How Superman Resolved the Issue of Zod *MEGA SPOILER*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the part I loved about MOS, the alien nature of Superman's impact on people. The bad part was that this impact only affected a limited group of people. The world was only worried about Zod and company. We didn't get to see the whole world astonished at Superman. That's big part of what makes the Superman story, super.

I think that will be answered in the sequel. At this point Superman is an unsung hero or to some an alien that refused to leave and caused massive destruction.

In the sequel, Superman can just say "Hey...I have no idea why Zod didn't just terraform Mars...I totally would have helped him!!! I guess he really just planned poorly and wanted to kill you all...good thing I stopped him."

That's the part I loved about MOS, the alien nature of Superman's impact on people. The bad part was that this impact only affected a limited group of people. The world was only worried about Zod and company. We didn't get to see the whole world astonished at Superman. That's big part of what makes the Superman story, super.

Which is funny because up until the film's release one of their major talking points was how the world would react to Superman, but they pretty much left that reaction to a handful of people.

In the sequel, Superman can just say "Hey...I have no idea why Zod didn't just terraform Mars...I totally would have helped him!!! I guess he really just planned poorly and wanted to kill you all...good thing I stopped him."

He should of turned Jupiter into a red sun and settled on IO

Yep. Considering he had no distinct interaction with anyone outside the military I really don't know how they'll just have him immediately show up a hero in a sequel when he'd be preceived as just "one of the aliens that busted up the city." He has yet to be introduced to the world. If anyone other than Goyer were writing the script, I would have faith this would be addressed

This is why you don't introduce General Zod and co. to the world before properly introducing Superman. Goyer really screwed it up there.

I think that will be answered in the sequel. At this point Superman is an unsung hero or to some an alien that refused to leave and caused massive destruction.

Yes. It's far less than it could have been. It's almost like having a Batman origin movie that's only about how Bruce Wayne got trained and his gadgets. Full costume for the sequel. :whatever:

Which is funny because up until the film's release one of their major talking points was how the world would react to Superman, but they pretty much left that reaction to a handful of people.

Oh yes. The world only know of Kryptonians and super-powered beings because of Zod, not Superman. Way to ruin a good story.

I just saw the movie tonight. This is a graphic but the best way I can relate since I've been there. Zod getting killed, to me felt the same as a soldier having to kill a kid with a suicide bomb strapped to him in a busy market. You can only beg and plead, but that moment you see the thumb twitch you shoot him in the head so he doesn't blow up and hurt or kill everyone around him. It's a split second decision that has to be made for the greater good. He obviously didn't want to kill as his emotion was all over his face before and after but he had to do it to save everyone not just the family.

I just saw the movie tonight. This is a graphic but the best way I can relate since I've been there. Zod getting killed, to me felt the same as a soldier having to kill a kid with a suicide bomb strapped to him in a busy market. You can only beg and plead, but that moment you see the thumb twitch you shoot him in the head so he doesn't blow up and hurt or kill everyone around him. It's a split second decision that has to be made for the greater good. He obviously didn't want to kill as his emotion was all over his face before and after but he had to do it to save everyone not just the family.

Great post :up: tbh I sure bet the family were grateful :woot:

I can imagine a deleted scene where the Mum goes to Superman "took you long enough" :woot:

Just mulling it over some more in my head, and I have to say I thought the 'You're the answer son' scene was incredibly badly written.

Hi all. This is my first post and I first would like to say I am a huge Donner/Reeve Fan, however, that being said I thought Man Of Steel was EPIC!! I will always have a place for S:TM and S2 in my heart but it is now 2013 and I love the change and new fresh look

I just wanted to address the issue of Zod cause alot of people keep on insisting that Superman DOES NOT KILL!!!Well we already spoke about Superman eliminating Zod in Superman 2 and that was definitely a kill!!! I also wanted to remind you of another part where there is also a KILL by Superman in Superman III. Do you remember the Junkyard fight? Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL12bbRPUz4

The movie is awesome and the ending was the best part. We are living in the real world now and that is what the movie portrayed.

