The Dark Knight Rises How does TDKR make you feel? How do you feel about TDKR? Hate it?

I hated this film ( but I'm not an active "hater" if that makes any sense) but I need to watch it again with all of the points brought up in this thread. Great discussion going on in here.

I hated this film ( but I'm not an active "hater" if that makes any sense) but I need to watch it again with all of the points brought up in this thread. Great discussion going on in here.

There are many good points that have been raised in this section many times (and I've saved many of them :woot: if ever a need a need arises to explain "why" TDKR's story is that way) and I'm glad that we have posters here who continue to defend TDKR and can put into words what I can't and what i have yet to see everytime I want to rewatch TDKR. It's sad that in most parts and to most people, TDKR is immediately being labeled as a bad film.

I liked it right from the start, although I did have my issues with it. That said, it's aged well in my eyes.

Two plus years is a while. And we're already deep into WB/DC's wonderful DC Cinematic Universe... stuff.

5 to 6 years from now we're getting the first solo Batman movie since TDKR. Third time playing the character for Affleck but still. The new universe will get more and more wild with the futuristic elements. By the time we get to Justice League Part II, it's going to be jarring when i throw on Rises or anything from the trilogy. The new universe will probably feel so polished in comparison with the amount of CG, 3D, super-powered heroes. The crazier this world gets, the more stripped down and "earthy" Begins/Knight/Rises will feel. The smaller Rises will feel even though its scope was huge. I remember feeling like Burtons films were so much more comedic and fantastical after i saw Begins. I imagine myself feeling a little weird watching Nolans movies once im exposed to Snyders, but i can't really imagine loving a Justice League story more than a stand-alone Batman story. So for at least the next 6 years or so, i think my young heart will have a spot that's taken up by TDKR, as it's still my favorite Batman movie. Any movie that is directed by Nolan, and successfully (to me!) meshes The Cult with Dark Knight Returns, Knightfall, No Man's Land and at least 5 or 6 other comic books that i dig....that's gonna remain a winner for a long time.

Two plus years is a while. And we're already deep into WB/DC's wonderful DC Cinematic Universe... stuff.

"Deep into" this new DCCU? Hardly. There's been one movie, which came out last year. This is just the beginning. Who knows how that universe will turn out. It didn't have the greatest start.

Anyway, I haven't seen TDKR since like 2012. I don't suppose my feelings toward the film have changed much.

I think it's fair game to assess how a movie has aged 2 and a half years later. It's a long enough time to gain a bit of a different perspective. I mean I see people saying stuff like "it hasn't aged well" all the time, so if one has the opposite opinion that's cool too.

I know what you mean shauner, when we see the next version of the character it will inevitably affect how we view the old stuff. Same thing happened for me with the 89-97 movies. Like I had always viewed the Burton films as the dark/serious ones and the Schumacher ones as the camp ones, but I remember my mom and I re-watching Batman 89 shortly after seeing Begins and we were both like "wow this seems so cartoony now!" I never turned my back on those films but there was sort of a period where I kind of had to re-learn my love for them and appreciate them for what they are rather than allow myself to get discouraged by what they aren't.

You're right, Nolan's films will probably seem even more "earthy" after we see what the DCU is. Might make watching them more jarring for a while. But I kind of look forward to that. I think by the time Rises came out, even though it's the most comic booky and grand scale of the three, it was kind of easy to take the whole verisimilitude angle for granted by that point. I look forward to being able to go back and revisit the trilogy and Rises in particular down the road when I want that particular "itch" scratched. There will no doubt be crazy CG-battles and awesome fight scenes in Snyder's universe. But it's also a different way of achieving scale and spectacle. I'm interested to see if there's anything that will be done practically to rival things like the truck flip, hospital explosion, plane hijacking, using 11,000 extras, etc. I know he'll use tons of CG and green screen most likely, but I'd be curious to see if he tried at least one big set piece that was entirely practical just sort of as a tip of the hat to Nolan. If you watch The Fire Rises documentary, he clearly has a ton of respect for the way the trilogy was made.

:up:

Couldn't agree more.

Im excited to have all of these different options. Ill get the camp/comedy, the dark-fantasy/cartoony films, the earthy stand-alone's, the bigger superhero universe with more sci-fi & polish.

It's a pretty wide range:
Batman 89' - Batman & Robin - Batman Begins - Justice League

"Deep into" this new DCCU? Hardly. There's been one movie, which came out last year. This is just the beginning. Who knows how that universe will turn out. It didn't have the greatest start.

Anyway, I haven't seen TDKR since like 2012. I don't suppose my feelings toward the film have changed much.

You really should watch it again. Even to a guy like me, who has criticized quite a few aspects of the film and has it as his least favorite of the three in the trilogy, there is still something very dynamic, epic and simply exhilarating about the film. I think what it comes down to is the things the film absolutely gets right about the character of Batman and his universe.

Oh, I will watch it again sometime, no doubt. I'm too much of a Batman freak not to.

I think it's fair game to assess how a movie has aged 2 and a half years later. It's a long enough time to gain a bit of a different perspective. I mean I see people saying stuff like "it hasn't aged well" all the time, so if one has the opposite opinion that's cool too.

I know what you mean shauner, when we see the next version of the character it will inevitably affect how we view the old stuff. Same thing happened for me with the 89-97 movies. Like I had always viewed the Burton films as the dark/serious ones and the Schumacher ones as the camp ones, but I remember my mom and I re-watching Batman 89 shortly after seeing Begins and we were both like "wow this seems so cartoony now!" I never turned my back on those films but there was sort of a period where I kind of had to re-learn my love for them and appreciate them for what they are rather than allow myself to get discouraged by what they aren't.

