The Dark Knight How will they handle the general public?

Saint

Avenger
Reaction score
This viral campaign, thus far, has been limited almost exclusively to the fanboy crowd, and obviously we're responding well. However, I am curious as to how WB intends to handle the general public, who are probably not interested in viral campaigns.

It's inventive stuff, and I'm interested to see what they concoct to appeal to Joe Blow, who isn't going to spend his time solving Joker puzzles. Will they resort to more conventional tactics in targeting the "normals," as they did with Begins, or will they remain creative (though less exclusive than this recent push)?

I probably a good bet that WB is trying to build up the same sort of insane hype that B89 enjoyed before release. Obviously it would be ideal if this latest endeavor warranted coverage in the news media, so perhaps an eye should be kept out for that today.

I've been thinking about this as well.

My last few posts have addressed this.

The viral thing plays to the young male crowd and the male "I haven't grown up yet" crowd.

To me, these are the sure thing ticket buyers.

You need to get to those who may not necessarily go to see a Batman film and you must make them feel compelled to go.

It's a tall order. Always has been.

I'd say that normal viewers will appreciate a more inventive marketing campaign from WB. If a Silver Surfer statue descending a cardboard building worked that well for FF2, then I think actions similar to the viral marketing will hit the nail on the head.
Still, this is a world where people liked Transformers, so maybe they need something conventional and not very intelligent and people will hop right in...

FF2 has been a box office diappointment.

Also, Batman Begins kept the kiddies away in the same way that Batman Returns did.

The Dark Knight appears to be even darker, scarier.

A great thing for us, but you pretty much lose the 10 and under crowd.

That means no kiddie ticket sale and no parent ticket sale, sometimes both parents.

This is how PIXAR and the older Disney films (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, The Little Mermaid, et. al.) cleaned up.

So now you have to tap potential audience elsewhere to cover for that loss...which is substantial.

This is how the Spider-Man franchise was able to rake it in:

Kid friendly.

I figure TDK needs older males who don't go to the movies as much anymore to go, hopefully in packs along with some older females (wifes or girlfriends).

Yes, FF2 has been a box office disappointment, but its marketing was deemed a good one. People saw the Surfer statue (at least in my country) and, while not very into FF, they still wowed.

I agree about the target audience you mentioned for TDK. I think that people will be impressed with a more inventive marketing and will give the movie a chance. Note that I might be giving my opinion based on people in Greece, who are not into comic book movies, or fantasy movies in general. They're not really impressed by that genre much. So, for them, I believe the viral marketing could do wonders.

All this Joker Marketing stuff feels very much like a gift from WB and Nolan to us. Becuase we're the only ones who see it and know about it.

And I'm sure they'll just go the normal route of marketing for the general public. Not by the books, but much more standard than what WE'RE getting.

And if they DO go the much more normal marketing route for the public, then they must be VERY confident in the movie itself to get an awesome opening weekend, after which the good word-of-mouth will start, carry on on awesome legs, and then come out on DVD and KILL. Not to mention the merchandise.

Joker could crash the Oprah show while he's still in Chi-town and do a make over special, maybe a couple smiles. That would appeal to women ages 30+.

Idk man, I've seen TDK threads on other forums I visit and those threads were bumped today with the teaser and the new Joker pic and the phone number. Sure the hype isn't as high as it is here(how can it be) but there are a ***** load of "casual" Batman fans and movie fans in general who can't wait for this movie.

We're MOSTLY the only ones who see it.

Better?

All this Joker Marketing stuff feels very much like a gift from WB and Nolan to us. Becuase we're the only ones who see it and know about it.

Idk man, I've seen TDK threads on other forums I visit and those threads were bumped today with the teaser and the new Joker pic and the phone number. Sure the hype isn't as high as it is here(how can it be) but there are a ***** load of "casual" Batman fans and movie fans in general who can't wait for this movie.

They ARE appealing to the 'Normals' with this campaign - Fanboys like us figure it all out, then we go gushing to the normals and explain it all to them....thusly hyping them up. =)

[Peter Griffin] Gee, I neer tought of it like that before! [/Peter Griffin]

I say Warner Bros should have Christian Bale dress up as Batman and go door to door telling everyone about The Dark Knight movie. That's a pretty good way to address The Dark Knight to the general public.

They ARE appealing to the 'Normals' with this campaign - Fanboys like us figure it all out, then we go gushing to the normals and explain it all to them....thusly hyping them up. =)

No not really. Sorry, but fanboys aren't the best people in social environments nor to "sell" things to normal everyday folk. Sure, they can get word out, but it will be WB telling people why they will enjoy TDK that will get them in theaters.

WB needs to crank up the heroic aspects of Batman. If Ledger pulls off Joker, let's see hints of his charismatic insanity in the commercials, because people like the bad boys. Then contrast that with Batman, and you get appeal.

People loved BB, and its slow but steady BO proved that word of mouth spread. This one WILL make more money than the first one, I can almost certainly guarantee.

After the silliness and dumbness of SM3, GR, and FF2, TDK will show people that there still can be intelligent AND enjoyable comic book movies out there.

Joker could crash the Oprah show while he's still in Chi-town and do a make over special, maybe a couple smiles. That would appeal to women ages 30+.

This guy has the right idea!

FF2 has been a box office diappointment.

Also, Batman Begins kept the kiddies away in the same way that Batman Returns did.

The Dark Knight appears to be even darker, scarier.

A great thing for us, but you pretty much lose the 10 and under crowd.

