Superman Returns to us, Superman is the greatest superhero, but does the public think the same?

sf2

Superhero
Reaction score
it's upset that the mod has closed the thread to address the group of singermansuck, while allowing dozen of others threads to keep on bashing and trashing SR and Singer.

so the mods here just want us to bash and talk bad about SR?

anyway i continue the thread discussion here
prior to seeing it, i thought SR would pull a POTC2.
no one wouldve thought POTC2 would pull the nos it did.
i was telling everyone who would listen that SR was going to be huge.
its supeman for gods sake. the greatest and most well known superhero of all time. returning to the big screen!!!
i thought it would be MASSIVE.
then i saw the film. [as i said in above posts].
yeah. SR mostly got positive reviews.but a fair portion of people were dissapointed and let it be known.
i can only speak for myself. and i alone influenced 10odd people into not watching it as they took my word for it that it was dissapointing. this wouldve happened a 1000times over.
if the film was "better" this wouldnt've happened.
to us, Superman is the greatest superhero and he should make the greatest BO. but is the public thinking the same???
would they think that he is silly, he is too good, too boring, too traditional, too outdated???
do you know that way before the movie, there were a lot of these internet polls about the greatest movie in 2006? SR has never won. it's always at the 3rd or 4th place, behind POTC2, X3 and Divinci Code. POTC2 won all the polls.

Problem is dude, we've done this topic lke 245 times.

I personally thought that SR was the best movie of the summer.

I didn't see all the big summer movies so I can't judge. I thought Superman Returns was a good film, but obvioiusly POTC2 is the biggest film this summer.

I thought Telladega Nights was the best movie that I saw this summer but POTC2 is second.

Uh, I always thought that it was a bit ridiculous to realistically think that a new Superman movie would make over 400 million dollars, when Superman had already been on screen before and sold almost 400mil in today's dollars worth of tickets. I mean I predicted 275mil for the movie so I was way off just like 99% of people but, I don't know I never really thought that it would do 400mil, it always sounded like a fanboy pipedream.

In 2006, Superman is a retired Muhammad Ali to Spiderman's and POTC's Mike Tyson. (Circa 1980's)

sf2 said:
i

to us, Superman is the greatest superhero and he should make the greatest BO. but is the public thinking the same???

Who's us?

To me, Spider-Man has always been the greatest hero. Judging by the public reaction to the films, it looks like the public agrees.

to us? speak for yourself

even though i did enjoy the film, your thoughts on a character being the greatest in one medium firstly doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same thing and secondly doesn't mean that the fact you presented will be the case for all forms of media....

so nyah:p

superman is the greatest superhero of all time. in regards to powers and character longevity.
maybe not in the general publics eye anymore, but....
he is still, along with spiderman and batman, the most known superhero in the world.
u can ask anyone from any civilised nation in the world, from ages 4 up, who superman is, and they would know. whether they know his origins and story or whether they only know he is a man in a cape that flies, they know.
whether he is NO1 is not the issue. he is deeply inbedded in the public concience and popular culture.
more so than jack sparrow!!!
it was because POTC2 was a sequel to a popular film for all ages and marketed as pure entertainment, that was starring a hugely popular johnny depp that the film has done so incredibly well.
if SR was made that way, [which i thought it wouldve been] it wouldve done better.

sf2 said:
it's upset that the mod has closed the thread to address the group of singermansuck, while allowing dozen of others threads to keep on bashing and trashing SR and Singer.

so the mods here just want us to bash and talk bad about SR?

anyway i continue the thread discussion here

would they think that he is silly, he is too good, too boring, too traditional, too outdated???
do you know that way before the movie, there were a lot of these internet polls about the greatest movie in 2006? SR has never won. it's always at the 3rd or 4th place, behind POTC2, X3 and Divinci Code. POTC2 won all the polls.

Because Bryan Singer made THEE Icon of SUPER Heroics into a girl. Superman Returns is a boring, sappy, cheesy chick flick with bellow par action, uncharismatic cast and ridiculous storyline that ignored it's source material. if theres a Superman God, hes punishing Singer for SR and if theres a Batman God, Chris Nolans going to Heaven.

WormyT said:
Because Bryan Singer made THEE Icon of SUPER Heroics into a girl. Superman Returns is a boring, sappy, cheesy chick flick with bellow par action, uncharismatic cast and ridiculous storyline that ignored it's source material. if theres a Superman God, hes punishing Singer for SR and if theres a Batman God, Chris Nolans going to Heaven.
In your opinion..not everyones..thank you very much.

Venom71 said:
In your opinion..not everyones..thank you very much.

Welcome to SHH, where no one knows the different from fact and opinion.

WormyT said:
Because Bryan Singer made THEE Icon of SUPER Heroics into a girl. Superman Returns is a boring, sappy, cheesy chick flick with bellow par action, uncharismatic cast and ridiculous storyline that ignored it's source material.

...and those are it's good points.

