Sequels Superman, The Dark Avenger? Not the Boyscout? ...& Other Issues why it's all a MESS

Hey- TardomaXyDE- Why don't you give us your Supes treatment?

Singer trying to undo the mess he made will probably make the situation even worse. We'll go from a boring, tired melodramatic mess to a frenzied overloaded mess.

Possibly worse than Singer's Superman vision, is Singer's vision of what he thinks we want with the studio breathing down his neck every day on set. Plus, he can't really give us what he thinks the fans want because he's already started out on a path he can't undo entirely.

It's not an overraction, it seems like a fact. This is a mess.
Yeah, more than likely.

merced said:
I agree. Going to all this trouble to undo SR means SR was premised incorrectly for the young male audience. The audience that makes this sort of film. Wouldn't it be easier to just start over?
This film that became SR should have been the start over point just like "Batman Begins" was the start over point for Batman. Unfortunately, Warner Brothers didn't tell Singer that.

I love when people take subjective views, such as "they're making Superman like Batman", treat them like fact and then ***** about them.

It seems to me that (if this is true) Singer has acknowledged his mistakes and is trying to make the best of a rather terrible situation.

Superman, The Dark Avenger? Not the Boyscout? ...& Other Issues why it's all a MESS

AND SO NEWS IS OUT, as you ALL KNOW...

kill the kid?

oh, hilarious.
AND THEN make a VENGEFUL Superman?
sure, sure.
make him more like Batman?
Oh c'mon!
That's like changing a significant aspect of the Superman mythos.

it's HIS SON!
This kind of trauma will just radically change the entire character of Superman.
There's a reason why SUperman is unique in a way that he is THE PURE BOYSCOUT among the rest of the heroes. That's coz he's never seen the kind of DARKNESS that has made characters like Batman, Punisher, & The Crow!

IN THE FIRST PLACE, The KID should NOT have been INTRODUCED!

So Singer plans to bring forth the LEXCORP idea to the Superman movie franchise (at last)...

BUT THEN AGAIN, Singer has not established Luthor as a "BRILLIANT Criminal Mastermind" As far as SR has established the only one victimized with Luthor's brilliant mind was a dying old lady. really now... what was so "brilliant" about that? Singer's Luthor's skills are not as impressive as the Luthor that the comics & the animation has made. THAT Luthor can render any superpowered foe useless using only his wits. Singer's Luthor sneaks in the Fortress OS & steal some kryptonite. big deal. as far as Singer's Luthor's skill level, it only goes equal to somebody like The Penguin. Yes, the villain in Superman Returns is just the Penguin.

Considering that he's already well-known to the public as Superman's foe, plus with the government obviously intending to put him behind bars for what he did in SR, how the hell can Luthor create LEXCORP?

I say kill the kid and have him NOT become a demented, revenge obsessed vigilante. Have him take the high road and show why he's *****ing Superman.

Superman has killed before and I see no reason why he wouldn't do it again if the situation calls for it.

If anybody here saw season 3 and 4 of Angel, you can probably guess what will happen to Jason. That's where my money's at. Some villain will kidnap him and either age him or send him to the future and back and he'll come back to seek vengence on his father(superman).

Anybody else think that could happen?

Superman has killed before and I see no reason why he wouldn't do it again if the situation calls for it.

But it's a bad idea. THe only true kill was the Phantom Zone villains from the pocket universe. John Byrne put Superman in a corner and wanted to make him 'grittier.'

THat said, that continuity has been reversed as of SUperman #666 which came out last week.

If anybody here saw season 3 and 4 of Angel, you can probably guess what will happen to Jason. That's where my money's at. Some villain will kidnap him and either age him or send him to the future and back and he'll come back to seek vengence on his father(superman).

Anybody else think that could happen?

That story blew. Just let Lois and Supes get back together and end the franchise. I'd rather not have a trilogy than create some forced Luke and Vader moment in the Superman franchise.

That BS I have seen supes get pretty pissed off and dark before.

That BS I have seen supes get pretty pissed off and dark before.

Yep.
How many times has he stopped just short of killing Batman? Three?
I would say, IF THE RUMORS ARE TRUE, that they are doing this for a couple of reasons...
1. Supes in SR seemed like just too much of a boy scout. Credit/blame what you will; the suit, Routh's young looks, the fact he became a daddy, whatever.
2 The movie did not give Supes an opportunity to throw down. Sure, he got to show us how tough he was, by lifing an island made of Kryptonite (giggle), but he didnt get the chance to show his game.
3. WIth the supposed "bombing" of SR, the studio would not go for another film of that same style. Now I know the movie did not "bomb", it was in all acutallity quite profitable, but you would never know it by listening to the whiners about the movie.

And in reference to how Luthor gets LexCorp, the old woman owed a company she signed over to Luthor, and he renamed it.
In theory, of course.

Wow, (some?) of the mods can be pretty lame around here. I like this message board and talking to the people on here but don't understand the need for censorship if it's a lighthearted topic concerning purely fictional characters.

I made a few posts about doing the gay superman route and they get deleted (I didn't make reference to any real people or anything so what gives?). Is that sort of censorship really needed? We're all just having fun here and visit the site on our own free time. Freedom of expression should be important. If we still had the comic book code like it was back in the '50's we wouldn't have seen any such masterpeices as Watchmen, which was a parody of the superhero genre. Superman has been around for so many years now where there can be all sorts of different takes on the character. As a message board we should be allowed to take a concept such as "spandex", "man of steel", and "boy wonder" and spin a bit of a joke about it. What gives?

Wow, (some?) of the mods can be pretty lame around here. I like this message board and talking to the people on here but don't understand the need for censorship if it's a lighthearted topic concerning purely fictional characters.

