Honestly, what are your thoughts on Kill Bill?

Oh well.

There are plenty of versions of Superman around that I don't like, but they don't change the versions I do enjoy.

Kill Bill... I liked it.

Bill's Clark Kent stuff... makes sense... from a villain's point of view, which I thought was the point.

Oh well.

There are plenty of versions of Superman around that I don't like, but they don't change the versions I do enjoy.

The point is that...if there were some massive misunderstanding of another character...a misunderstanding so massive that new movies were made based on it and the comics were even changed to accommodate it...then fans would be in an uproar about it. Not that Kill Bill is entirely to blame...the "dark, angry alienated Superman" idea has been around for a long time as a way to "fix" the nonexistent problem that people think Superman has.

Take Deadpool for example. No one is saying "Hey...the Deadpool in Wolverine is just another version of the character. It's new and different and that is okay because it doesn't destroy the versions of the character that I do enjoy!" No...Deadpool fans are rightfully STILL ticked off about how the character was changed, because they know that the definitive Deadpool is not the teleporting, optic blast shooting merc with no mouth.

I can tell you the number times non comics fans have used KB as a rationale for why they think Superman looks down on the human race or is an uninteresting character: 0.

I could go on, but there are many threads to discuss Superman and people's views on him and how they came to have that view. This should not be one of those threads. I am not a mod, but I think it's common sense that when the subject of the convo is so thoroughly derailed that perhaps the subject should be dropped or moved to a more appropriate venue.

If there were to be a film about Bill (let's call this imaginary film BILL KILLS) and his rise as a master assasin/criminal, who would you want to play a younger Bill? On the top of my list: Jeff D. from BURN NOTICE (He's my own FASSBENDER/HARDY/CUMBERBATCH. I fan cast him a lot.) Burn Notice seems like the kind of show Quentin's inner 14yr old would have loved. Bonus points for this fantasy? Jeff brings Bruce "The Chin" with him. Real talk: Why da hell hasn't the chin and Q worked together yet? It must happen before either of them pass! It must!!!

Krypton, I have had non-comics fans use it to me over and over and over and over again...and tell me "Um...I think Tarantino knows more about Superman than you do."

It is a stance on the character that has spread through our culture. Maybe you have avoided it, but I hear it quite often.

Tarantino has been granted some sacred position by society...like he is the greatest artistic voice of the generation...so discussion on the cultural impact of his movies SHOULD be done. Then again...I actually know a teenager who truly believed that we killed Hitler in a movie theater...so it is more a complaint about how uninformed idiots are positive that they are correct rather than a complaint about Tarantino as a filmmaker.

I think you're just using Kill Bill as the scapegoat for the more general, widespread shift in how Superman is viewed in modern times. I also think the idea that KB itself is responsible for this is laughable. That's crediting Tarantino with a hell of a lot more influence that he has. You might as well claim the tipping scene from Reservoir Dogs caused a worldwide crash in waitstaff incomes.

My 2¢

Tarantino has been granted some sacred position by society...like he is the greatest artistic voice of the generation...

Yup, you are hanging out with some truly special individuals. I mean I like the guy, he's a good filmmaker and a hell of a writer but come on.

Whiskey...I don't think that Kill Bill alone was responsible. The public (and possibly even DC, WB, the writers etc) saw a problem (that doesn't exist) with Superman being too powerful and too perfect (he is not)...so there has been many attempts to derail that. Kill Bill merely convinced a segment of society that he really is the piece of garbage that many "grim and gritty" writers and editors wanted to turn him into so that he'd fit in with the stories they had for every other character. The intentional destruction of Superman as the Big Blue Boy Scout is something that someone in a position to know should document, for the sake of history.

And this isn't about who I hang out with. The idea that Tarantino is among the elite talents of movie-making is pretty widespread.

Guys, stop falling for the bait. Heretic will not stop. He will not falter. The hyperbole is endless.

The idea that Tarantino is among the elite talents of movie-making is pretty widespread.

Yes, he's a great filmmaker. But 'greatest artistic voice of a generation'? He's not Bob Dylan, or John Lennon, or whomever. That's completely over the top, sorry.

And yeah, you do sound a little like Kurosawa. No one has "destroyed' Superman. But you obviously feel differently, so sorry for your loss, I guess.

Guys, stop falling for the bait. Heretic will not stop. He will not falter. The hyperbole is endless.

So noted.

:woot:

I made two posts and bailed, this ain't goin' nowhere fast.

For the record, to the paranoid among us...I have no clue who Kurosawa is (unless the conspiracy theory is that I am the reincarnated Japanese director).

I saw it recently for the first time, one after the other - I liked PART I a lot better.

I saw it recently for the first time, one after the other - I liked PART I a lot better.

Sorry to hear that. I think that Vol. ! is the sizzle (and oh, what sizzle) and Vol. 2 is the steak (and Q. gives it to me the way I like it, bloody and juicey).

