Revenge of the Fallen How important is robot dialogue to you?

Darthkush

Avenger
Reaction score
I think it bears asking. I've now seen several tv spots and an few trailers and the only robot I ever hear talking is Optimus. Does anybody know if it's different this time or is it more of the same? When the first film came out, I had a lot of issues with it but I loved seeing the Autobots and Decepticons speak to each other(in english!). Felt...more like it should. I especially miss Megatron/Starscream banter. We got a taste of it in part 1 but I want the whole enchilada. So how big a deal is this to you guys? For me, it's something of a dealbreaker. I'd rate it as important. If the rest of the film is awesome and better than the first than It won't be as big a deal but if it's about the same I HAVE to have it this time.

Last edited:
Very, duh!
Sorry mate but your thread is pretty pointless.

No, I don't agree.
If you think a Bayformers with Shakespearian dialogues is better than a G1 film with a real smart story full of plot twists, but with the TFs not speaking, I can't understand your taste.
I'd prefer the latter.

I want to hear Starscream/Megatron arguments. Please...

Personally, I thought the talking between Prime and Megatron in the final battle was absolutely spot on. It was perfect, and it was just like watching the cartoon again, especially this exchange:

Megs: "Human dont deserve to live!"
Prime: "They deserve to choose for themselves!"
Megs: "Then you will die with them.........join them in extinction!"

More of that would be very welcome from me.

As anyone who has seen Starcrash can attest, robot dialogue can be a deal-breaker.

So what, robots should just appear out of nowhere and fight each other with the occasional Prime lecture?
I would like to see a Decepticon get together, where Megs gets back his throne and they discuss their plan. And the same with the autobots i guess. The robots should be treated like actual characters and not as big two dimensional monsters that cause explosions. They are the protagonists of the movie. They should have dialogues, character depth, and loads of screentime. Occasionally some humans can get squashed but thats all.
Sure the designs and the explosions are awesome, but there has to be more than that in a film. As Ironman and the Dark Knight proved, you need to have more than good CGI if you want to stay at the top of the box office for more than one week.

I am pretty sure that someone like Nolan could write a great plot and a great script for a movie with giant robots. Not sure if it would be as fun from all the seriousness and the grimdark though.

And luca_frontino, Ironman proved that you can have great CGI, explosions, a good story, a great scipt, loads of fun, all in one film. But Bay is from the dimension of explosions i guess. Still, his first movie was pretty good.

Last edited:
I want more dialogue all around, especially from the Decepticons.

I'm all for dialogue. But you have to understand showing the Robots on screen is attached to a substantial dollar sign. Every second of idle moment of the Transformers costs more than actors being idle. That is the reason you don't see them much in the first film. The budget is increased for ROTF and we already see that there are more robot moments. But these moments have to count because the CGI costs alot. Aso, don't complain about Decepticons being two dimensional when in the franchise most of them were. Only a few of them stood out, and the rest had their own "thing"(thug, insanity,blind loyalty).

Very important. The fact that the TF's on a whole have had a lot of personality has always been part of the appeal to me.

I'm all for dialogue. But you have to understand showing the Robots on screen is attached to a substantial dollar sign. Every second of idle moment of the Transformers costs more than actors being idle. That is the reason you don't see them much in the first film. The budget is increased for ROTF and we already see that there are more robot moments. But these moments have to count because the CGI costs alot. Aso, don't complain about Decepticons being two dimensional when in the franchise most of them were. Only a few of them stood out, and the rest had their own "thing"(thug, insanity,blind loyalty).

I would argue that those handful of Decepticons that weren't two dimensional stood out more than most or all of the Autobots. I know I'm not alone in that statement either.

Mr. Earle, I don' think my thread is pointless because everywehre I turn on the internet, the primary concern of fans of this seems to be "who's in it" and "who will blow up who and how?". People seem more concerned about what Soundwave transforms into than if he actually gets to SAY anything. I'm a huge fan of the franchise and I love the comics and some of the older toys and toons(up through beast wars but not much after that) and for me, Transformers has always been about the interactions between thse two robot factions and each other not simply about them killing each other and nothing else.

Aveitwithjamon, you are right. The entire film needs to be brimming with that sort of exchange. I don't think the humans need to be absent(the comic All hail Megatron is doing an excellant job balancing the humans and robots without sidlining the transformers) but thy shouldn't be the main stars(short of maybe Sam).

Aveitwithjamon, you are right. The entire film needs to be brimming with that sort of exchange. I don't think the humans need to be absent(the comic All hail Megatron is doing an excellant job balancing the humans and robots without sidlining the transformers) but thy shouldn't be the main stars(short of maybe Sam).

Agreed, Sam and Mikaela should have big roles, but that should be it with regards the human this time. Infiltration, and even furthermore Escalation and Devastation got the balance just right for me, i'm hoping this movie gets the balance right also. The Decepticons especially need a bit more dialogue this time around.

The less dialogue with the robots, the better. Only meaningful conversation to keep the plot going. No casual conversation, it becomes really distracting and corny the way Bay does it..

It's very important in order to establish these beings as intelligent creatures.

First of all, this isnt G1 and nobody said it has to be. And IIRC G1 had lots of dialogue. Sure the CGI costs a lot, but i think that rendering a fight with **** getting blown up is much more expensive than an idle scene were only few parts move from frame to frame. Besides, there could be some dialogue during the fights as well.
It's very important in order to establish these beings as intelligent creatures.
Exactly. They are the reason we go to the theatre for. For an 8 year old kid, baysplosions will be enough, but I want dialogue. I want to feel the relationship between the bots, the legend and aura that follows Prime and Megatron. The treacherous nature of Starscream, etc. That needs dialogue and the lack of it was the reason the first movie wasnt so good.
Do we really want them to exchange a few words in jibberish again? (Although i found the jibberish very cool and intimidating)

I don't think the first movie wasn't good because there wasn't a ton of dialogue but as with the human characters, it's important to add in as much dialogue so people understand the character. It's going to be a really bad thing if people come to the theater, walk out, and still don't have a second clue as to who the characters are. These aren't mindless beasts, they are intelligent beings well capable of thought. To only have them smash up everything and fight will be a waste of very valuable characters and time that could be spent working on furthering their characterization.

First of all, this isnt G1 and nobody said it has to be. And IIRC G1 had lots of dialogue. Sure the CGI costs a lot, but i think that rendering a fight with **** getting blown up is much more expensive than an idle scene were only few parts move from frame to frame. Besides, there could be some dialogue during the fights as well. Exactly. They are the reason we go to the theatre for. For an 8 year old kid, baysplosions will be enough, but I want dialogue. I want to feel the relationship between the bots, the legend and aura that follows Prime and Megatron. The treacherous nature of Starscream, etc. That needs dialogue and the lack of it was the reason the first movie wasnt so good.
Do we really want them to exchange a few words in jibberish again? (Although i found the jibberish very cool and intimidating)

How defensive. I didn't even single out G1. I was talking about Transformers as a franchise in its entirety has only have a handful of Decepticons who aren't thugs or blindly loyal to Megatron.

Come on, you have Starscream and Megatron in the same scene together. You have got to have an argument. Otherwise, what's the point? Half the fun is watching Starscream try to betray his leader. That's almost as fun as the usual Autobot/Decepticon battles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"