Aquaman Box Office Thread

S. Korea has been the biggest overseas market for Aquaman after China. Also, it's great that soon Aquaman will go past POTC4 (Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) for unadjusted overseas total. That movie was the worst of POTC movies.
Korea can be big for CBMs. I think it was behind only China and U.K. for IW too.

Too bad the final WW B.O. (unadjusted) just falls short into beating Civil War's. But come on Japan, give AQ some great sexy legs.

How was Japan's numbers this weekend?

1.9m over the 2 day (Saturday & Sunday) weekend. The cumulative total as on 17/02/2019 is 8.7m. Aquaman's range for the final Japan total was estimated at somewhere between (13.6 - 18.1)m earlier during the midweek. So it still has at-least 4.9m left in the tank after this weekend.

Looks like OS actuals bumped up due to Japan which came in a touch higher for an $8.8 million total through Sunday. From corpse:

01 (01) ¥195,969,200 ($1.8 million), -38%, ¥964,945,800 ($8.8 million), Aquaman (Warner Bros.) WK2

>Aquaman repeats atop the box office, however, while this is its second victory in revenue, it actually comes in second place once again in admissions (selling 126,000). Its second weekend drop is basically the standard for the genre, and it's on track for a total a little above ¥1.5 billion ($15 million), perhaps finishing with ¥1.6 billion or so.

Looks like OS actuals bumped up due to Japan which came in a touch higher for an $8.8 million total through Sunday. From corpse:

01 (01) ¥195,969,200 ($1.8 million), -38%, ¥964,945,800 ($8.8 million), Aquaman (Warner Bros.) WK2

>Aquaman repeats atop the box office, however, while this is its second victory in revenue, it actually comes in second place once again in admissions (selling 126,000). Its second weekend drop is basically the standard for the genre, and it's on track for a total a little above ¥1.5 billion ($15 million), perhaps finishing with ¥1.6 billion or so.
$15m, cool. A nice late boost to the total.

Looks like the actuals, such as they are, are in through Monday:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $331,750,214 29.3%
+ Foreign: $800,700,000 70.7%
= Worldwide: $1,132,450,214

Throughly amazing performance. It will probably puff its way to 1.144-ish, so if it doesn’t top Civil War it’s so close as to not matter. No one thought it would ever get near that level. Runs like this are what makes watching the box office fun. If I’m ever in a bar with James Wan, he’s drinking for free that night.

CA: Civil War had the benefit of having a bigger opening, the very fact that Aquaman is coming close to worldwide collections of CW despite not a huge opening is remarkable.

Had Justice League been a smash hit at B.O., Aquaman's opening week would have been higher, which might have been the initial idea at Warner Bros.

These movies (Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Aquaman) have Overperformed despite not any getting boost from movies that preceded them (Batman v Superman, Justice League).

CA: Civil War had the benefit of having a bigger opening, the very fact that Aquaman is coming close to worldwide collections of CW despite not a huge opening is remarkable.

Had Justice League been a smash hit at B.O., Aquaman's opening week would have been higher, which might have been the initial idea at Warner Bros.

Civil War box office had a number of things in its favor:
1) it was basically Avengers 2.5, bringing in Iron Man as almost a co-lead.
2) it has the film debut of Black Panther.
3) it had the MCU debut of Spider-Man.
4) it had the Marvel brand behind it.

And I am someone who considers Civil War as possibly his favorite MCU film, maybe even favorite Marvel film period. But this film was well set up to be a monumental smash.

Aquaman, on the other hand, was coming off of a disappointing Justice League film, and with a DCEU brand that didn’t have the strongest reputation outside of Wonder Woman, and was opening around the same time as other major, potential “blockbuster” films.

One wonders what the box office would have been if people loved Justice League and had its opening weekend all to itself.

Civil War box office had a number of things in its favor:
1) it was basically Avengers 2.5, bringing in Iron Man as almost a co-lead.
2) it has the film debut of Black Panther.
3) it had the MCU debut of Spider-Man.
4) it had the Marvel brand behind it.

And I am someone who considers Civil War as possibly his favorite MCU film, maybe even favorite Marvel film period. But this film was well set up to be a monumental smash.

Aquaman, on the other hand, was coming off of a disappointing Justice League film, and with a DCEU brand that didn’t have the strongest reputation outside of Wonder Woman, and was opening around the same time as other major, potential “blockbuster” films.

One wonders what the box office would have been if people loved Justice League and had its opening weekend all to itself.
Yeah, all of that too. And the fact that Momoa was not considered as a 'big name movie star" like Rock or even RDJ, whereas Civil War was full of well known, established actors, who had previously carried their own solo movies successfully.

I would say that since Aquaman now is the highest grossing DCEU film that you can basically build off of that for future DCEU films going forward but this movie more or less puts Momoa into the upper echelon of Hollywood now

I would say that since Aquaman now is the highest grossing DCEU film that you can basically build off of that for future DCEU films going forward but this movie more or less puts Momoa into the upper echelon of Hollywood now
Momoa is pretty much a star now. He's going to be in Dune. It's interesting, during the trailer phase for JL, many were down on momoa's acting and his one liners (though I personally thought he was good in the Red Road and was psyched about him as Aquaman). Some of the people who were hesitant if Momoa can handle the lead are now excited. It really is cool to see the transformation of Momoa's Hollywood status. Of course, the rest falls on him... the roles he picks etc.

Momoa is pretty much a star now. He's going to be in Dune. It's interesting, during the trailer phase for JL, many were down on momoa's acting and his one liners (though I personally thought he was good in the Red Road and was psyched about him as Aquaman). Some of the people who were hesitant if Momoa can handle the lead are now excited. It really is cool to see the transformation of Momoa's Hollywood status. Of course, the rest falls on him... the roles he picks etc.

Exactly and his salary going forward for DCEU films should he appear in them is gonna no doubt go up

what are this weekend's estimates? Does anybody know?
It’s too far gone from the top 10 for any more domestic estimates from the big sites like deadline. I’d say something around $1.1 million, give or take a hundred thou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"