Sequels Heroes for Hire

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
Figured this deserves its own topic as one of the biggest Marvel properties that seems like a no-brainer to be made.

So the biggest question: movie or tv series? A movie would allow for a bigger budget and more resources in general, but does Heroes for Hire really need all that? Or does the prolonged yet episodic approach to television present the better opportunities for Cage and Rand?

How would you ground the concept so that it's more than just a cliche personality clash? Set it in the MCU or no? And of course, casting

Anyway, here's my fanwank take...

First off television seems like the better avenue to me. This seems like the Marvel property that's tailor-made for the format, with the buddy-cop detective story making it feel naturally episodic but the supervillain aspect giving it larger, seasonal arcs. Plus its stars are popular characters with powers that can easily fit into a television budget.

Also, it seems like the perfect opportunity to flesh out the MCU without having to resort to crappy tie-in books or comics. So being set in the MCU seems like a must to me. However setting it in New York seems like it might bring about continuity issues, so I think setting it in another large, thus-far untapped city seems reasonable. Someplace like Seattle or Chicago.

Here's one potential break-down of characters

Main Cast:

Luke Cage aka Power Man: Lance Gross
9aVnH.jpg

Betrayed by his childhood friend, he breaks out of jail after being experimented on and flees to (whereever), where he meets and joins forces with Iron Fist to form Heroes for Hire.

Danny Rand aka Iron Fist: Scott Porter
at13Z.jpg

The son of a deceased wealthy businessman, and wielder of The Iron Fist.

Jessica Jones: Jessica Stroup
txZyR.jpg

Cage's on-again off-again love interest. Pilot is focused on Jones coming to Heroes for Hire for their services.

Davos aka Steel Serpent: Sung Kang
ALxrP.jpg

Iron Fist's hated rival, exiled from K'un-L'un. Cross's right-hand man.

William Cross aka Crossfire: Bruce Greenwood
Usxvj.jpg

Disgraced ex-CIA agent turned seemingly philanthropic CEO of Cross Technological Enterprises (CTE) when his ailing cousin steps down. Sort of like the Kingpin- funds all sorts or illicit activity and runs the city's criminal underground.

Recurring Cast:

Marc Spector: Jensen Ackles
azseM.jpg

Cross's former partner at the CIA, whose research into Cross's current activities has him occasionally at odds and occasionally aligned with Cage and Rand. Could potentially become Moon Knight and spin-off into something separate further into the show's run.

Bobbi Morse aka Mockingbird: Taylor Schilling
dm12J.jpg

Spector's current partner, undercover as an employee at CTE. Could potentially become a SHIELD agent further into the show's run.

Maya Lopez aka Echo: Jordana Brewster
Olazr.jpg

One of Cross's mercs, raised as his own daughter. All of the comic backstory would obviously replace Kingpin with Cross.

Willis Stryker: Omari Hardwick
aw7jo.jpg

Cage's childhood friend whose past betrayal and framing comes to a head during one of the show's arcs.

Misty Knight: Annie Ilonzeh
Colleen Wing: Maggie Q
yITyI.jpg

Heroes for Hire's rivals in the detective biz at Knightwing Restorations, Ltd. Could potentially team up with and eventually merge businesses with Cage and Rand down the road, becoming part of the main cast.

Michael Jai White and Scott Atkins in Isaac Florentine's Heroes for Direct to Video Hire

Heroes for Hire could be based in the MCU and in NYC and here's how.

After the Avengers there seems to be dozens of people trying to become Heroes and villains and NYC is caught in the crossfire. With the Avengers "gone" it seems like NYC needs protecting enter : Heroes For Hire.

All of their origins can be ties to MCU

Jessica Jones got her powers by car with her family when they collided with a military convoy carrying radioactive chemicals. Her family was killed and, after spending several months in a coma, she was placed in foster care and adopted by the Jones family. (That convoy could have been in Harlem and happened during Hulk vs Abomination in Harlem.)

Misty Knight could have lost her arm during the Chitauri attack and got his new arm from Tony Stark.

Luke Cage could have gotten his powers from Roxxon.

Clay Quartermain would be their SHIELD rep, who reports to Nick Fury what's going on.

Cameos I could see in this show

Shang-Chi
Tarantula
References to the Punisher
References to The Hood
Wrecking Crew

Yeah, I'd go with the 2006 version of HFH, minus Black Cat (for Sony reasons) and Orka & Humbug (for goofiness reasons). But definitely add Tarantula and Paladin to the main cast.

