How Man Of Steel Could Set Up Aquaman Movie

kalhawj

Sidekick
Reaction score
Link:

Man Of Steel writer David S. Goyer has stated in numerous interviews that Man Of Steel helps set up the emergence of other DC Comics superheroes. There were some rather obvious Easter Eggs in the Man Of Steel such as the Wayne Enterprises logo on a satellite and the LexCorp logo plastered all over the place. However, there were a couple not so obvious Easter Eggs, where interpretation is open for debate.

In one particular scene, Clark Kent uses his powers to rescue workers from an oil rig that is engulfed in flames. While the scene helps display Clark’s powers and show his character emerging, there could be another purpose for the scene. The name of the drilling company was Merrevale Oil, which is a company that has had several run-ins with Aquaman in the comic books.
After the oil rig fire, Clark is floating in the ocean, when two humpback whales swim near him. The whales are making sound, which could be interpreted as them communicating with each other or someone else. A theory that has been circulating on message boards is that the whales are communicating to Aquaman, who sent them to check on Clark.
While we doubt Aquaman would have been responsible for the oil rig fire, because that would implicate him as an attempted murderer of the men onboard, it could be that Aquaman was watching the disaster. Aquaman could choose to reveal himself to the world over concerns about the destruction oil-related catastrophes are causing to the world’s oceans.

Also, as previously reported, one of the military passwords used in the Man Of Steel was the word “trident,” which could also be a reference to Aquaman. With recent rumors of an Aquaman movie could these scenes be setting up the emergence of Aquaman into the DC Cinematic Universe. Even if Aquaman doesn’t swim into his own movie, these scenes could be set up to introduce Aquaman in Man Of Steel 2 to test the waters for his own standalone movie.

I think this is a good nod to Aquaman and perhaps with the success of MOS an upcoming movie like Aquaman could be a surprise announcement by WB. It would be the start of many of their share DCU movie line up to lead up to JL. What are your thoughts about this?

Last edited:
I hope so. Lets get this thing going. Unlike Marvel DC has all of its properties under one roof but we cant get any of the off.

Aquaman would make a great movie. And to see him actually destroy the oil rig and maybe rescue a shirtless bearded hobo (Clark) to the shore would be so sweet.

LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!

In the novelization it has even more potential to be a lead in to Aquaman because the whales actually nudge Clark towards the surface and stay with him from the time he hits the water to the time he swims for land. While I personally didn't make any connections to Aquaman while watching or reading that scene, I would love to see the opening of the Aquaman movie be the same scene from Arthur's perspective.

That they already set up that "others will follow Superman into the sun" (out of the shadows) then there is the potential to have a scene in all of the potentially coming DC movies that show the other heroes perspectives on different things that happen in MoS.

Last edited:
If WB begins the DCCU (outside of MoS) with Aquaman they would be really really stupid. Aquaman (the New 52 version at least) is a solid superhero BUT the GA doesn't know that. He's still just a guy that talks to fish. And attempting to change that perception with a giant movie is a surefire way to kill the DCCU before it even gets started.

They need WW and Flash solo movies, and a MoS 2 before they even seriously consider bringing Aquaman into the DCCU.

If WB begins the DCCU (outside of MoS) with Aquaman they would be really really stupid. Aquaman (the New 52 version at least) is a solid superhero BUT the GA doesn't know that. He's still just a guy that talks to fish. And attempting to change that perception with a giant movie is a surefire way to kill the DCCU before it even gets started.

They need WW and Flash solo movies, and a MoS 2 before they even seriously consider bringing Aquaman into the DCCU.

If ten years ago you would have told anyone that a multibillion dollar franchise was going to be started by Ironman, they would have looked at you like you were crazy...probably even the people at the studio who were working on the movie...). So, if you find the right combination or actors, script and director and achieve the right balance of action, humor and story I think it is fair to say the sky is the limit. I'm not saying an Aquaman movie is going to make a billion dollars, I am only saying any movie "done right" has the potential to be a hit.