Hi all. This is my first post and I first would like to say I am a huge Donner/Reeve Fan, however, that being said I thought Man Of Steel was EPIC!! I will always have a place for S:TM and S2 in my heart but it is now 2013 and I love the change and new fresh look

I just wanted to address the issue of Zod cause alot of people keep on insisting that Superman DOES NOT KILL!!!Well we already spoke about Superman eliminating Zod in Superman 2 and that was definitely a kill!!! I also wanted to remind you of another part where there is also a KILL by Superman in Superman III. Do you remember the Junkyard fight? Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL12bbRPUz4

The movie is awesome and the ending was the best part. We are living in the real world now and that is what the movie portrayed.

Don't bring up the none Donner movies. We all know they were crap even though i enjoyed them all when i was a kid. Same with the super girl movie.

Superman's 'no killing' rule, the same rule used by characters such as Batman and Spider-Man, were included by the writers as a way to justify the limitations put in place by the Comics Code Authority. Now that it's gone, the rules should be relaxed, and in the cases of other characters it has been.

Superman shouldn't kill as a general rule because his powers give him an overwhelming advantage. He could kill every criminal on Earth but he doesn't because it's not right for him to do so.

I don't see, however, how this applies to a murderous supervillain who will not listen to reason and is directly threatening those around him.

If Superman let Zod kill those people, he would look like a fool. He would be directly responsible for their death. He would be a coward who couldn't bring himself to do what was right just because he doesn't feel comfortable doing it.

For me, Superman crying out in anguish over Zod's death is enough. It shows that he is not prepared to kill unless he absolutely has to. This makes Superman a stronger character rather than "I will not kill ever", because it shows he focuses on what is right rather than what makes him feel good.

Lex will definitely have some talking points for sure.

Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing I'm sure many of us can agree that seeing a super neck break with the shock waves etc was pretty cool

That was insanely shocking. I sat there with my jaw to the floor.

For me that was one of the best ending to any CBM against a villian. So much win. I was also shock with my jaw dropped too. It was all in a good way...

For me that was one of the best ending to any CBM against a villian. So much win. I was also shock with my jaw dropped too. It was all in a good way...

Yeah same, I'd read it happened on here before and it still shocked me

David S. Goyer wrote a scene in which he put Superman in a situation where he had to kill the villain. Therefore David S. Goyer should not be writing Superman.
Superman should be an ideal that we strive towards, and no one wants to strive towards being a killer. Along with Superman's apparent lack of care for the massive amount of death and destruction wrought upon Metropolis, this scene showed why Goyer was the wrong choice to take on this character.

David S. Goyer wrote a scene in which he put Superman in a situation where he had to kill the villain. Therefore David S. Goyer should not be writing Superman.
Superman should be an ideal that we strive towards, and no one wants to strive towards being a killer. Along with Superman's apparent lack of care for the massive amount of death and destruction wrought upon Metropolis, this scene showed why Goyer was the wrong choice to take on this character.

Superman killed Zod in Superman 2 and I don't see people complaining about that.

Deleted scenes mean nothing. The movie was cut so that Zod and Urza die. The final product is all that matters. Just admit it. Superman just seems to love killing Zod.

He did it in the comics right?

Superman killed Zod in Superman 2 and I don't see people complaining about that.

I'm far more used to watching the Donner cut, in which the Zryptonian villains survive (and never leave the Phantom Zone at all, thanks to time travel). And even in the theatrical cut, it's left ambiguous as to what happened to Zod and the others. However, I do think that the scene should have played out differently, as it does look like Superman could be killing them.
But in the end, what does it matter what happened in Superman 2? Just because it happened very few times before, either in previous films or in the comics (which are not always the pinnacle of storytelling for these characters and can sometimes be improved upon), doesn't validate it happening again.

I'm far more used to watching the Donner cut, in which the Zryptonian villains survive (and never leave the Phantom Zone at all, thanks to time travel). And even in the theatrical cut, it's left ambiguous as to what happened to Zod and the others. However, I do think that the scene should have played out differently, as it does look like Superman could be killing them.
But in the end, what does it matter what happened in Superman 2? Just because it happened very few times before, either in previous films or in the comics (which are not always the pinnacle of storytelling for these characters and can sometimes be improved upon), doesn't validate it happening again.

Shows precedence though and that it may not be as completely out of character as one thinks it is especially considering the circumstance. Plus, I love how devastated he was after he killed him. It was obviously something he wanted no part of and not doing so arbitrarily. I like how everything won't be perfect for Superman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"