how to get the non-fan / general public interested in MOS?

Have one of the lead actors die right before the movie comes out.

1. No S-curl or red trunks. Those simply don't work for a modern film.

2. The trailers and TV spots need to packed with action. Man of Steel needs to marketed as an action film first and foremost.

3. This is Superman for the 21st century. I can't emphasize how important that is. This movie needs to do to Superman what Batman 89 did for Batman, which is to completely change the general public's perception of the character.

Change the suit and the logo. Period.
Make them recognizable but modern (and changing the materials won't be enough).

PS: Keep Snyder taste for well ... strange stuff like over-use of slow-mo, (young) women in sexy/tacky outfits for no reason, photoshop looking cinematography, great songs used in an odd an inappropriate way, and yes abuse of useless gore effects, at a minimum level. Please.

Last edited:
have the teaser be as follows:

From the filmmakers of Inception,batman begins the dark knight and the dark knight rises and the visionary director that brought you 300 watchmen and sucker punch.....

zod throwing a punch in slow mo but you don't see at who

A reimagioning of America's most Iconic superhero...

a fist with a blue sleeve punching Zod a fast zoom out showing the massive shockwave making blocks of a major city crumble...

The Man of Steel as you've never seen him before....

A shot of superman after the punch flying towards the screen

Forget everything you know about Superman

coming Christmas 2012

Last edited:
^^^A lot of these suggestions will indeed make the public aware of MoS...by making them aware that it's revisionist, deconstructionist crap they don't want to see.

People still want to see Superman, classic costume AND \S/ and S-curl and all.

Change that and you will pay for it by having another failure of a Superman movie.

I heard and read fanboys saying the same about Nolan's Batman.
Yet The Dark Knight grossed over 1 billion dollars.

Meaning that GA doesn't give a f*** about classic costumes, logos and stuff as ridiculous as an haircut (wich a lot a of comic version dropped btw).

Give them a good movie, with a strong script, good acting, decent action scenes and a modern take on what they perceive as an outdated character. They'll go see it even though it's considered as revisionist or deconstructionist by a few fanboys (who will strangely go see the movie several times no matter what).

I really hope they use the "Nolan way" on this one. That the film's crew will respect the essence of the character but will feel free to adapt it's mythology for the 21st century.

Last edited:
Give them a good movie, with a strong script, good acting, decent action scenes and a modern take on what they perceive as an outdated character.

Would you mind sharing the results of the surveys, polling, and focus groups you've conducted to arrive at this conclusion?

Oh, wait...you have no evidence to support this claim. You're just talking out of your ass.

People still want to see Superman, classic costume AND \S/ and S-curl and all.

Change that and you will pay for it by having another failure of a Superman movie.

Out of what are you talking there buddy ? ;)
And well if I can use your time machine it would be nice as well (to see the failure and everything).

Get you thoughts together man.

PS: Once more, as an evidence, think about what Nolan did with Batman. And how much money both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight made, how well it was received by both critics, GA an fans overall. And then again, tell me why Superman won't benefit from a modern take on it's universe.
Shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:
have the teaser be as follows:

From the filmmakers of Inception,batman begins the dark knight and the dark knight rises and the visionary director that brought you 300 watchmen and sucker punch.....

zod throwing a punch in slow mo but you don't see at who

A reimagioning of America's most Iconic superhero...

a fist with a blue sleeve punching Zod a fast zoom out showing the massive shockwave making blocks of a major city crumble...

The Man of Steel as you've never seen him before....

A shot of superman after the punch flying towards the screen

Forget everything you know about Superman

coming Christmas 2012

While this might please the 'I wanna see Superman punch things' crowd, I don't think it'd work on the GA. It's a bit empty.

I'm always fascinated by the Pirates argument. You know, I think everyone has always misinterpreted the Pirates/Superman correlation. I don't think Pirates hurt Superman. I think the poor quality of Superman Returns helped Pirates. Pirates was the only thing that summer that delivered a fun, light, action packed experience. Mission: Impossible III, while good, was the darkest Mission movie, X3 sucked out loud and Superman Returns was dour and dark. In any other summer Pirates would have done good, but not a billion dollars good.

Which, I think, is the biggest thing to make sure of when making a Superman movie. You can tell as deep a story as you want, but at the end of the day, it has to be fun as well. Superman Returns had zero fun.

Why are you so fascinated by it? It's pretty straight forward...

