Holy schnikey! Darth Vader and Yoda in Soulcalibur IV!

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
51713858cz4.jpg

42083520fu5.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334

I know there's probably someone out there who wants to kill a baby over this, but for the rest of us (especially Star Wars geeks who happen to love Soulcalibur) this is the most awesome news evarz! :D

Haha holy crap.

Ok, well, I think they're at least being honest about the fighting Genre needing some outside ties to really hit it big (look at how well Soul Calibur II sold with Link in the Nintendo versions) I think they really spoilled the momentum of the series by making SOul Calibur III so soon on the PS2, but maybe SCIV can undo some of that.

Very true. Soulcalibur II sold the best on Gamecube, and it was all because of Link. The Xbox version had slightly perkier graphics, and the PS2 version had the best controls. But being able to play as a familiar, well-liked character made the Gamecube version the most popular, even though the controls were terrible on the GC controller. The inclusion of Vader and Yoda might be able to strike the same chord on Xbox 360 and PS3, because Star Wars is unarguably more recognizable to the mainstream than Zelda. And without a Nintendo version featuring Link, this is might be a good way to recreate some of SC2's success-- possibly even more.

oh my.

although i can see yoda being a bit like gon and dr. boskonovitch in tekken 3 (very cheap and difficult to hit, unless you do nothing but low kicks)

vader though? holy ********.

Maybe Namco 's Soul Team will make a StarWars Fighting game for Lucasarts after SCIV is done (that would be pretty cool!)

I haven't played any of the Soul Calibur games but it seems I'll be buying IV! :D

Screw Soul Calibur IV, Namco need to start working on StarWars: The Fighting Game.

A SW fighting game needs to be similar to Bushido Blade, but way more complex.
It can't be a combo-a-thon or something....it needs to have blocks, parries, counters, dodges, etc. And if you get a good hit, that's it....fight's over.

God, I almost bought the last one because of Link alone... now Darth Vader!? Damnit. :(

블라스;13760691 said:
A SW fighting game needs to be similar to Bushido Blade, but way more complex.
It can't be a combo-a-thon or something....it needs to have blocks, parries, counters, dodges, etc. And if you get a good hit, that's it....fight's over.

+plus force powers.

I was hoping the PS3 version would have Kratos or Dante and the 360 version getting Ryu Hayabusa. That would have been both appropriate and amazing. Vader and Yoda seem like fish out of water in Soul Calibur 4.

I love Ryu and all, but that'd be too conventional IMO.
I love the choices they made, and I hope they include some more weird characters.

Damn, now I wish I have 360 or PS3, since I doubt they'd release SC4 on Wii. :mad:

I was hoping the PS3 version would have Kratos or Dante and the 360 version getting Ryu Hayabusa. That would have been both appropriate and amazing. Vader and Yoda seem like fish out of water in Soul Calibur 4.

They might still do system specific characters.

It would be awesome if Team Soul did a Star Wars fighting game. As much as I love Soul Calibur, the fighting game genre really needs to be opened up a bit. A Star Wars fighting game with Soul Calibur's gameplay mechanics would do wonders at bringing mainstream gamers back to the fighting game genre.

Right now, fighters are played by mostly hardcore gamers. It's a genre where you pick a character (or two, if you're really hardcore), and get really good at kicking butts with them. And for Joe casual, it's hard to get into a fighter when all the characters are foreign to them, and the story is a convoluted mess that no-one can even attempt to figure out. If you dressed one up with an accessible IP like Star Wars though, it could potentially do for the fighting game genre what Halo did for the shooter genre. Lots of characters that everyone likes, right out of the gate, plus an attractive headline for the box with a story that you can actually follow.

Maybe using Star Wars characters in SCIV is the perfect opportunity to "test the waters" for such a game. If everyone loves playing as Vader and Yoda, I imagine Namco would be at least a little interested in making a game with an entire roster of SW characters.

They can't do Ryu Hayabusa since he's owned by Tecmo, and he's featured in Dead or Alive which is a huge competitor of Namco's fighters. And it doesn't help that Team Ninja's Itagaki thinks that Namco can't make a fighting game to save their grandmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"