Someone get me Vincent Chase. Let's make this happen. :awesome: :oldrazz:

Dated joked? Maybe. But it still works.

The theory about the whales is interesting if a bit reading too much into it but I like that idea, and of course you need Adrian Groin, Grunyan, Groening, Grainy whatever the hell you say his name to play him.

ok that last part was just sarcasm. :p

If ten years ago you would have told anyone that a multibillion dollar franchise was going to be started by Ironman, they would have looked at you like you were crazy...probably even the people at the studio who were working on the movie...). So, if you find the right combination or actors, script and director and achieve the right balance of action, humor and story I think it is fair to say the sky is the limit. I'm not saying an Aquaman movie is going to make a billion dollars, I am only saying any movie "done right" has the potential to be a hit.

I agree but I just think Aqauman is a lot harder to "get right," and a harder sell, than other heroes, why start with him?

Flash would probably be the easiest DC hero (outside of Batman and Superman) to bring to big screen and I think he should be next. He's just a pretty average guy, a CSI so there is that element, the movie can be made for pretty cheap (~$150 million) and even the Barry Allen version has a certain wit, lightness, and charm that would appeal to GA.

All they really need to do with Flash is change the costume and make it a more armored look, choose the right villain (very important). I think it will be pretty easy to find a talented writer for the character as well.

Aquaman will eventually get made, I just really believe it's a mistake to begin with him.

I agree. Same can be said for Thor, who is on the same tier as Aquaman. And who wouldny find A world under the ocean an interesting film.

It's safe to say that any other DC movie to be made will be base on MOS universe to lead up to JL. If done right Aquaman movie would be awesome with some amazing underwater scene and action.

I agree but I just think Aqauman is a lot harder to "get right," and a harder sell than other heroes, why start with him?

Flash would probably be the easiest DC hero (outside of Batman and Superman) to bring to big screen and I think he should be next. He's just a pretty average guy, a CSI so there is that element, the movie can be made for pretty cheap (~$150 million) and even the Barry Allen version has a certain wit, lightness, and charm that would appeal to GA.

All they really need to do with Flash is change the costume and make it a more armored look, choose the right villain (very important). I think it will be pretty easy to find a talented writer for the character as well.

Aquaman will eventually get made, I just really believe it's a mistake the begin with him.

Why cant they do both. In the year that there is no Superman Or Batman.

Aquaman would be the first CBM to base a hero from the sea. One that we have yet to see on the big screen even on marvel side as well.

Now, imagine this: Faora and Flash facing off against each other. Talk about a sheer blur... if they could make him in any respects like Flash in the animated shows (I've only seen one part of one of them when Superman and Flash finally race each other in a clip on YouTube, I never watched any of the animated series shows) with that cocky smarmy attitude it would be like:

Faora throws a punch - MISSED ME - another - DID YOU HAVE YOUR COFFEE TODAY, DEAR? - zips forward for a kick - OH PLEASE, ARE YOU STUCK IN MOLASSES OR SOMETHING? and so on as Flash just dodges everything she's tossing his way.

Good lord can you imagine what that kind of fight might actually look like on a big screen? :D

If they are going to use Green Lantern. Use John Stewart. I just think it would be interesting to do an African American superhero and see the urban neighborhoods of Detroit and where he comes from.

My opinion. Chadwick Boseman, already did a movie for Warner Bros. He would be perfect.

He bailed. Gyllenhall is in talks. :cwink:

I think a good Aquaman movie would be like Rocky switching to his South Paw while fighting Apollo for the first. The GA, ironically, can sometimes be smarter than you give them credit for. If not Aqauman, then the Flash.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they later established that it was due to Aquaman's intervention that allowed Clark to land up on shore after he destroyed the world machine, along with some of the other DC heroes having kept a close eye on the events that took place in MOS due to Zod's attacks.

aquaman2poster-608x859.jpg

here ya go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1