How much action should a Superman movie have?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Now a lot of people who didn't like Superman Returns (like me) have said Superman Returns lacked action.

So how much action should there be in a Superman movie? I think a Superman movie should have at least two good scenes, now Superman can still save airplanes and all that stuff, but he should have some fight scenes.

Now I'm not suggesting that a Superman movie be all action and no plot, like Transformers 2, but it should have some action, Superman is an action hero, not a player in a romanatic comedy or something.

Last edited:
Something along the lines of Iron Man. You should have solid action interspersed throughout a good character driven story, that's well told and enjoyable to watch.

yeah Iron Man was petty spot on altho the end clash is a little short i think but the film was fun and still managed to have a seriousness to it.

I was fine with the amount of action in Spider-Man. I'm choosing it because it's one of my favorite comicbook movies.

I really couldn't care less if one agrees are disagrees with me.

And thats a premptive strike against the annoying poster thats going to respond to my post because my opinon doesn't jibe with theirs. You pick your movie you want the next Superman movie to emulate action beat wise and I'll pick mine.

I was fine with the amount of action in Spider-Man. I'm choosing it because it's one of my favorite comicbook movies.

I really couldn't care less if one agrees are disagrees with me.

And thats a premptive strike against the annoying poster thats going to respond to my post because my opinon doesn't jibe with theirs. You pick your movie you want the next Superman movie to emulate action beat wise and I'll pick mine.
a little overly defensive?

anyway. Any number of SH films could be a good balance of story and action. BB, Spiderman, The Incredibles,

a little overly defensive?

anyway. Any number of SH films could be a good balance of story and action. BB, Spiderman, The Incredibles,
I'm just tired of people acting like A-holes whenever I positively mention Spider-Man. I wish I didn't have to be defensive but it's cool to hate the Spider-Man movies on Superhero Hype and respond to any nice thing said about the flicks.

I just simply wanted to stop a ridiculous poster before they responded to my post.

They can still respond to my post and talk about how much they don't want Superman to be like those kids movies with Spider-Man in them and want it to be mature like Iron Man (which wasn't mature but thats just my opinion) or Batman Begins and TDK. Because if you like anyother comicbook movies more than those you are a brain dead zombie who loves kid movies.

Yes, I'm ranting but I'm fed up with that s**t so whatever.

I'm just tired of people acting like A-holes whenever I positively mention Spider-Man. I wish I didn't have to be defensive but it's cool to hate the Spider-Man movies on Superhero Hype and respond to any nice thing said about the flicks.

I just simply wanted to stop a ridiculous poster before they responded to my post.

They can still respond to my post and talk about how much they don't want Superman to be like those kids movies with Spider-Man in them and want it to be mature like Iron Man (which wasn't mature but thats just my opinion) or Batman Begins and TDK. Because if you like anyother comicbook movies more than those you are a brain dead zombie who loves kid movies.

Yes, I'm ranting but I'm fed up with that s**t so whatever.

Spiderman 1 and 2 are awesome mate, especially 2 :D

I'll get bashed but I liked both Fantastic Four movies :D

Hell I liked the FF movies too, although I found the first to be better than the second.

I hate superhero movies where the hero's actions are solely concerned with the movie's big baddie. For a whole movie he only faces one villain or his henchmen, doesn't save one regular person from a robber, burning building, bank robbery? At that point it's less superhero and more dudes who disagree and fight it out over the course of 2 hours.

yea i would like it somewhere in the neirborhood of ironman and the spider-man movies.

I'm not a big Superman fan but the prospect of a big budget, modern day movie about him had mouth watering.

And I was EXTREMELY disappointed.

We got Superman catching a plane. A car with shot brakes. Standing there getting shot. And to top it off lifting a KRYPTONITE mountain... :dry:

There needs to be a real villain for Superman, not just Lex.

I want to see some epic fight scenes. Think Matrix Revolutions, minus the kung fu. Epic fights in mid air, smashing down into the ground causing big craters etc. Supes and his enemy flying at each other full throttle and landing shock wave inducing punches.

I'm not a big Superman fan but the prospect of a big budget, modern day movie about him had mouth watering.

And I was EXTREMELY disappointed.

We got Superman catching a plane. A car with shot brakes. Standing there getting shot. And to top it off lifting a KRYPTONITE mountain... :dry:

There needs to be a real villain for Superman, not just Lex.

I want to see some epic fight scenes. Think Matrix Revolutions, minus the kung fu. Epic fights in mid air, smashing down into the ground causing big craters etc. Supes and his enemy flying at each other full throttle and landing shock wave inducing punches.
:up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

Now a lot of people who didn't like Superman Returns (like me) have said Superman Returns lacked action.

So how much action should there be in a Superman movie? I think a Superman movie should have at least two good scenes, now Superman can still save airplanes and all that stuff, but he should have some fight scenes.