What we are looking at is BOX OFFICE RECEIPTS, It's not unusual for a movie to perform its best in its first few weeks of release. But if you release a movie, like SR, that has any doubt or amount of mystery involved with it, followed by the sequel to one of the biggest family movies ever, its bound to get lost in there...

Imagine if Pirates 5 or Shrek 7 comes out a week later than Batman, do you think it will make a differance? F**k yeah it will, cause everybody will flock to see what is familiiar and what they love, not take a chance even if it seems okay...

Why are you so fascinated by it? It's pretty straight forward...

What we are looking at is BOX OFFICE RECEIPTS, It's not unusual for a movie to perform its best in its first few weeks of release. But if you release a movie, like SR, that has any doubt or amount of mystery involved with it, followed by the sequel to one of the biggest family movies ever, its bound to get lost in there...

Imagine if Pirates 5 or Shrek 7 comes out a week later than Batman, do you think it will make a differance? F**k yeah it will, cause everybody will flock to see what is familiiar and what they love, not take a chance even if it seems okay...

Or here's an idea... Maybe they could go and see all three!

I don't understand why people discuss things like this as though people had to choose between Superman Returns and Pirates... If Superman had been a really good movie, people would have gone to see it... AS WELL as Pirates.

just how crazy would you have to be to use Sucker Punch to promote superman? :awesome:

Yeah, they shouldn't use Sucker Punch. Just make it simply as "The Visionary Director of 300", there's no need to add more movies.

Or here's an idea... Maybe they could go and see all three!

I don't understand why people discuss things like this as though people had to choose between Superman Returns and Pirates... If Superman had been a really good movie, people would have gone to see it... AS WELL as Pirates.

Really... That's what you would do in this situation? You would have just gone and seen SR, then paid for a ticket to Pirates?

Here's the problem, movie nerds like you and I will do that, but Joe and Jane Q. Public want to see a movie to make themselves and their kids happy. And holy crap!, that first Pirates movie was good... They're not going to go and see SR ater that...

You are 100% out of line to say Pirates had no effect on SR's BO receipts...

Really... That's what you would do in this situation? You would have just gone and seen SR, then paid for a ticket to Pirates?.

Actually that's exactly what I did do. And I don't go to the cinema a lot because it's an hour and a half drive away and I don't have a car :)

Here's the problem, movie nerds like you and I will do that, but Joe and Jane Q. Public want to see a movie to make themselves and their kids happy. And holy crap!, that first Pirates movie was good... They're not going to go and see SR ater that...

You are 100% out of line to say Pirates had no effect on SR's BO receipts...

It's my opinion. It's not out of line to have an opinion.

That said, I think you should re read my post, because no where in it did I say Pirates had NO effect. But it's not some Super movie that no movie could have possible compete against with any of success.

It shouldn't be hidden behind as an excuse for SR's failures, as though it wouldn't have mattered how good a film it was, it still wouldn't have made enough money.

I personally think that is a cop out. I think if it had been a better film, it would have been successful. I mean it came pretty close to succeeding as it was.

Just like I think Man Of Steel has a great chance of being successful despite it's competition.

And if it's not, I'm not going to be going around say 'well of course it wasn't successful, The Hobbit and Star Trek were out so it had no chance'.

P.S. Pirates is very much tailored for kids to enjoy. SR very much wasn't, which is probably why not a lot of familes that just wanted to shut the kids up would have gone to see it.

But that doesn't mean that they should make Man of Steel more suitable for kids does it?

It's the opposite, and what they seem to be doing now. Appeal to adults who want to go to the cinema for more than just a bit of kiddie fun. But this time, actually do it well - with the right casting and vision.

Last edited:
I really hope they use the "Nolan way" on this one. The the film's crew will respect the essence of the character but will feel free to adapt it's mythology for the 21st century.

To be perfectly honest, Nolan didn't change that much about batman. He just took the next logical step after B89 franchise had devolved into madness. IMO, his major contribution was to remove all camp from his franchise, while sticking to the main theme. He just delivered what had been written in the comics for a number of years.

on the comments about Supes being outdated. Supes doesn't need to be modernized. SR's failure was not because of the character's/property's age, nor his look. All the pieces were there for SR, the problem with the movie was that Singer and crew had no idea what they were doing with the narrative. It was the craptastic story that affected its performance (any super hero movie where the solution is to throw the problem into space is weak), not the age of the character/property. SR was extremely inconsistent, and basically stupid. Had the SR narrative been written by someone who knew what they were doing, someone who understood what was missing from the STM franchise, someone who understood what the fans were asking for, the turn out would have been much different.

it's the story that has been the problem with superman movies since SIV. IMO, I can say this because TAS has delivered some of my favorite Superman of all time. A good writer can deliver a great superman movie, without having to 'modernize' and 'update' the character to bring it into the new millenium. It's not about age, it's about writers who just have no idea what they are doing, what is needed, and what is wanted by the fanbase.