I guess Heroes for Hire doesn't need a movie, as it can easily work within the confines of TV, but I'd prefer a movie

Again, this isnt necessary, but I'd start with a Luke Cage origin solo and a Iron Fist origin solo in one year. And then the next year have Heroes for Hire. I mean a Luke Cage movie probably wouldnt cost more than 30 Mill and I dont think Iron First would cost that much either.

But I think a Tv show could work too, but Lance Gross is a really bad choice for Luke Cage.

but Lance Gross is a really bad choice for Luke Cage.
Yeah, I added him last. I just couldn't think of someone better. Someone with the physicality, the chops, and who wouldn't turn down a role in a show like this based on where they are in their career.

In all honesty if HfH happens I'm 100% sure Cage would be played by a virtual unknown.

Sorry, but this tv series stuff is annoying. Give it multiple movies instead, and each movie can have more than one story going on, set in the MCU.

I'm good with Chewy's casting, even the ones I don't like, if it would mean a series of movies.

Love your cast chewy. Especially the main 2

Sorry, but this tv series stuff is annoying. Give it multiple movies instead, and each movie can have more than one story going on, set in the MCU.

I'm good with Chewy's casting, even the ones I don't like, if it would mean a series of movies.

Movies are expensive. Movies come out every 2-3 years, in general. Trying to schedule crossover movies like the Avengers and the MCU going forward are a logistical nightmare. Plus, the "street level" heroes don't really gain anything by being on a massive screen as opposed to a TV set. And yeah, I'd even extend that to Spidey. After all, he *did* have a live action TV series back in the 70s. ;)

Movies are expensive. Movies come out every 2-3 years, in general. Trying to schedule crossover movies like the Avengers and the MCU going forward are a logistical nightmare. Plus, the "street level" heroes don't really gain anything by being on a massive screen as opposed to a TV set. And yeah, I'd even extend that to Spidey. After all, he *did* have a live action TV series back in the 70s. ;)
"Street level" hero movies would be cheaper to make than their Captain America and Iron Man and Thor movies, plus the "street leve" heroes would gain popularity with the masses of movie goers instead of home viewers that would most likely dvr the show. And I'm not saying that Heroes for Hire needs to crossover with the other MCU movies, but there's no reason not to make it canon with the MCU.

Live action super hero tv shows rarely do well. Other than the ****ty Smallville, there hasn't been a truly successful live super hero show in live action; especially one that is faithful to its source material. It's because tv shows fall into ruts, and have the obligatory lame episodes because of budgetary reasons most the time. I say just put more work into movies that won't cost much than a tv show that most likely wouldn't succeed.

I think Iron Fist and Luke Cage movies could cost less than 50 Mill which arent as expensive as most superheroes

Live action super hero tv shows rarely do well. Other than the ****ty Smallville, there hasn't been a truly successful live super hero show in live action; especially one that is faithful to its source material. It's because tv shows fall into ruts, and have the obligatory lame episodes because of budgetary reasons most the time. I say just put more work into movies that won't cost much than a tv show that most likely wouldn't succeed.
This is essentially the same argument as "female superhero movies don't work". Because they've been done poorly and had cliche, ****** characters they haven't worked. Doesn't mean they couldn't work.

This is essentially the same argument as "female superhero movies don't work". Because they've been done poorly and had cliche, ****** characters they haven't worked. Doesn't mean they couldn't work.
Not at all. Live action superhero shows have not been treated the same as female superhero movies. There have been many live action superhero shows that ranged from poor/cliche to proper/innovative treatment, there's been minimal superheroine movies to have that basis. The superheroine movies failed because of poor treatment and reception, while the shows just never kept an audience. Different argument.

Heroes was good until Loeb. No Ordinary Family was **** from minute one. And Smallville was Smallville.

Are there any major recent ones aside from those three?

Lois & Clark lasted four seasons in the 90s and the Flash (with an incredibly awful costume) was cancelled after one.

Live-action superhero TV shows don't work because they never get the budget they'd need to make it not look cheesy. The only great live-action superhero TV shows I've ever seen were both run by Joss Whedon and managed to be great because they embraced their low budget-ness with a tongue-in-cheek camp element in their tone. That won't work for Heroes for Hire (at least, I don't want to see it). And sadly I don't see Disney/ABC bucking the trend and giving this the budget it needs, either. I mean, I want to see martial arts action set pieces on par with The Raid for these guys. I just don't see that happening on TV.