Now I'm not suggesting that a Superman movie be all action and no plot, like Transformers 2, but it should have some action, Superman is an action hero, not a player in a romanatic comedy or something.
I think there is a confusion between action and fight. YOU want fights and people want fights, I got that. It does not mean there is no action in this movie. I want action, and there was enough action for me in Superman Returns. A bit more would not have hurt, but in general I was satisfied.
People wants to see Supes beats a bad guy, man, isn't it possible to defeat evil in another way than just punching him? Evil has to have a face. And the hero has to punch this face. He won the fight and save the world while doing it.
The big plane save, the Kryptonite mountain thing, the beating by Lex, I think that was action, in my eyes at least. Fights are fun too, but I like to think I can enjoy a movie without seeing fight to keep it exciting and I see the character of Superman beyond the limits of a big fighter of Evil. This movie showed me that it is not the opinion of the majority.
I agree that superman fights a lot in the comics book and an adaptation should reflect that, but he does not always, and the movie could reflect this aspect too, and I would have loved to see people praising a movie where violence does not make it fun to watch.
For me, the kind of action the movie had, was nice and refreshing and clever. I like to see the hero beat the bad guy too, but I thought the movie was great that way and had enough action without having fights. :up:

Superman as Sangoku + a true evil bad guy who kills a loooot of people + a sexy Lois Lane with boobs + the american flag somewhere, and that's it! Box office blockbuster! Yeah! :)

Last edited:
I think there is a confusion between action and fight. YOU want fights and people want fights, I got that. It does not mean there is no action in this movie. I want action, and there was enough action for me in Superman Returns. A bit more would not have hurt, but in general I was satisfied.
People wants to see Supes beats a bad guy, man, isn't it possible to defeat evil in another way than just punching him? Evil has to have a face. And the hero has to punch this face. He won the fight and save the world while doing it.
The big plane save, the Kryptonite mountain thing, the beating by Lex, I think that was action, in my eyes at least. Fights are fun too, but I like to think I can enjoy a movie without seeing fight to keep it exciting and I see the character of Superman beyond the limits of a big fighter of Evil. This movie showed me that it is not the opinion of the majority.
I agree that superman fights a lot in the comics book and an adaptation should reflect that, but he does not always, and the movie could reflect this aspect too, and I would have loved to see people praising a movie where violence does not make it fun to watch.
For me, the kind of action the movie had, was nice and refreshing and clever. I like to see the hero beat the bad guy too, but I thought the movie was great that way and had enough action without having fights. :up:

Superman as Sangoku + a true evil bad guy who kills a loooot of people + a sexy Lois Lane with boobs + the american flag somewhere, and that's it! Box office blockbuster! Yeah! :)

Finally someone. :up:

Yes, action is not only fist-fights. SR had as much action as any other superhero movie. First time I heard otherwise was in these forums and I was just scratching my head.

No, the action in SR was pathetic. And is a contributing factor to it being nothing financially. So it isn't just people on here. The GA didn't get what they expected from a MASSIVE budget Superman movie.

And him lifting a ****ing KRYPTONITE mountain was the final straw.

When people complain about SR it’s not just that supes didn't hit something. I'd go as far as saying that while that would've added something to the mix it wouldn't have made the movie that much better. The entire film had a melancholy feel to it. There was nothing exciting/hopeful about the movie. It was a slow dull film that lacked any real momentum.

Two scenes i'll give to it that were great was the plane catch, and the flashback of his youth, those scenes captured the essence of what makes superman unique and great. No other scenes in the movie had that though.

Movies like iron man or even spidey 1 didn't have constant fights in them. The only real "fight" iron man had was at the very end of the movie and wasn't that great. But people still loved the movie. Same with spidey 1, the fights weren't that good, looked very choreographed and somewhat mechanical, but the movie was great, why? Because both movies were exciting, they captured the feel of what being a superhero would be like.

Both films had an energy/momentum that drove the story forward. They also had a good balance bw the exciting elements and character driven parts. SR had neither. It's not just about him throwing some punches for goodness sakes; it's that you should be exciting watching superman on screen! With all the effects and story possibilities for the character you'd think it would be easy. That's why SR failed in my opinion, not b/c he didn't throw a punch.

Last edited:

Thought I was the only one that like the F4 movies to some degree :p

I think a Superman origin film should be like SM1, which managed to develop characters while including many fights between Spider-Man, the Green Goblin, and random criminals and bullies.

I wanted to share this quote from "The complete Idiot’s Guide to: Creating a Graphic Novel" -

“Readers will pay attention to boring things happening to interesting people long after they’ve turned away from interesting things happening to boring people”

I think this rings true about SR and why it did so poorly.
Iron man is the perfect model for balancing solid action with great characters. And the action doesn't necessarily mean fist-fights but fun good superhero action. If the mood of the movie is right and the characters are right, the action shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Thought I was the only one that like the F4 movies to some degree :p

I also enjoyed the films, they were fun and family oriented, which i think is great. It's sad that some fans seem to demand that every superhero film is for an adult audience. They're superheroes for goodness sakes! Most of us started liking them when we were kids and i think the kids of today deserve the same thing. Some heroes, like Batman are more designed for adults but somthing like FF4 was good for the whole family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"