Any particular reason why you felt one was better than the other? Also, why did it take you so long to check them out? (If you think I am asking these questions to move off of Superman.... You'd be thinking right. :woot:)

Just 1 was right to-the-point whereas 2 seemed to drag on for some reason -- or that could have just been from seeing them put together as a 4 hr + film that it felt that way...

Just never been interested, but it was at the library and I had seen Wolverine - so I thought, what the heck that's the night to watch it (samurais, ninjas, etc.)

It was a uninspired film that failed to capture the magic or even parody of the films that inspired it and proved the director didn't really understand their soul.

Any particular reason you feel that way?

While QT uses a lot of elements of things, most of his films aren't really intended as a pastiche of any one genre, save for may be Django.

I agree that Kill Bill doesn't quite capture the feel of the Hong Kong films it borrows from but I don't think he was really trying to. The movie does however take to the extreme many of the things people associate with his films.

Last edited:
I didn't care for the kill Bill movies.

I read an interview that James O'barr wanted the sequel to the Crow to be about a female Crow who is gunned down on her wedding Day and she only goes by the name "the Bride".
Miramax passed on the treatment Obarr wrote and shelved it saying no audiance wants to see a female action star, and years later kill Bill is made by the same movie company.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/04/15/kill-bill-so-similar-to-rejected-crow-sequel-script-james-obarr-claims/

Bill's view of Superman in Kill Bill wasn't even original, plenty of Superman comics had offered that perspective over the years.

The only part that bugged me is when Bill mentions the art not being very good...which of the several thousand artists that have worked on Superman was he referring too? That seemed like a really clumsy piece of dialogue.
Maybe he doesn't like the usual American Comics artwork, which can sometimes be very same-same

I always assumed he was talking about the original Siegel/Shuster books. And LORD, I would say throughout American comics history there has been a plethora of styles across the superhero genre. It's Manga that has far too much uniformity with some exceptions, and even then there are certain stylistic flourishes that can be seen to be used by too many manga artists.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, some fans are arguing about the point of view of Bill ( a movie character ) about Superman ?? Is that it ?

I always assumed he was talking about the original Siegel/Shuster books. And LORD, I would say throughout American comics history there has been a plethora of styles across the superhero genre. It's Manga that has far too much uniformity with some exceptions, and even then there are certain stylistic flourishes that can be seen to be used by too many manga artists.
I have to disagree about that, i see a greater variety in manga than American Comics, the later allways aims for maximum realism and ends up putting the characters with exagerated muscles and the women with the same type of bodies. There are manga artists with similar artwork to each others but each one is quite distinct.

Any artist can add details to his work, i'm one to praise originality instead of just hard work, take Eichira Oda, Akira Toriyama, Hirohiko Araki, Togashi, and Takehiko Inoue for example, each one has a distinct style that doesn't aim for the same things.

Of course there are some different American artists, like Bruce Timm and Mike Mignola, but the majority of artists that draw the mainstream comic books do almost the same thing. Due to his style i've seen some 3 manga artists say they're fans of him, so you can see how different thei mindset is, expecially considering nobody there seems talk about artists such as Jim Lee.

I didn't care for the kill Bill movies.

I read an interview that James O'barr wanted the sequel to the Crow to be about a female Crow who is gunned down on her wedding Day and she only goes by the name "the Bride".
Miramax passed on the treatment Obarr wrote and shelved it saying no audiance wants to see a female action star, and years later kill Bill is made by the same movie company.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...jected-crow-sequel-script-james-obarr-claims/

That doesn't mean the people who made the decision to throw out O'Barr's Crow film are the same individuals who accepted Kill Bill. Besides, who outside of fandom has ever heard of James O'Barr? The general public know the name Tarantino, he's a marketable name, Kill Bill was even advertised as "The 4th film from Quentin Tarantino."

Kill Bill... I liked it.

Bill's Clark Kent stuff... makes sense... from a villain's point of view, which I thought was the point.

Nitpicky, but I always felt that Kal-El is Clark, cause that's how we was raised. Superman is the costume. Whereas Bruce is the facade and he's Batman.

Nitpicky, but I always felt that Kal-El is Clark, cause that's how we was raised. Superman is the costume. Whereas Bruce is the facade and he's Batman.

It depends on which version you're dealing with. Given Bill's age, I think it's safe to assume he's talking about the guy (Kal-El) who grew up to be Superman (who inspires people) and Clark Kent (who fits in) essentially died when the Kents died. So, the guy in Metropolis (who also fits in) is a facade. It's like when you take off the mask of Batman or Spider-Man, you'd normally go "Bruce Wayne?!" or "Peter Parker?!" But, when you take off the glasses of Clark, you'd go "Superman?!" That's one of the things that set Superman apart from other superheroes back then.

But besides all that, Bill's Clark Kent stuff makes the character look bad because Bill's a villain. You wouldn't expect a villain to paint Superman in a positive light. I mean, imagine what Lex would say about Superman. :woot:

The mild mannered Clark Kent isn't a critique of the human race, but more of a love letter/respect for the human race. Especially Pa Kent... a mild mannered man who also happened to wear glasses. Dude's just being like his dad.

miraclemonday1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"