I made a few posts about doing the gay superman route and they get deleted (I didn't make reference to any real people or anything so what gives?). Is that sort of censorship really needed? We're all just having fun here and visit the site on our own free time. Freedom of expression should be important. If we still had the comic book code like it was back in the '50's we wouldn't have seen any such masterpeices as Watchmen, which was a parody of the superhero genre. Superman has been around for so many years now where there can be all sorts of different takes on the character. As a message board we should be allowed to take a concept such as "spandex", "man of steel", and "boy wonder" and spin a bit of a joke about it. What gives?
I have arthritis....but I am not lame....but thank you for your concern about my health.

Because we have had a major outbreak of stupidity in the past over "gayness", and the general populace here have proven that they can not have a serious discussion of the topic without resorting to crude mean remarks about the subject......we do not allow cheap jokes about it to be made.

If you want to discuss comic books and comic book related material without belittleing others....then this is a good place to be. But....if you can't have fun unless you are making fun of and degrading some portion of the world's society.....then you are at the wrong forum.

I have arthritis....but I am not lame....but thank you for your concern about my health.

Because we have had a major outbreak of stupidity in the past over "gayness", and the general populace here have proven that they can not have a serious discussion of the topic without resorting to crude mean remarks about the subject......we do not allow cheap jokes about it to be made.

If you want to discuss comic books and comic book related material without belittleing others....then this is a good place to be. But....if you can't have fun unless you are making fun of and degrading some portion of the world's society.....then you are at the wrong forum.
Sic 'em, tiger.
I agree. If you can't make valid points about a film or comic, don't resort to third grade "it's gay" insults.

THat said, that continuity has been reversed as of SUperman #666 which came out last week.

In Superman #666, it is heavily implied that Superman has killed at least once in the past. After Infinite Crisis, he no longer seems to remember the Phantom Zone incident, but it apparently still took place in continuity (unless the person he killed is someone else entirely).

Could someone please explain the Hypes stance on degrading women, then? :huh: There seems to be little or no objection to degrading women, and they make up more than half of the worlds society.

In Superman #666, it is heavily implied that Superman has killed at least once in the past. After Infinite Crisis, he no longer seems to remember the Phantom Zone incident, but it apparently still took place in continuity (unless the person he killed is someone else entirely).

No that story in 666 is actually a retcon of the Phantom Zone killings. Now in current continuity he has NEVER killed anyone.

1. Supes in SR seemed like just too much of a boy scout. Credit/blame what you will; the suit, Routh's young looks, the fact he became a daddy, whatever.

Do you know ridiculous it sounds that he was 'too much a boyscout' and then referencing his dead-beat dad status in the same sentence?

Do you know ridiculous it sounds that he was 'too much a boyscout' and then referencing his dead-beat dad status in the same sentence?

It's dangerous pointing out logic flaws. ;)

Angeloz

Could someone please explain the Hypes stance on degrading women, then? :huh: There seems to be little or no objection to degrading women, and they make up more than half of the worlds society.
I don't allow it either. I have had to tell many of the "childish" posters here to stop referring to various people as "****s" and "****es".....I can't catch everything, but when I see it, I put a stop to it.

I don't allow it either. I have had to tell many of the "childish" posters here to stop referring to various people as "****s" and "****es".....I can't catch everything, but when I see it, I put a stop to it.

"You're not Superman ya know."

Hey- TardomaXyDE- Why don't you give us your Supes treatment?

Hey- KRAPJonian- I'm back!
oh my apologies for the delay, your excellency!
sorry to have kept you waiting all your life for my replies!

The source guys, say he ain't dying.

You mean Superman hasn't gotten Jules Winnifield levels of vengeful before? Go read the comics please.

NOT with a DEAD Son, he hasn't.

It's a movie, meaning it's ok for the bad guy to die. Remember, Zod's dead baby, Zod's dead.

who told you Zod's dead?

He made billions of dollars and there's nothing illegal about what he did. Leaving him rich and safe from the cops for the time being. If you had a choice between potentially getting arrested and doing life, or swindling some old lady out of her money to a: buy your freedom and b: make you a billionaire, you'd be an idiot not to swindle the old lady. He's a billionaire and the government aren't intending to do anything to him, he's a free man.

after what he did in SR, don't you think the government would be so dumb enough not to look for Luthor and do all means to put him in jail? This isn't cartoonworld where the cops will wait for the superhero to go fetch the villain for them

He stole the technology of a highly advanced civilization. Besides how else can Luthor take down Superman., with a purple and green battle suit?

read the comics. Luthor does not need some great strength to inflict pain on Superman. The circumstances regarding how Jigsaw in SAW 2 tormented the cop (played by Donnie Wahlberg) can be a great example on how Luthor can really torment Superman without really "fighting him"

B: Singer seems to have a good idea what the fans want. See X-Men 2. You didn't like it? Boo hoo. Fact is it's still one of the most popular comic book movies ever made.

it is. i loved X2. in fact, i loved all the other Singer movies. USUAL SUSPECTS remains as one of my all-time favorite movies. But it is undeniable. Superman Returns was just awful. Yes, that's my opinion. You dont like it? Boo Hoo

C: It is an overreaction. For all we know Jason wont be in SR3 because it takes place on Apokalips, or however you spell it. If he's not dying it, it just means the 100% attention will be on Superman, regardless.

but he will be (if we are to take the MoS as an SR sequel) that's all due to the laws of movie franchise continuity. You cant just easily DISREGARD one aspect... not unless MoS will be in "vague continuity" with SR (as SR was in vague continuity with the other Supes movies) ...or not unless they're restarting the whole thing.

This post didn't deserve its own thread. Your opinion is not that important, you know?

yet here you are... and to think i rolled out my red carpet for you coming round this here neck of the woods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"