So for that reason, I'd prefer a movie, but if they could actually make a good TV show, I'd be cool with it. And I think your cast would be great for a TV version, Chewy.

I agree that Disney/ABC --- the ones most likely doing any Marvel TV show --- couldn't do a great job with any Marvel TV series. But cable TV is of a much higher caliber, and the stuff coming out on HBO, FX, TNT and the like are absolutely stellar. I'd love for one of those to do a proper Marvel Knights version of HFH, but I know that's fanboy dreaming.

Live-action superhero TV shows don't work because they never get the budget they'd need to make it not look cheesy. The only great live-action superhero TV shows I've ever seen were both run by Joss Whedon and managed to be great because they embraced their low budget-ness with a tongue-in-cheek camp element in their tone. That won't work for Heroes for Hire (at least, I don't want to see it). And sadly I don't see Disney/ABC bucking the trend and giving this the budget it needs, either. I mean, I want to see martial arts action set pieces on par with The Raid for these guys. I just don't see that happening on TV.

So for that reason, I'd prefer a movie, but if they could actually make a good TV show, I'd be cool with it. And I think your cast would be great for a TV version, Chewy.

H4H wouldn't really need that large of a budget to display all of their powers properly. I mean were not talking about a lot of CGI creatures, mostly displays of strength and some energy creation for Iron Fist.

My preference would be to start the series out with two seperate 2 hour TV movies, one for Cage and one for Iron Fist. Those two shows then lead into Heroes for Hire, which would tie into the MCU. I like the idea of Quartermain being the SHIELD contact that shows up periodically. You really have a good opportunity here to have Cage and Iron Fist provide a different perspective on the MCU.

Also, Terry Crews for Luke Cage. The reason for this would be two-fold. First, I'd like to see Cage be a bit older than Iron Fist, so in the Leathal Weapon mold of Murtaugh and Riggs, but here is the twist, swap the roles. Cage is more hot-headed and unstable whereas Rand is the serious, calming influence. I think Crews could deliver this, as well as some humor. Secondly, I'd like to see someone who is experienced in both TV and film because I'd be all for having Luke Cage and Iron Fist make an appearance in an MCU movie down the road.

Last edited:
Heroes for Hire as a TV show would be essential to growing the MCU. It can develop newer characters, who could eventually be added to the films.

We only have 7 heroes- War Machine is the ONLY non-Avenger. HFH could create some new heroes and villains for the films without having to do long drawn out origins. Plus if say Luke Cage showed up in a cameo in say Iron Man 4 they wouldn't have to explain who he is.

I'd love to see a premium channel take on some comicbook properties. I feel the downfall of most hero related tv shows are usually related to budget.

I'd love to see a DC Western tv show on HBO featuring Jonah Hex, VIgilante, and others and then a Question tv show

For Marvel tv shows, there arent many I really want to see

Anyway, I know people dont like him that much, but I actually think Tyrese would make a fine Luke Cage, Boris Kodjoe would be good too.

what do you think of merging the 70s gritty crime period flick everyone's been talking about for Daredevil with a Heroes for Hire TV series. Having it all set in the 70s eliminates any skepticism regarding the need for street level heroes when The Avengers are around. It also opens up an entirely new era of the MCU (Cap had the 1940s, the 2010s are bulging at the seams) what happened in the 1970s?!

Read more here:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=24339939&postcount=944

I like Chewy's take for a TV show.

I think this is a good candidate for a lower budget film. Something in the 50-70 range, released off-season in the spring or fall. Let it run on heart, grit and hardworking stuntmen, but still be inside the MCU. I'd really enjoy that. I would dare say all the Marvel Knights could benefit from that treatment.

Forgive me for not being THAT knowledgeable of Heroes For Hire, but they aren't that over the top power-wise, are they? It is all pretty much just protecting the city, isn't it? I don't see why a TV series couldn't work. Cast some dudes with decent martial arts background and focus it around Iron Fist and Luke Cage and it could be great. Green Hornet had some great fight sequences back in the day.

I'm torn on this. A TV series format would work perfectly for Heroes for Hire. BUT I want to see Luke Cage & Iron Fist done justice & could that really work on a small TV budget? Plus, I wouldn't mind seeing those two eventually becoming Avengers & who knows if the TV show actors could translate to film well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"