlin-k5-boards-henry-selicks-the-shadow-king/

Selick is great with the use of shadows, both real and rotoscoped. I am so down for this.

I guess this is the film that was originally going to be called the Shademaker when it was under disney.

http://www.k5international.com/current-films/the-shadow-king The official site has some more information and some imagery.

Cast: Jaden Betts (Voice of Hap) Pamela Adlon (Voice of Richard) Brendon Glesson (Voice of Darce) Jeffrey Tambor (Voice of Cuzzie Bell) Catherine o’Hara (Voice of Miss Fern)
Producer: Josh Penn, Sarah Serata

I get excited whenever I hear Selick is doing something new. NMBC is my favorite movie, and I loved Coraline. Can't wait to see where this goes.

I also love James and the Giant Peach.

Monkeybone though I haven't seen since I was a kid. I remember hating it though.

I always wondered what happened between Seleck and Laika, the studio behind Coraline and ParaNorman.

Did something happen? I just figured selleck was taking a break, he usually has a bit of a gap between his movies.

There was a conflict between the two parties.

Yeah I never heard what exactly happened but Sellick left to go start his own company under the Disney umbrella, but that fell through too.

shadow-king1.jpg

Selick making another movie? Sold!

I can't wait!

Henry Selick is making another movie?

aHvsrN2.gif

The cast listing and terrific, and like the posters above, I will see anything Selick creates.

He's making it now, with his own studio. It's to be distributed in Europe by some outfit called K5 International.

He's making it now, with his own studio. It's to be distributed in Europe by some outfit called K5 International.
It's not listed on their website anymore though? And the most recent information about the film dates back to last February...

He's making a live action film also. Maybe Shadow King's been (hopefully just) pushed back.

Shadow King is going down, in what I call, the super duper indie route. More indie than what we think of indie. Once he's done with The Shadow King, he'll have to find a distributor through festivals like Sundance, Tornoto, etc.

Shadow King is going down, in what I call, the super duper indie route. More indie than what we think of indie. Once he's done with The Shadow King, he'll have to find a distributor through festivals like Sundance, Tornoto, etc.
So realistically, it's not going to be out for a long while, if at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"