How Do You Feel About Batman Killing?

You just keep the one rule. Snyder is a ****ing fool for making Batman kill. There was no reason for it.

Yeah, Batman was DEFINITELY killing those guys in the Warehouse fight in the UC. Can't say i'm a fan of it.

I'm fine with the killing, it's not cold blooded murder. It's just attack and respons, cause and effect, from what is around him and the flow of the action. Even the first guy that get it had he blows up the car in front of him and don't shoot, i think that settle his intention. He didn't shoot Anatoly in the head, he could have, he didn't. But he is still a ferment adept of this merry old ultra-violence, he burn the mark to the flesh and that shows the limit, a sadistic, cruel limit. (Of course sending Lex to Arkham is a bit sadistic too, but indirect). I like how he was a shadow in his first scene, like he could fade away and not face the facts but it's not easy facing up when your all world his black. No moore deep blue sea, but green shining, and him forseing things happening in true. It's shattered Batman, too much time in the black darkness of his cave, all his years and sacrifice painted and curved in his flesh.

You just keep the one rule. Snyder is a ****ing fool for making Batman kill. There was no reason for it.

Amen. It is what makes Batman Batman, to me. Anything else is just a guy in a Batsuit. That level of control that Bruce has over himself is his super power. It's that willpower that makes him so special.

Also, I can't believe anyone would be silly enough to make a comparison between Batman and Captain America...

Money and his will-power. Those are his super-powers.

Given the end of BvS, I'd say he's set up to turn over a new leaf. We started with Batman and Bruce at rock bottom; see Batman's rough methodology and the state of Wayne Manor in BvS. I took the scene where he didn't brand Lex as symbolic of Bruce moving to a better place.

As for the warehouse criminals - they played stupid games and collected their stupid prizes.

I'm ok with Batman killing in special ocassions. I see him like an one-man-army, but if the enemies have automatic weapons, grenades, etc. you can expect some casualties. Just like the cops (as refered earlier in this th), he should actively try to not kill, given the chance, but if there is no other way around (like saving martha), i can condone that.

I'm ok with Batman killing in special ocassions. I see him like an one-man-army, but if the enemies have automatic weapons, grenades, etc. you can expect some casualties. Just like the cops (as refered earlier in this th), he should actively try to not kill, given the chance, but if there is no other way around (like saving martha), i can condone that.

Yes. I still don't see all the "deaths" people claim too, just the usual beat-the-crap-outta-them approach that was just easier to see because of better fight choreography. Some died, sure, but doing stupid things like trying to reach for grenades that Batman disarmed from them, or their own wreckless driving, but I've seen the movie multiple times now and still wouldn't call Batman a murderer in it. Hell, I suspect KG Beast will be back, even though the flamethrower blew up (by him pointing the nozzle to the leak Batman sprung with the one gun he fired by hand in the movie, the dreams don't count - and if they did he was clearly a soldier at that point), just because he's KG Beast. Hopefully he'll be missing a hand.

For the most part, it's not any different than what we've seen in the other movies. Well, except Batman & Robin and Batman!: The Movie.

Didn't batman crash into a guy with his car?

The characterization of bats and shoes was terrible.

Yes. I still don't see all the "deaths" people claim too, just the usual beat-the-crap-outta-them approach that was just easier to see because of better fight choreography. Some died, sure, but doing stupid things like trying to reach for grenades that Batman disarmed from them, or their own wreckless driving, but I've seen the movie multiple times now and still wouldn't call Batman a murderer in it. Hell, I suspect KG Beast will be back, even though the flamethrower blew up (by him pointing the nozzle to the leak Batman sprung with the one gun he fired by hand in the movie, the dreams don't count - and if they did he was clearly a soldier at that point), just because he's KG Beast. Hopefully he'll be missing a hand.

For the most part, it's not any different than what we've seen in the other movies. Well, except Batman & Robin and Batman!: The Movie.

When watching the movie for the first time, i thought Batman would shoot the hand out of KGBeast... it seemed feasible. But that whole warehouse scene was almost perfect. Maybe a bit too violent but excellent nevertheless!

