How much action should a Superman movie have?

When people complain about SR it’s not just that supes didn't hit something. I'd go as far as saying that while that would've added something to the mix it wouldn't have made the movie that much better. The entire film had a melancholy feel to it. There was nothing exciting/hopeful about the movie. It was a slow dull film that lacked any real momentum.

Two scenes i'll give to it that were great was the plane catch, and the flashback of his youth, those scenes captured the essence of what makes superman unique and great. No other scenes in the movie had that though.

Movies like iron man or even spidey 1 didn't have constant fights in them. The only real "fight" iron man had was at the very end of the movie and wasn't that great. But people still loved the movie. Same with spidey 1, the fights weren't that good, looked very choreographed and somewhat mechanical, but the movie was great, why? Because both movies were exciting, they captured the feel of what being a superhero would be like.

Both films had an energy/momentum that drove the story forward. They also had a good balance bw the exciting elements and character driven parts. SR had neither. It's not just about him throwing some punches for goodness sakes; it's that you should be exciting watching superman on screen! With all the effects and story possibilities for the character you'd think it would be easy. That's why SR failed in my opinion, not b/c he didn't throw a punch.
Almost completely agreed. I've always said that just adding Superman punching some villian in Superman Returns wouldn't have made me like the movie any more than I did.

Honestly I make no bones about my preference for a Supervillain fistfight in a modern Superman movie but I'm quite sure I would have liked Returns despite that if I liked the characters and Lex Luthor was portrayed how was in the 90's Animated series and Smallville.

My main problem with SR was the drabby sometimes confusing tone, the storyline/plot and Lois Lane's and Superman's characterzation.

Yeah i see where you're coming from. I too would like to see more action, genuine conflict that involves another super being. My main point was that alone would'nt have fixed SR. If they get the characters right in the next movie, then i think adding some action (well done of course) will just make it that much better.

Donner's Superman had the right amount of action. You don't build a good movie around action scenes. Telling a good story is the most important thing.

for me there was just alot of wrong things SR did.

Think of all the action you want to see in it. It's not enough.

I really like the notion of Supes fighting something non human. Like Robots or a creature of some sort. Ever since I saw I-Robot years ago I couldn’t help but think how cool it would be to see Supes facing off against hordes of brainiac robots that look similar to Sonny from I-Robot. The other thing I’d love to see if Supes fighting a hulk – like creature onscreen. I can’t say how awesome this could look. Just think of the animated fight bw him and doomsday and how nice that could transfer to live action.

The main thing is I don’t want to see him just fight someone with his powers or his same size but someone or something larger with a different powerset and then see how supes uses his unique powers to face the threat.

here's a trailer i just stumbled across the other night, some parts are goofy but other look pretty good. It features the smallville cast in a superman movie, and it shows the kind of action I’d love to see onscreen though I’d opt for just one villain rather than so many:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NIFvrV4VP4

yea we def need some good action and fights with beings/monsters/robots what ever next go.

it should have the right amount of action that would make the people who hated dragonball: evolution shake their heads and say "that's what the movie should have been like".

how did that film do for fights? i didnt bother to see it in theaters or yet at all. even though i know its crap movie. i still like to see how wrong they did with it.

It should have a lot of Superman doing the things Superman does. I could imagine the start of the movie showing a montage of Superman saving people and doing super things all over the world. Sort of like in "Superman: Peace on Earth" where there are a few pages just showing Superman doing a lot of super things.

After that, I think action on the level of the second transformer movie (which I only saw previews for) seems about right. There has to be overwhelming destruction that on Superman can stop. Or something like that.

Terminator levels of action
wattabrownsound said:
maybe use the matrix as a template.
I was thinking of these two in particular

Terminator 2 had an even balance of action and story and The Matrix and Matrix Reloaded were good but Matrix Revolution was just one big stupid video game snooze fest.

Action movies tend to have 2 to 3 action sequences when it comes to superhero movies I prefer 2 action sequences one in the middle big enough that leaves the audience in anticipation for the grand finale.

In the case of Superman we can't have him throwing punches at Luthor which is why a powerful villian is needed for smashing buildings, throwing cars and stuff.

Matrix 3 Neo vs Smith fight scene with Superman vs Brainiac/Darkseid/Mongul/etc.

the matrix had a good amount of action and story as well. Thing is the action scenes gotta be something we've never seen before. I dont wanna see superman and whoever his opponent is to just be one hitting eachother then flying across the street. Should make superman look like he knows how to fight, blocking attacks, throwing combos and the final hit in the combo sends the guy flying and the other way around with his opponent. Theres also gotta be ONE scene where he catches a fist comin at him!

the matrix had a good amount of action and story as well. Thing is the action scenes gotta be something we've never seen before. I dont wanna see superman and whoever his opponent is to just be one hitting eachother then flying across the street. Should make superman look like he knows how to fight, blocking attacks, throwing combos and the final hit in the combo sends the guy flying and the other way around with his opponent. Theres also gotta be ONE scene where he catches a fist comin at him!
He's super fast so he should be able to block enemy moves. He should have some basic fighting skills but nothing fancy like Neo's. In the comics he learns how to fight through experience in the battlefield and at some point he is trained by his bro, the goddamn Batman! :batman:

This is the kind of action i want to see in the movie:

smbm_69_dylux-3-copy.jpg

"Kill Clark Kent. He is a shy reporter at the DP. He shouldnt be a problem!"
:awesome:

There was mention of how supes should fight. Just please stay away from martial arts. Ever since the Matrix that seems the popular thing but i don't think it fits the character.

I was thinking something more along the lines of greco roman wrestling. It would play up the similarties to hercules and samson. It would depend on who he's fighting but i'd love to see him using against a hulk/abomination type character. Also and easy explaination could be that clark kent was on the wrestling team or his dad taught him when he was young before his powers developed.

Just a good ole fashioned street fight, but with super strength, flying, heat vision, superspeed, etc...you know, the basics. :D

All I ask is no more plane saving scenes! Let's see Superman throw down against a large scale alien invasion where he seriously becomes the human race's last hope...driving him to his limits, being conflicted between fighting an alien race (for which he for so long wish he could meet) and the human race for which we was raised and took him in as their own.

All I ask is no more plane saving scenes! Let's see Superman throw down against a large scale alien invasion where he seriously becomes the human race's last hope...driving him to his limits, being conflicted between fighting an alien race (for which he for so long wish he could meet) and the human race for which we was raised and took him in as their own.

That's what i'm talking about! You hit the nail on the head! :awesome: I just saw a preview for the show V and it had an entire armada of ships flying over earth and i thought how awesome would it be to see Superman face off against something like that!

A fight like the Superman/Doomsday one is acceptible with windows exploding with every punch.

Since Clark is invulnerable it's obvious he's never needed to practice martial arts, nor is he a skilled fighter like Oscar De LaHoya so it all comes down to good old fashioned dirty street brawls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"