How Do You Feel About Singer NOW Thread

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by DIRECTOR, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Superwoman Prime Damaged Beyond Repair

I feel about Singer what I've felt for quite some time now: While I am neutral about the man himself, I do not want to see him directing another Superman film.

2. Superwoman Prime Damaged Beyond Repair

How do you feel about Singer now? You last revealed that in this thread well before SR was even released.

3. aia Registered

I liked that Singer tried to do something different with it. I watched it the other night and it's a great film. But the kid and the plot poses to many problems for a future movie. Part of me can't help but be upset at Singer it's almost like he knew the way it would be after Superman Returns. Its like he's killed Superman for any other director or writter. My husband made a joke about it the other night and said Singer would of said Ha get out of that one! Hearing what he's planned or rumours of what he's planned make me want to shout no do another film then!

4. Panthro Team Language

Preach it!

5. El Payaso Registered

In fact Christophger Nolan said he liked Burton's Batman and kept the black armoured suit concept, the glider-cape and the gauntlets.

6. Superwoman Prime Damaged Beyond Repair

Yeah. Even The Dark Knight had an obvious B'89 nod in it. It was the "Come on, hit me!!" scene.

7. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I still feel Bryan Singer is one of the best directors out there, he isnt quite on the level of the Cameron's, Jackson's or Spielberg's of this world, but in his generation few are better at directing than Singer for me.

With SR, I still think he gave us an excellent Superman movie, that I personally will be watching for years to come, and I would have loved to see a sequel to.

8. DIRECTOR Registered

I think Bryan Singer got way over his head with SR. I mean, he was excited to make a Superman, but he made it like a fanboy of the old Donner films. Which is not the way to go when recreating a character. You did realize that, yes we like the Donner film, but we dont' want to repeat the same exact thing in this generation. What is so sad is there were so many scenes in the movie that were incredible, scenes that can only be in a Superman movie, but sadly it was wasted. What is left in another movie??

I'm not saying Singer is the next Schumacher, but it does certainly look like it doesn't. Ever since SR, the Superman character is now in limbo THANKS TO SINGER.

9. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Fincher and Nolan are awesome also. What was it Singer directed that was so great? The Usual Suspects is a classic, and X1 and X2 not only were a big factor in the current comic-book phase, but they are still rated as 2 of the best also.

I thoroughly enjoyed Valkyrie also.

10. Fresh Prince Registered

They should of done Superman Returns like this.

Have it be its own movie in its own universe not Donnerverse. Its the 21st century that cheesy stuff will not work in this day and age. Also would of had the mvoie be like the Godfather Part 2 were they show flashbacks and present day elements in the film. Show Clark when he was a baby on Krypton, then as a teenager in Smallville then as a young adult traveling around the world, then working at the DP for the first time and becoming SM for the first time aswell.

Meanwhile in the present day, Superman returns to earth after being abscent for 7 years. I would of kept that part of the film. Clark Kent stays in SV for awhile to get back on his feet then go back to Metropolis and work at the DP again. And him and Lois rekindle again. Though I not have her act like a total ***** and have a kid or boyfriend too.

As for Lex Luthor instead of the lame conman routine, I would of had him be the scientists like he was in the earlier comic books who wants to be like Frankenstein. Bascially be a GOD. He wants to have that power. He makes cures though for diseases so the people will be on his side of course so they will not know about his real plans. Also for people crying about Superman not fighting anybody Luthor would make a giant robot with kyrptonite that Superman fights.

Now as for Metropolis, it was an okay city but could of been better. It was not Metropolis. I would of had a mixture of great cities across the world and have a ''timeless'' look and feel to it.

11. El Payaso Registered

Spiderman franchise anyone?

12. VenomsMom Registered

I truly have no problem with the man himself. He has shown talent with other films. However..........As far as the Superman francise goes, they should never give him the keys the this car again especially after he crashed it into a brick wall. They are still picking up the pieces for cryin out loud.

13. Fresh Prince Registered

Stop it! Its not a cheeseball fest its just light toned.

14. El Payaso Registered

Why would I?

Spiderman 3 was a big festival of cheese. And the two first ones had its god dose of the yellow dairy substance. At the very least the Spiderman movies' cheese-level is comparable to that of the Superman movies. I'd say SR cheese-level is quite lower than that of any of the Spiderman's movies.

15. DIRECTOR Registered

16. El Payaso Registered

In a time where most superhero movies are average crap, Singer gave me the second best Superman movie I've seen. I won't blame him for the legal problems that complicated things. I just thank him for the things he actually did.

#366 El Payaso, Sep 15, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  17. Micromind New World New Rules

I think Singer took a Huge risk with introducing a Superman's Kid and a moody glum atmosphere, but still, I would rank SR, above Superman The donner Cut, Superman 2, Superman 3, superman 4 not to mention X1, X2, X3. It can be condidered as a worthy sequel to first two Donner movies, and the closure of DonnerVerse.

18. Adenjo Cottonheadedninnymuggins

I had faith in Singer during the build up to SR...
    I remember over at bluetights.net in one of the threads there the rumour of Superman having a kid was mentioned and I argued that Singer was such a fan he'd never piss on the legend by introducing a kid for Superman... Well he did. Bigtime.
    Singer also allowed a costume designer who had no idea what she was doing let the basic colours of Supermans costume wrong.
    Singer also called a halt to his leading actors gym workouts because he'd had the bright idea of getting all the superman outfits made BEFORE the actor had started working out.
    Singer made the decision to hang his actor from flight harnesses for hours on end before replacing most of the flying shots with sub-standard CGI flight shots.

How do i feel about Singer? I think he's an idiot that had the golden goose but decided to kill it before it even laid an egg.

19. -JKR- Registered

Well, exactly like I felt about Singer years ago:

I loved The Usual Suspects
    I haven't seen Apt Pupil
    I liked X-Men
    I liked X2, even though the direction seemed kind of bland in this one, despite the larger budget
    I didn't really like Superman Returns
    I thought Valkyrie was okay