The key to success is word of mouth. That starts with the fanboys, because it is they who have been waiting, it is they who will scrutinize and judge the film. If that word is good, then it will trickle down to the GA.

To be perfectly honest, Nolan didn't change that much about batman. He just took the next logical step after B89 franchise had devolved into madness. IMO, his major contribution was to remove all camp from his franchise, while sticking to the main theme. He just delivered what had been written in the comics for a number of years.

I was reffering to details such as the suit, the haircut or the logo (wich in my opinion are completely irrelevant). Of course Nolan didn't changed that much of Batman, technically we can almost say that he picked up various elements from several comics (Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke ...) put them together and created two compelling stories. But with an angle that made them appealing for modern audiences. He kept the sustance but felt free to adapt the form into something that works in it's time.

This is the kind of effort I'm expecting to see in this reboot. And what I'm talking about when it comes to modernizing the character.

The key to success is word of mouth. That starts with the fanboys, because it is they who have been waiting, it is they who will scrutinize and judge the film. If that word is good, then it will trickle down to the GA.

I think you're overestimating the importance of the fanbase. I have the X-Men First Class example in mind when it comes to a recent film with great feedback from fans, impressive word of mouth but disappointing to average results at the B.O.

Last edited:
I think 'modernising' should be stayed away from because people use it as a cover word for 'make cooler' sometimes, and there is no need to make Superman cooler.

I think the only change that needs to happen in that sense is the world it is set in. It needs modernising to make it more relavent IMO.

I think 'modernising' should be stayed away from because people use it as a cover word for 'make cooler' sometimes, and there is no need to make Superman cooler.

I think the only change that needs to happen in that sense is the world it is set in. It needs modernising to make it more relavent IMO.

indeed. I use the word in a negative sense, because it is those who want a new 'modern' costume and the like that bother me. Like I said, SR had all the right pieces, the problem was the story those pieces were used in that were its failure.

IMO, change is not the key to a successful superman film, what is needed is a writer who understands both the character and what the audience wants out of a superman film (not what they, the writer wants, that was the failure of SR).

Last edited:
indeed. I use the word in a negative sense, because it is those who want a new 'modern' costume and the like that bother me. Like I said, SR had all the right pieces, the problem was the story those pieces were used in that were its failure.

IMO, change is not the key to a successful superman film, what is needed is a writer who understands both the character and what the audience wants out of a superman film (not what they, the writer wants, that was the failure of SR).

Exactly.

You don't make Superman a better character on the big screen by changing him... You do it by actually being faithful to him for once.

I think you're overestimating the importance of the fanbase. I have the X-Men First Class example in mind when it comes to a recent film with great feedback from fans, impressive word of mouth but disappointing to average results at the B.O.

no, the current Xmen franchise has kind of run its course. FC was a good flick, but this is the 5th film in franchise. Every property needs to rest after a time, and x men is no different. There is a difference when comparing a fresh franchise, to whipped dead horse. Think of Star Trek. Couple with that the oversaturation of the market with superhero movies. Production companies should pace themselves.

the audience that is going to be chomping at the bit to see a new movie, is going to be its fanbase. So winning them over is key. From there, the GA will either pick it up, or not.

Last edited:
I heard and read fanboys saying the same about Nolan's Batman.
Yet The Dark Knight grossed over 1 billion dollars.

Meaning that GA doesn't give a f*** about classic costumes, logos and stuff as ridiculous as an haircut (wich a lot a of comic version dropped btw).

Give them a good movie, with a strong script, good acting, decent action scenes and a modern take on what they perceive as an outdated character. They'll go see it even though it's considered as revisionist or deconstructionist by a few fanboys (who will strangely go see the movie several times no matter what).

I really hope they use the "Nolan way" on this one. The the film's crew will respect the essence of the character but will feel free to adapt it's mythology for the 21st century.

Win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"