Hollywoodland

Holy Crap!!! :eek:

Every new review is more positive than another :up:

I still think they should have gone with Kyle McLaughlin as he resembles Reeves more closely. There are some test shots of him as Reeves/Superman floating around somewhere. George Reeves' movie career was de-railed because of WWII. He had scored big in the A-picture "So Proudly We Hail" with Claudette Colbert and was on his way. Director Mark Sandrich had taken a liking to Reeves and promised to put him in subsequent films but, tragically, he died and that never happened. I would be very interested in Gene Lebell's take on the suicide vs. murder debate, as he was among Reeves' closest friends. I also take exception to the one review that denigrated his acting ability. He wa a damn good actor with a wide range. He could perform comedy with a deft touch and had a fine singing voice as well. Running around in that costume and making it convincing ain't easy but George did it with dignity and grace.

Ah, but he played a superhero and that is the point of ridicule. At least to serious critics.

Anyway, I am personally glad we got this instead of a biopic which would have been heavily slanted like the Variety viewer in him killing himself. Personally I think the circumstances of his death are VERY vague and some are downright creepy. I think that this could make for a really interesting movie if done well and from what I understand the acting and writing is top notch (I hear the direction is a little predestrian though unfortunately) and can't wait. It is good to see Affleck flex his dramatic muscles again as he hasn't since the '90s (Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy and Shakespere in Love prove he is a decent and capable actor if not a great one) instead of all the shyte he has done this decade (though to be fair DD's failures weren't his fault).

I really think this looks like a solid picture and am looking forward to it more than the Black Dahila which looks a little too slick and driven by shock than this is. Albeit that is where DePalma works best (who didn't love his stab at The Untouchables?) but I prefer a more naturalistic approach seen in LA Confidential (which I still think will be infintely better than either picture this year), however both are on my must see list for this winter.

I was looking at it all the really fascinating pictures seem to be coming out in September and October, while that presents a small fear that they are not as good as they should have been and the studios are keeping them away from prestege time (December)....but what else is coming out then for the awards in December and November if it scared off a Sophia Coppola movie, DePalma, Hollywoodland, Nolan and MARTIN ****ING SCORCESSE to the fall months instead then?

Really looking forward to this. I saw that Look Up In The Sky on A&E, at the end of his career all George could do was play Superman occassionally on the Lucy Show. He was considering exhibition wrestling to make money. I think I remember hearing years ago that George Reeves was viewed as a traitor by the industry because he went from cinema to television, which at the time was seen as a threat to the industry.

WTF?

It is only six reviews! Only SIX REVIEWS?! And for the record 67% is fresh and mostly says that if this is your type of film (film noir/mystery) than it is for you, especially if you are into the subject. Only two were negative and one of the reviews (Variety) was heavily slanted as they are determined to believe the BS coronor's report before even seeing the movie. How is this bad? Besides the worst it means is it isn't a classic but a good movie if you are into the genre or story.

And as I said there are way too few reviews for it to even matter yet.

I read the review in PREMIERE today...it was quite good...espescially for the almighty force known as the FLECK!!!

Ok, now we all can say that Hollywoodland won't have Oscar nomination for Best Picture :(

Cinemaman said:
Ok, now we all can say that Hollywoodland won't have Oscar nomination for Best Picture :(

Don't be so pessimistic, bud! I think it'll be a good movie. It got props at Aint It Cool which I know means jack, but they were actually reviews where I could see very good points being made.

Besides, there are plenty of great films not nominated for Best Picture. Haha, many times they're better than the films that did win (Gladiator, Shake***ingspeare in Love anyone?).

i saw the trailer for this some time ago and thought it looked fantastic, but the reviews i've seen don't look favorable... being i'm in the midst of a bit of a fundage shortage, i think i'll wait til this hits DVD, but i do think i'll just HAVE to see it sometime...

Some things I'll be looking for: George Reeves drove a very rare sports car, a Nash-Healy, which I think Mannix bought for him. He also had a pet dog, a schnauser called "Sam", he was very fond of and who was stolen from his parked car. It's these little touches that add to the illusion of authenticity.

im seeing this tomorrow. i doubt itll get a bets nomination, but Diane Lane and Affleck look to have good chances at supporting actor and actress nominations. both are being universally praised.

I could personally care less if it's nominated for best picture. The movie looks pretty damn good IMO! I just watched the HBO making of...Affleck really threw himself into this role, he said he gained about 20 pounds, hopefully he gets some recognition.

/\ Yeah, great to see that Affleck really took it seriously. He definitely did his homework.

One scene that I saw and loved -Reeves in the flight harness- because now I understand why Reeves didn't want flying scenes anymore (that's why we started seeing him only jump out of windows).

There are a couple of Affleck in different Superman costume shots- but not long enough to really get a look of him in the suit.

Don't know if this has been mention but there is a few clips at ComingSoon

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=9885

Clip 1 - 'I Laugh When I'm Happy'
Clip 2 - 'I Could Nail You with This'
Clip 3 - 'Superman Doesn't Smoke'
Clip 4 - 'Inflated Sense of Your Importance'
Clip 5 - 'I'm in the Picture Business'
Clip 6 - 'They're Picking Up Superman'
Clip 7 - 'Feed Me Something'

Does anyone know how to make these downloadable links?

I've seen Hollywoodland at a screening last week.

Did I like it? It was okay. There's some scenes that had the friggin' boom mic in the way. I would of understood if it was an early cut but the movie is coming out very soon!

It drags near the end, but it was enjoyable for what it was. I wouldn't give it any Oscars for anything since nothing was really rememberable..

My staff (from FirstShowing.net) saw it last week... His review can't be published until this Friday, but he really didn't like it that much. Kinda the same as Octoberist... said it just wasn't as great as he'd hoped and some of it kinda dragged... Don't know, I've yet to see it, but my anticipation is dropping with all of the reviews coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"