Horrible Roommate Stories

I'm not a neat freak by any means but I dont like slovenliness either. The way people lived in the dorms at school was awful. I only saw one cockroach (dead in the shower I was using) but I'm sure we must have been infested.

I will say, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people refuse to rinse their dishes. It's fine if you don't want to wash them at that time, but just rinse them off. It takes two seconds and minimal effort. My girlfriend and her roommate never do, and whenever I go over there I see a sink full of dishes caked with dry and crusted food. It's not only disgusting, but it makes washing them a much more time-consuming process.

I hate this as well. Rinse it and put it in the dishwasher (unless it's running). If my roommates do this, I'll often squeeze some Dawn on the dish or in the bowl and put water in it to help keep it from getting disgusting.

Had an apartment one year with paper thin walls. When they knew I needed to be up early, my roommates would be deliberately loud late at night. One would burst into my room (he found ways to unlock it) and try to bother me at inopportune times. They actually burst in on me while I was having sex once.

I will say, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people refuse to rinse their dishes. It's fine if you don't want to wash them at that time, but just rinse them off. It takes two seconds and minimal effort. My girlfriend and her roommate never do, and whenever I go over there I see a sink full of dishes caked with dry and crusted food. It's not only disgusting, but it makes washing them a much more time-consuming process.

During my senior year in college, one of my roommates made a massive pot of homemade cheddar soup (very thick, very hearty soup) the night before spring break began. They elected to stay on campus for break, so I asked them to wash the dishes. When I returned, I discovered that they left the pot untouched in the sink for four days. The "soup" remaining in the pot had taken on a variety of consistencies, and let forth the most horrific odor. The roomate who cooked the soup was exempt from the cleaning duties (having paid for all the ingredients to make it), and my other two roommates refused to do it because of how horrible it smelled. So either I cleaned it, or threw out the pot. I elected to save it - or try to, anyway.

First, I had to take it outside and scrape most of it out with a giant spoon. The stench was unbearable - to the point that my eyes watered and I started gagging. It was honest-to-God the worst thing I have ever smelled. The soup that remained had literally bonded itself onto the bottom of the pan, and try as I might I couldn't dislodge it. I had to soak the pan for five hours before I could even take a crack at it. Once soaked, I spent a good part of an hour chiseling away at it with a spoon. After I had most of it removed, the bottom of the pot was completely scratched up with spoon marks. I say "most of it," because trace elements of the soup remain caked to the bottom of the pot to this very day.

I very rarely get angry (especially at my best friends), but I was absolutely livid over this incident. I just couldn't believe that they let four days go by without cleaning it - letting it stink up the whole kitchen. I guess they thought it was funny, until it came time to actually clean the damn thing. Then it was a sweat-soaked nightmare.

But then they each bought me a pack of cigarettes, and all was good in the world :up:.

I would've just bought another pot. It would've saved you the agony of cleaning it & the incredible stench too.

I wanna start this by saying that most of the people I've lived with have accused ME of being a mental housemate because I've screamed at them a lot, broken down into tears over things... At one point a living situation was so bad I started heavily drinking and self harming.

But let's put this in perspective by telling a few stories.

1. I came home once at 5.30 to my housemates and two of his friends doing GBL.

My housemate was sat, glazed eyes, staring at a wall, repeating the motion of lifting a beer bottle to his mouth over and over and making 'uhhhh' noises. The beer bottle didn't even have the lid off. One of his friends was trying to literally eat our furniture. And the other one started hitting on me the minute I walked in the room... Well if you can stroking me and smelling me hitting on me.

I went upstairs to my room, totally freaked, started crying and called a friend of mine in his thirties and a bit more level headed than me.

While waiting for him, my roomate comes to the upstairs bathroom. He starts repeatedly saying 'oh ****, oh ****' and I come out, worried and see him just standing there with his dick in his hand, staring at the wall, still repeating the phrase...

My friend gets there, sees the state of them, and takes me for a walk outside. By the time I get back, they are TOTALLY back to normal, and when I tell them what happened they brush it off, laugh, and say 'yeah that was fun'.

2. Found a roomates friend pissing in my kitchen sink... While there where bowls in there.

3. Found a guy that my roomate had invited in, passed out in my bathroom with a needle in his arm. My roomate never let him back in again and was really angry, but it's not the point.

4. Stupidly told me roomate that for his birthday he could do 'whatever he wanted', which he took to an extreme.

He and his friends put on rubber animal masks and came into my room, jumping on my bed where I was sleeping with an ex. He punched one of them in the face and they left giggling.