Superman Returns was a great, not perfect- but great film. 9/10. The had great characters, great acting, and a great story- albiet it had plot holes. As I said, great but not perfect.

Superman is an icon in what he stands for, but now a days isn't viewed as the greatest superhero. I believe this may be due to the wake up call of 9/11 and the events before it that had awakened the world to the fact that not everything is black and white. Thus, the emergence of the popularity for such heroes as Spider-Man and Batman. Darker heroes, while Superman has always been known as a great hero he has also been labeled a "boyscout" of a sorts.

So, while Superman is a great hero and the most true hero, he is also considered a "boyscout" in the eyes of many in the general public.

Please note that I do not view Superman as "the ultimate boyscout", but that is the way that I have seen him viewed by many of the general public.

SF, It's not too hard to see I think. People didn't really like this movie that much.... because:

The vague history is confusing the hell out of the public.

On top of that the film was very... er... strange so people like my sister don't like it.

They may think it's superman V (great another one...) and some may not like the way superman, lex, etc are portrayed in it or that he's a father now. It's possible isn't it?

Maybe the movie wasn't that good. Maybe the christ referrences were too much. Maybe people expected to see superman more than the Passion.

I guess there are kids out there who never expected to see wig-top hackman lex with his bimbo sidekick ever again after experiencing Lois and Clark Lex, STAS Lex, and now smallville's Lex. This too is a possibility.

People may have expected a batman begins style superman too. I would have preferred that myself really.

Thank God for Nolan

I too thought that SR would rake in at the least 300 million and good possiability of making over 400 million, but it's was a little sad to see the Man of Steel not even break the 200 million mark domestically(well at least last i checked). I thought the film was good, even though it had problems. As to why it didn't do as well as expected, who knows, but the people that I know who saw it liked it. i saw it twice in theaters, and no one waled out and I didn't hear complaints from people when the film was over. I can say while SR was good, it didn't do anything spectacular and made you go ahhh or wow or ohhhh. The plane sequence was the best action piece and extemly well done. The fx for that sequence was top notch.

Overall Superman may need a major overhaul. I think people felt that they were going to get more of the same and nothing new would be added to the mix. The kid was the only improvement in my book. I didn't mind Singer giving Supes a kid. I thought i would hate it, but it was handled well in my opinion. Superman is predictable and a boy scout. For god's sake I don't know why the film didn't do great, i was pleased with it.

Batman pwns all, far as I see.

But, hey......maybe that's just me cuz I'm a Batman fan.

Superman does have that rep for being a vanilla type of hero. Kinda, too by the book stuff.....and that MIGHT be a turn off to most people. But, overall....the dude's got fans. He'd have to have them, if he's lasted this long.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Batman pwns all, far as I see.

But, hey......maybe that's just me cuz I'm a Batman fan.

Superman does have that rep for being a vanilla type of hero. Kinda, too by the book stuff.....and that MIGHT be a turn off to most people. But, overall....the dude's got fans. He'd have to have them, if he's lasted this long.
Batman IS the man.:up:
Superman can ALSO be the man too, but unfortunetely Bryan Singer wanted a SuperwoMAN instead of astrong hero with threatning Supervillains and dynamic epic action worthy of the legend. Just look how epic Batman Begins is and how Spiderman1,2 captured the soul of the comic books. SR didn't even capture the charm of Donners films. It was just a lackluster tribute movie. So dull, so bland.
You know Mr. Singer. Give me your address and I'll post some graphic novels to you and your teams. Study them and get back to me with an rough story that doesn't resemble Gone With The Wind. Maybe then we'll talk about a sequel.:o

So you're in charge of the sequel now? Wo, how'd you manage that?!

And they say SR was full of dull, boring drama. :rolleyes:

WormyT said:
Batman IS the man.:up:
Superman can ALSO be the man too, but unfortunetely Bryan Singer wanted a SuperwoMAN instead of astrong hero with threatning Supervillains and dynamic epic action worthy of the legend. Just look how epic Batman Begins is and how Spiderman1,2 captured the soul of the comic books. SR didn't even capture the charm of Donners films. It was just a lackluster tribute movie. So dull, so bland.
You know Mr. Singer. Give me your address and I'll post some graphic novels to you and your teams. Study them and get back to me with an rough story that doesn't resemble Gone With The Wind. Maybe then we'll talk about a sequel.:o

Awesome words.
I wish you were in charge of the sequel.
Congrats.

A fact? You don't say. And you wanted me to believe that you weren't bias before? Lol, unless you were just being sarcastic. Because that is not a fact- that is known as an opinion if you couldn't tell the difference.

Saph ( tempest19), stop picking on me as I don't seem to be trying to teach you a lesson everytime you post sth here.

Get off my back, dude!

Post away that you love this movie. explain why you love it. I don't care and I don't give a rat's *** what your opinion is and I'm NOT lecturing you on whether you're biased or not.
And I expect you to do the same when I post mine.

Got it?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"