The Dark Knight How many people are still confused?

....sigh...there is more confusion over this thread then the BB itself. Okay, this thread is not someone on the board asking if BB is a prequel, it's the people on the board discussing how the general public still think it is.

And if you get angry because people in the general public still get confused over that then you're being quite ignorant and silly.

Also, why on earth wouldn't they be confused? B89 was hugely popular in its day, and most people knew that quite a few Batman movies had been coming out just a few years ago. Why wouldn't they think it was connected to the old series. Added to that, WB did a horrid job marketing the film, so bad that many press agencies and TV shows were calling it a prequel. Not everyone frequents a batman message board you know.

VERY good point. As much as it bugs the hell out of me to hear the casual movie goer complain about BB becuase they dont understand that it isnt connected to the other Batman flick, I have to agree that its WB's fault for not making it more apparent and marketing the movie better. But as some other members were saying earlier, hopefully the majority of casual movie goers will understand better once TDK and/or TDK teaser comes out.

I remember when I took my Dad to see Begins, as we were leaving I heard a guy say, "so the next one will have Joker?". His wife replied, "No, that already happened, this showed you what happened before that one." I wanted so bad to tell them the whats what, but why? If poeple dont get, then they dont get it. Have any of you tried explainign the whole reboot thing to a general movie goer? It takes forever!

I remember when I took my Dad to see Begins, as we were leaving I heard a guy say, "so the next one will have Joker?". His wife replied, "No, that already happened, this showed you what happened before that one." I wanted so bad to tell them the whats what, but why? If poeple dont get, then they dont get it. Have any of you tried explainign the whole reboot thing to a general movie goer? It takes forever!

Yes it does take forever... I did it a million times just because I love BB so much I wanted them to appreciate it and understand it as much as I did/do.

lol @ explaining this film being a chore.

All you gotta do is tell people it's a remake and they'll know that it's a restart.

Not really because a remake and a restart arent the same thing.

Dude a remake could be anything from a direct copy of the original to a completely new version of something that was previously made. This is a remake it's just not a rehash. The word restart was used to simplify this but it turns out it just confuses people further it seems.

I know SuperHeroHype.com is its own little world. So, I need you to look outside your computer and tell me how many people are still confused about this franchise. Do you know anybody who still thinks that Batman Begins is a prequel? I do. :csad:

I have a feeling that once the trailer for Dark Knight is released people who are still lost will start to understand that this has nothing to do with the other films.

For now, however, we still have confusion out there. I blame WB. They should have done a better job back in 2005. WB didn't really explain that it was a restart. Heck, many media outlets were calling it a prequel!

I can understand that,but im hoping that once this film comes out..people will understand that from the failire of the franchise in the 90`s this is a re-do of the series..basically from Burton`s 2 films.

That scene was a flashback, and could be put in any Batman movie.

Don't degrade a person because he or she haven't a clue of this world. I have friends who are highly educated, and understanding, and still couldn't put the pieces together.

Don't be a jerk.

What are you talking about? How could that scene be put in any Batman movie? In Batman it's VERY clear that Joker killed them. In Batman Begins it's VERY clear that Joe Chill killed them.

I can understand why some people might not be able to put the pieces together, heck I had to explain that Joe Chill is the killer in the comics to many people, but to think it's a prequel? Come one... it's not rocket science man.

If you have a question then do some research... that's the problem with people today, they want EVERYTHING spoon feed.... :whatever:

As far as being a jerk....

I'm not trying to single anyone out or point fingers, just saying what I think.

If you think I'm a being a jerk I'll tell you what, you stop using that avatar (which you should be shot for) and I'll stop being a jerk. Deal? :woot:

My bestfriend said to me, when BB was in production, "people aren't ready for another Batman movie." I think he was correct. All, yes ALL, of my friends who aren't Batman fans, or DC for that matter, did NOT go see BB in theater.

However, oddly enough, later said persons saw the movie on HBO, Cinemax, or a rented DVD and loved it. Go figure.

Yeah, go figure... :whatever:

yes but, unlike us, the general public dosen't have all the movies memorized. hopefully this new movie will straighten out all the prequel non-sence.

yes but, unlike us, the general public dosen't have all the movies memorized. hopefully this new movie will straighten out all the prequel non-sence.

The general public dosen't have all the movies memorized? Really?

That's strange because I remember about a hundred people saying "I thought The Joker killed Batman's parents?" I wonder were they got that idea from? :cwink:

it's like this i'm not a lord of the rings fan, so i thought the hobit was going to be after the others until someone told different, because i couldn't give a rat's ass. most people i know who aren't comic geeks don't really care who killed batman's parents or when what movie takes place the just want to see it because it's batman. but that's just my experience.

Eh...I don't get mad or annoyed at people's confusion.

The idea of a "restart" is pretty foreign. How many other times has it happened in cinema history? None that I can think of.