5. Came home to find people using my saucepan to cook magic mushroom stew.

6. Was yelled at for moving a glass... Because there was a spider under it that he was keeping as a pet. And when I say yelled at, the guy went psycho!

7. Walked out into a shared kitchen in a house of bed sits to find human **** in the middle of the floor.

8. Came out of my room in the morning, climbed over two people sleeping outside my bedroom door, and in the kitchen found my brand new smoothie maker... Which had been used to wizz up meat. When asked what the hell they were wizzing up meat for, they said it was to post through someones letter box they hated saying it was the persons cat. I told them they were disgusting and that I had half a mind to call the police. When my housemate sobered up he genuinely seemed horrified by what he'd done himself so I forgave him eventually.

9. Came home to find a cage full of rats in our hallway... We weren't allowed pets, and my roomate had not even MENTIONED them. I flipped at him so badly.

10. Moved into a place with one big room and one small room. Before we accepted it, I said to the guy 'are you sure your okay with a room that small?' Which he insisted he was... When I moved in, he'd decided it wasn't, and had taken the living room as his room instead... So we had no lounge for the whole time we lived there.

11. Lived with 4 girls who liked to have group meetings in which they'd decide everything was my fault and then organise an intervention style confrontation in which they'd say 'Someone keeps leaving toast crumbs in the kitchen...' As though I couldn't clearly see they were suggesting it was me and had already discussed it without me.

12. Had a roomate at uni who used to play her music so loud I couldn't hear my laptop at it's top volume.

13. Had a bathroom with carpet in a house with 3 boys who couldn't hit the bowl... Ever... The stench was horrendous.

14. Moved into a lodging situation. It lasted 2 nights before the 50 something father of the house tried to kiss me goodnight :(

15. Lived in a room with no lock on the door. This house had 4 cats, 2 dogs and 2 little kids. I had absolutely no privacy, and was woken up at 7 in the morning every morning. I was working nights :(

16. Woke up to the fire alarm. Came downstairs to find my housemate in his pants, curled up in a ball on the kitchen floor. A pork chop was on fire under the grill, and what I'm assuming was vegetables was now a black smoking charred thing in the bottom of a pan.

17. My housemate was having a party when a friend of ours came into my room saying he was in a bad way. When I go to find my housemate to tell him, he says 'leave him too it' and shuts the door. I spend the rest of the night mopping the guys brow while he calls me mother teresa. He died about two weeks later on a seperate occasion at someone elses house, from the same cocktail of drugs he'd been on that night.

18. Had our old lady next door neighbour knock on the door in the morning crying about the noise. Which I had to deal with, not my housemate who was passed out from making the noise by partying.

19. Got stuck with paying council tax and a massive BT bill because my housemate decided after we'd moved out that he didn't see why we had to pay that much... Because we DO, you ass! Even worse thing, he HAD thousands and thousands of pounds from a payout for an accident. He then went swanning off around thailand while I was stuck broke for months.

That's probably enough for now... :p

Last edited:
Oh, i actually remembered something that a flatmate did to me that pissed me off, when she was moving out she nicked some of my stuff, and some that was not even mine that i had borrowed...she had asked me if she could borrow books and albums from my room, so I said, aye, y'know, just borrow whatever you want...
So, when she is moving out, I notice, looking through the tape that has covered one of her packed boxes, sitting at the top of her piles of cd's, my 'limited edition' picture disc of the Manic Street Preacher's Holy Bible album, so i opened the box and took it back.
But, I forgot that she has also borrowed my sister's book, which was a big collection of Sylvia Plath's letter's to her mother, which i had borrowed to read. It turned out that was a birthday present my sister's ex had got her, and she was gutted it had been nicked.
this flatmate also nicked a Mozart CD collection I had sent away for, that was not for sale in the shops. That collection was the best performances of Mozart music i have ever heard, I got another collection since, and it was not as good.

God knows what else she nicked, probably a couple more albums and books I forgot about.

They're a total waste of time.

When I was a freshman, I had a roommate who called me a Jewish slur and threatened to break both of my legs once because I had the audacity to tell him to turn the TV down at 4am Tuesday morning (I had class at 8). He was belligerently drunk as usual. He was a guido, kinda like someone you would see on Jersey Shore. He was always stumbling in the room drunk around 3am or 4 with no regards for my privacy, sleep or studies. No one really liked him. I remember him once crying to a girl that someone at a bar had made fun of him and he was going to "call in his one favor" (as if the mob would intervene on his behalf). I moved out after one month. It was over 10 years ago and it still gives me shudders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"