I mean, if you spend your nights fighting crime it will come a point where you will either kill or be killed. You can avoid this by making the character EVEN MORE unrealistic, to the point where, not only he can fight dozens of enemies at the same time, but he can defeat them all without killing them. A Batman who doesn't kill adds a new layer of complexity to his character which allows some very interesting storylines, like when Joker his trying to make Batman break his moral code. But at the same time it seems ridiculous to me that people get upset when Batman kills in situations where the most viable option is really killing.

At the end of the day, it depends how far-fetched you like your Batman.

"Yes, I feel perfectly fine with Batman killing people."

I'm not a big fan of Batman's no-killing rule because noone is going to benefit from this rule except for the villains. To them, it lets them know exactly what Ra's Al Ghul said... that Batman doesn't have the guts to do what is necessary to ensure the safety of Gotham city. As long as he keeps letting his enemies like the Joker live, more innocent people will die and the city will plunge into further chaos which is why in the Dark Knight, everyone in Gotham is blaming Batman for all of the Joker's terrorist acts. Batman needs to understand that sometimes killing is necessary because the villains will never stop doing what they're doing unless he makes them stop permanently.

I hope Batman burns down a petting zoo in the next movie.

"Yes, I feel perfectly fine with Batman killing people."

I'm not a big fan of Batman's no-killing rule because noone is going to benefit from this rule except for the villains. To them, it lets them know exactly what Ra's Al Ghul said... that Batman doesn't have the guts to do what is necessary to ensure the safety of Gotham city. As long as he keeps letting his enemies like the Joker live, more innocent people will die and the city will plunge into further chaos which is why in the Dark Knight, everyone in Gotham is blaming Batman for all of the Joker's terrorist acts. Batman needs to understand that sometimes killing is necessary because the villains will never stop doing what they're doing unless he makes them stop permanently.

I do think the rule is a bit hypocritical. He's already walking on thin ice by being a vigilante. If he really respected the law, he wouldn't be out there busting heads without oversight. Some stories handle it differently, though. They go a step further by explaining that if Batman were to kill, he would fall of the deep end and in his eyes break the promise he made to his parents. That makes more sense.

It's the nature of the character and it doesn't actively bother me at all, mind you. No-kill rule, no no-kill rule, give me a good story and I'll shut my mouth.

Last edited:
From seeing Suicide Squad, I can say Batman doesn't kill in the movie
Light spoilers

he notably saves Harley from drowning and turns her in to the authorities alive

also chooses to talk down Deadshoot instead of fighting/killing him

I do think the rule is a bit hypocritical. He's already walking on thin ice by being a vigilante. If he really respected the law, he wouldn't be out there busting heads without oversight. Some stories handle it differently, though. They go a step further by explaining that if Batman were to kill, he would fall of the deep end and in his eyes break the promise he made to his parents. That makes more sense.

There's a stubbornness to him not killing. It would be so much easier if he just carried a firearm and shot people. But, for me, him not having that arguably irrational and unattainable respect for human life is what sets him apart from any other violent criminal. I mean, he is violent and a criminal by definition. But there's a nihilistic cycle of death that comes inherent with a vigilante that's willing to take lives. That's the Punisher. To me, Batman is something else. More noble. Even if he can't uphold it at all times I'd rather he strive towards not killing.

To me, the defining characteristic of Batman is his no-kill rule. It's as essential to him as Batarangs and The Joker. Anyone writing a story (movie, comic or otherwise) that puts him in a situation where it's kill-or-be-killed is truly missing the point of the character.

I like that Batman tries to avoid it, but it doesn't bother me when it occasionally happens. I haven't seen BvS yet, so I don't know how it's handled there, but he's killed people in other mediums before.

Not to mention the beatings he gives some people are severe enough to cause them serious damage and death later on anyways. (Daredevil also does this) He's still my favorite no matter what.

Curious if, if we delve more into the Robin mythos how killing will be addressed. For example how long has Batman been straight up killing people? When he had (assuming chronology similar to comics) Dick was Batman lethal methods against criminals? Did both Dick and Jason use lethal force when they where robins? Or did Batman start killing after Jason's death, and it caused a schism between him and Dick?

The only clue we got is that the Robin costume came with a very pointy looking halberd

I can't understand the Joker being alive in a universe where Batman kills, especially one where Todd was murdered.

Like he has no qualms about offing hired goons and also ****ing Superman, but the guy who killed the kid you took in? We'll let the law handle this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"