That means no kiddie ticket sale and no parent ticket sale, sometimes both parents.

This is how PIXAR and the older Disney films (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, The Little Mermaid, et. al.) cleaned up.

So now you have to tap potential audience elsewhere to cover for that loss...which is substantial.

This is how the Spider-Man franchise was able to rake it in:

Kid friendly.

I figure TDK needs older males who don't go to the movies as much anymore to go, hopefully in packs along with some older females (wifes or girlfriends).

I've heard these points many times but I don't completely agree with them. Batman may not be as kid friendly as Spider-Man but that doesn't but that doesn't mean kids won't still enjoy it. Remember, Batman has been one of the most merchandised and commercialized characters ever. Odds are, most of the posters here started liking Batman when they were kids. Batman (1989) was full of violence and murder and very creepy elements but that didn't stop it from making $414 million dollars domestic (adjusted for inflation). Heck I remember Batman: Mask of the Phantasm from when I was a kid. That was one of the most serious superhero movies I've ever seen. It was basically a tragic love story full of murder, revenge, sadness...and this was a cartoon! The character easily fits into darker, grittier stories. But that has NEVER stopped WB from bombarding kids with Batman action figures, Batman kid-sized t-shirts, Batman pajamas, Batman sunglasses, Batman bubble bath...etc.

Mark my words, you will see a whole slew of The Dark Knight merchandise directed at kids. The reason is because WB still expects that kids are interested in the character and will be interested in the movie. The reason BB didn't do more had a lot to do with how bad Batman and Robin was imo. Now that the general audience has seen how good BB was, I think they'll be there for The Dark Knight. :up:

I've heard these points many times but I don't completely agree with them. Batman may not be as kid friendly as Spider-Man but that doesn't but that doesn't mean kids won't still enjoy it. Remember, Batman has been one of the most merchandised and commercialized characters ever. Odds are, most of the posters here started liking Batman when they were kids. Batman (1989) was full of violence and murder and very creepy elements but that didn't stop it from making $414 million dollars domestic (adjusted for inflation). Heck I remember Batman: Mask of the Phantasm from when I was a kid. That was one of the most serious superhero movies I've ever seen. It was basically a tragic love story full of murder, revenge, sadness...and this was a cartoon! The character easily fits into darker, grittier stories. But that has NEVER stopped WB from bombarding kids with Batman action figures, Batman kid-sized t-shirts, Batman pajamas, Batman sunglasses, Batman bubble bath...etc.

Mark my words, you will see a whole slew of The Dark Knight merchandise directed at kids. The reason is because WB still expects that kids are interested in the character and will be interested in the movie. The reason BB didn't do more had a lot to do with how bad Batman and Robin was imo. Now that the general audience has seen how good BB was, I think they'll be there for The Dark Knight. :up:
I agree.:up:

Don't dumb it down for the kids, they're smarter than you think. :up: This was Spider-Man's mistake--and Schumacher's Batman.

Final Point: Screw that marketing sh**. Kids will see Batman no matter what.

Don't dumb it down for the kids, they're smarter than you think. :up: This was Spider-Man's mistake--and Schumacher's Batman.

Final Point: Screw that marketing sh**. Kids will see Batman no matter what.

What mistake?
The only mistake I saw was tryig to cram 3 movies into one is SM3. And that problem would have remained even if that movie had been rated R.

Batmans main thing goig for it, moreso then spiderman, and way more then superman or xmen or anyoneelse, is that he's "cool".

Anyways; just look at this stuff, only with batman instead, and thats probably what well be seeing next july.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=279673

Its too easy to just put that batlogo on a product; plus the joker is the most marketable film villain there is aside from vader....w.b. would have to TRY to mess up this films marketing.

Same way BEGINS was kinda of downplayed; theyll try to upply TDK...Expect Bale, Ledger, Freeman, Gyllenhaal, and Eckart on all the talk shows; expect tie ins with Burger King and Pepsi, ect. Look for a cross promotion with next summer's olympics, possibly thr NBA playoffs. Look for trailers with I AM LEGEND, SPEED RACER, INDIANA JONES...Possibly a Super Bowl spot...

ya know if they were REALLLLLY clever....theyd do this:

1. Make our first view of the Joker the final spot of a super bowl trailer...if it was an iconic, laughing shot proceeding dozens of huge money shots...buzz would go through the roof.

I think it would be cool if the WB got news stations to report Joker murders like they actually happened. Kind of like how they did those War of the Worlds news broadcasts like they were actually happening back in the 30's. That would be a cool way to peak people's interest.

And I'm sure they'll just go the normal route of marketing for the general public. Not by the books, but much more standard than what WE'RE getting.

And if they DO go the much more normal marketing route for the public, then they must be VERY confident in the movie itself to get an awesome opening weekend, after which the good word-of-mouth will start, carry on on awesome legs, and then come out on DVD and KILL. Not to mention the merchandise.

Exactly. We're like a year out, of course they're not gonna be marketing to the general public now. That'd be ludicrous. When we get closer, they'll just advertise it like a normal movie, possibly doing some cool stuff like Joker "taking over" a TV show or commercial.

Same way BEGINS was kinda of downplayed; theyll try to upply TDK...Expect Bale, Ledger, Freeman, Gyllenhaal, and Eckart on all the talk shows; expect tie ins with Burger King and Pepsi, ect. Look for a cross promotion with next summer's olympics, possibly thr NBA playoffs.
Somehow I don't see half of these happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"