Prequels, sequels, and remakes are basically the only form of continuing a series. The idea of a restart makes sense to comic fans; we're used to constant retconning and multiple continuities and the like.

In fact, it basically is a remake, in that it's a reinterpretation of the "same" material (though not necessarily telling the same story). Similar to Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The only difference is the Nolan series and the Burton/Schumacher series are not based on the exact same texts; they are simply more or less original stories based on the same enormous literary history.

I feel once the trailer reveals a much darker, sadistic, and more grittier Joker along with Two Face the confusion will cease. The success of Batman Begins shows that the public wants to see a darker Batman story, which is what we got, which is what we'll be continuing to receive under the helm of Christopher Nolan.

With that being said, I have friends who know full well it's a restart. My assistant manager at the theatre who owns a comic book store was explaining it to other customers.

Customer: Batman Begins? Isn't that prequel to the Batman with Keaton and Nicholson?

Me: No.

Him: No. You see, they're completely ignoring those films and starting over with a much more faithful, darker, and newer version of Batman. Hence the title "Batman Begins."

good point pete, to be honest the only things i can think that have been restarted completely are tv shows like battle star galactica, and maybe some of the sherlock holmes stuff, but i'm not sure any of that was original

I'm afraid that the Joker is just going to confuse people more. Some may say that" I don't want to see the Joker again,"and wait for the DVD.

I never thought the Hulk was going to make much money anyway even if it had been good. He's just not that popular. Now they are doing a quasi-sequel. People may just wait til it comes out on DVD.

Iron Man will be fresh and new. And whatever comes out that summer.

SR2 is going to have to deliver a balls to the wall action trailer with the villain front and center, but still leaves action scenes for the actual movie.

Honestly, if people do think its still a prequel, what does it matter?

If they get confused it may affect their judgement of the movie. I remember some people complaining cause Superman Returns was a sequel. One of my friends said, "Did Singer expect me to remember what happened in a movie released 30 yrs ago?"

I think as long as WB does good marketing and informs the public correctly all will be well.

....sigh...there is more confusion over this thread then the BB itself. Okay, this thread is not someone on the board asking if BB is a prequel, it's the people on the board discussing how the general public still think it is.

And if you get angry because people in the general public still get confused over that then you're being quite ignorant and silly.

Also, why on earth wouldn't they be confused? B89 was hugely popular in its day, and most people knew that quite a few Batman movies had been coming out just a few years ago. Why wouldn't they think it was connected to the old series. Added to that, WB did a horrid job marketing the film, so bad that many press agencies and TV shows were calling it a prequel. Not everyone frequents a batman message board you know.
it looks like you are confused. i was talking about a guy in the theater.

The casual movie goer does not retain most of the details of a movie that they have just seen. How many times do you hear people try to quote a line from a movie, one that they just walked out of, and get it completely wrong? Or try to explain to another a particular scene or event from a movie, that they just walked out of, and get it wrong? These are the people that still believe that Begins was a prequel and may think that TDK is just a remake of Burtons 89 film. Some posters in this thread still need to get out of the fanboy world we are in and realize this. This is the topic of discussion, that there are still people who dont get it.

Aside from the fact that Begins is completely against continuity with 89 and the subsequent sequels, there are a couple of little things that throw some people off.

1. It covers his training and how he came to wear the Batsuit and how he came about it. Not covered in the other 4 films. So that must be explaining it for the other 4, right? No, but they think so.

2. The D.A get killed off leaving an opening for a new District Attorney. Hows 89 open? With Harvey Dent being elected as new D.A. Oh, thats why Dent was elected in. No, but they dont get it.

3. It ends with the Joker calling card, which leads one to believe that it must lead into 89 which already featured those 2 characters. No, but they dont get it.

Does all this insult their intelligence? Maybe, but the casual movie goer doesnt pay much attention, as been brought up all through this thread. These are the people that we're talking about.

There are some things WB could have done better to let people know that this is a whole new series, starting from the beginning. All we can do is hope that most will get it and just accept that some will not.

What are you talking about? How could that scene be put in any Batman movie? In Batman it's VERY clear that Joker killed them. In Batman Begins it's VERY clear that Joe Chill killed them.

I can understand why some people might not be able to put the pieces together, heck I had to explain that Joe Chill is the killer in the comics to many people, but to think it's a prequel? Come one... it's not rocket science man.

If you have a question then do some research... that's the problem with people today, they want EVERYTHING spoon feed.... :whatever:

As far as being a jerk....

I'm not trying to single anyone out or point fingers, just saying what I think.

If you think I'm a being a jerk I'll tell you what, you stop using that avatar (which you should be shot for) and I'll stop being a jerk. Deal? :woot:

My avatar is pure love.

I am not sure what's to be confused about. Batman Begins came out, and the Dark Knight is a sequel to Begins.

I am not sure what's to be confused about. Batman Begins came out, and the Dark Knight is a sequel to Begins.

That's because you use both the left and right side of your brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"