You're right, Nolan's films will probably seem even more "earthy" after we see what the DCU is. Might make watching them more jarring for a while. But I kind of look forward to that. I think by the time Rises came out, even though it's the most comic booky and grand scale of the three, it was kind of easy to take the whole verisimilitude angle for granted by that point. I look forward to being able to go back and revisit the trilogy and Rises in particular down the road when I want that particular "itch" scratched. There will no doubt be crazy CG-battles and awesome fight scenes in Snyder's universe. But it's also a different way of achieving scale and spectacle. I'm interested to see if there's anything that will be done practically to rival things like the truck flip, hospital explosion, plane hijacking, using 11,000 extras, etc. I know he'll use tons of CG and green screen most likely, but I'd be curious to see if he tried at least one big set piece that was entirely practical just sort of as a tip of the hat to Nolan. If you watch The Fire Rises documentary, he clearly has a ton of respect for the way the trilogy was made.
I'll have no problem separating and appreciating the different movie universes. There are so many different takes on the characters in the comic canon and Elseworld stories.

Frank Miller is just one writer and he went to several different extremes with his Batman stories.

I was left frustrated and disappointed in most of the main characters. I actively dislike TDK and still felt it was much better than TDKR. It made me want to see a Batman movie just like a bad burger makes you want to eat a good one.

With TDK , even though I don't like it I can understand why they like it. TDKR rises seemed to fail in everything it tried to do except Catwoman.

It's funny, cuz I came into the thread tonight on a whim, read Steamteck's post and shook my head in pity; and then I spent a few minutes reading the past posts from the last month or so.
I just want to congratulate everyone on so open-mindedly and whole heartedly exploring the depth and richness of the themes and symbolism of the film. More and more as I watch Nolan's films I realize that there's always so much to see, so much to feel in his films. They're always layered so deep that there's intellectual stimuli in every moment. And I have enjoyed reading your feelings and rethinking through the films themes in my head along with you.

It's funny, cuz I came into the thread tonight on a whim, read Steamteck's post and shook my head in pity; and then I spent a few minutes reading the past posts from the last month or so.
I just want to congratulate everyone on so open-mindedly and whole heartedly exploring the depth and richness of the themes and symbolism of the film. More and more as I watch Nolan's films I realize that there's always so much to see, so much to feel in his films. They're always layered so deep that there's intellectual stimuli in every moment. And I have enjoyed reading your feelings and rethinking through the films themes in my head along with you.

I honestly wish I could see what some of you folks see in these films but I don't. Even when its explained in detail I just don't see it in the writing and directing although some of the performances are solid. It has made me understand those who don't see all the great things in other films such as MOS that I do though.:yay:

I honestly wish I could see what some of you folks see in these films but I don't. Even when its explained in detail I just don't see it in the writing and directing although some of the performances are solid. It has made me understand those who don't see all the great things in other films such as MOS that I do though.:yay:

I´m one of those who defends MOS. I loved the movie. I think it´s better than a lot of other movies that are highly praised, such as The Avengers, TWS, GOG, IM. But i don´t think it comes even close to be as good as any of the movies from TDK trilogy.

I think there are a good handful of reasons that made TDK trilogy so successful. We´re talking about comic book action movies that offered something that people weren´t used to. TDK trilogy did things in a different way than any other CB movie, including current CB movies.

You see, when i watch movies like The Avengers, Iron Man and even MOS, there´s a big deal of predictability to it. These are very standard and straight forward storylines that, frankly, are more suited to kids than to an adult who likes to feel challenged. TDK and TDKR, on the other hand, are a little bit more layered in terms of plot. They´re more immersive. Let´s say TDK made me more interested in watching the development of the story than watching the next cool CGI action scene. I enjoyed The Avengers and i enjoyed MOS, but there was never one god damn moment where i was curious about the plot itself, because these movies are just way too predictable and simplistic.

The characters in TDK trilogy are deep, well developed and well played. Nolan did a great job at selling the characters motivations. He made it easy for the audience to buy into why they were doing what they were doing. And then you have the biggest concentration of talent that i´ve seen in any CB movie i can remember. In TDK, for example, you have Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Heath Ledger, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Aaron Eckhart, Cilian Murphy. I mean, what other super hero movie has a better team of actors working together?

I think it´s pretty easy to understand why these films were able to make so many people fall in love with them. They´re films. Like it or hate it, they´re films. I can show them to my mother without her getting bored. I can show them to a smart, mature audience without them taking it as a boring joke, and that means a lot to me. I can´t do that with The Avengers. Maybe you can, but i can´t. This is just my experience.

To me, in my personal experience, the biggest evidence that TDK trilogy is just vastly superior to any other CB movies is that i´ve showed it to several people who hate CB movies, and they loved them to death. Like them or hate them, they´re very unique CB movies.

I think it is the best goddamned batman film ever. It was pulse pounding and played out like a horror movie. I was more intimidated by Bane then Joker. I watch TDKR a lot more than TDK or BB.

TDKR has all the elements of a decent Batman story, all it needed was some morre screen time to fully develop some characters.

It still is very well made Batman movie.

I always have & always will love TDKR because it's a great comic book movie that has a lot of interesting elements to it. All of the performances are top notch, it has an engaging story & it's a nice conclusion to a fantastic trilogy.

It's a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"