how to get the non-fan / general public interested in MOS?

+225m in the US a modest success? I've still to see a sh movie able to cross the 200m mark this year. LOL Merced I don't understand you. You write everywhere that Superman is a dead franchise/brand compared with other titles, that the SR baggage in still here, and then you say that a reboot that does far more than 210m in the US will be a "modest success"?

If MOS does 225-250m in the US and +450m ww with a budget of 175 it will be considered a very successful restart, exactly like Batman Begins.

Well aslong as its marketed right people will come, the trailers should be explosive but most of all if the film is well done and it gets good reviews that will umtimately help aswell.

Having the trailer be explosive would be good, but even more important is that it feels epic, iconic. Superman is, and always will be, the greatest superhero of all time, the daddy of them all. Any trailer needs to reflect that.

As much as I am a lover of John Williams score for S:TM, I have come around to the way of thinking that this new endeavour needs to stand (or fall) on its own merits.

That was a hard realisation for me because I adore S:TM (I was 14 when it came out). As much as anything else, the music made S:TM epic.
But this is a new generation and they need to have their own Superman, not something recycled from over thirty years ago. And I think approaching it like this will get more people into the cinema when they realise they are getting a Superman for their own generation.

Perhaps at the end of MoS when Superman has finally established himself as a hero for the Earth, a few bars of Williams can be incorporated into the new fanfare as a "nod" to us old timers who remember and love the Williams march.

As well as this, I would like to see a costume which honours the traditional Superman suit, but is updated using the most modern materials available with some slight tweaks here and there to the design.
Superman Returns tried, but missed on several items. We all know what they are and I won't waste time going over them. As long as it is not an armour costume...

If we get the above and the writers treat Superman realistically, i.e. no camp or forced humour. Then I really believe we could be onto a winner here.

Certainly the cast we have so far, gives me some hope. Also with such good names attached, this will hopefully, get a lot of non-fans interested enough to go to the cinema, watch and report what an epic film it was.

"Having the trailer be explosive would be good, but even more important is that it feels epic, iconic. Superman is, and always will be, the greatest superhero of all time, the daddy of them all. Any trailer needs to reflect that."

Absolutely. Also, depending on the amount of Krypton-backstory, they should include some otherworldly money-shots like in THOR and Green Lantern. The GA loves their sci-fi-stuff.
And lastly, possibly also address the emotional/human-elements - the alien vs. human-aspect in and within Superman. The trailers should showcase more than just superhero- and action-packed stuff.

To get people to see the movie. They got to want to bring a bunch of folks with them.
As of this posting here are the top 5 movies.

1. Transformers: Dark of the Moon

This is a film that kids and adults want to see. This is a film that looks like the trip to the theater, buying food, paying for the ticket.......is going to be worth the experience

2. Horrible Bosses

Trailer looked hilarious but I would bring the kids.

3. Zookeeper

Feels too much like a cheap cheap comedy designed to bring in the kids

4. Cars 2 $15.2M

Comedy for kids(though Pixar is known for mastering of having the film appeal to adult and child audiences)

5. Bad Teacher $9M

Returns was a love story with little action. To get people in the seats, you need to sell them what they want. You need to convince them that they should give up their day to see the movie. Some of you are really talking about keeping them in the seats and telling their friends to go see it.

Comedy for adults

It needs to have an attention grabbing trailer in front of TDKR.

It needs to have an attention grabbing trailer in front of TDKR.
A cut scene with Superman flying ferociously with a purpose, smashing some ****, pissed with glowing red eyes, would play extremely well in front of TDKR. Add some grandiose sweeping views of Krypton, a la Thor, and some tender/romantic shots of Cavill and Adams, with just a snippet of Luthor looking devilish and shadowy. Crowd would go nuts. It needs to be epic, badass, have sex appeal, and foreshadow some really cool action/effects.

A cut scene with Superman flying ferociously with a purpose, smashing some ****, pissed with glowing red eyes, would play extremely well in front of TDKR. Add some grandiose sweeping views of Krypton, a la Thor, and some tender/romantic shots of Cavill and Adams, with just a snippet of Luthor looking devilish and shadowy. Crowd would go nuts. It needs to be epic, badass, have sex appeal, and foreshadow some really cool action/effects.
That sounds like a teaser. I meant a full trailer. A teaser should be revealed much earlier.

That sounds like a teaser. I meant a full trailer. A teaser should be revealed much earlier.
I didn't intend to imply that this is all that should be included. But I do think the faster paced, less drawn out it is, the better in front of the TDKR crowd.

+225m in the US a modest success? I've still to see a sh movie able to cross the 200m mark this year. LOL Merced I don't understand you. You write everywhere that Superman is a dead franchise/brand compared with other titles, that the SR baggage in still here, and then you say that a reboot that does far more than 210m in the US will be a "modest success"?

If MOS does 225-250m in the US and +450m ww with a budget of 175 it will be considered a very successful restart, exactly like Batman Begins.

Remember, Superman Returns crossed the 200m mark domestically (and that's without adjusting for inflation.)

I think WB is aiming for 300m domestic and at least 500m world wide.

I think with good WOM this film can easily do this. I mean Superman Returns was disliked by audiences and that film made almost 400M.

I think with good WOM this film can easily do this. I mean Superman Returns was disliked by audiences and that film made almost 400M.
That is not true.

the audiences just... don't talk about it... :l

i think we gotta to analysis POTC, HP & Transformer, the 3 most successful movie franchise. no matter how bad the sequels are, audience still flock into the cinema.

Last edited:
Good viral marketing (End of the world-Superman will save us) and the cast.

I think his main problem is that he's a dull superhero, with a dull secret identity in a fruity costume. Nolan IMO given free range can update him fully, as someone mentioned previous at the moment he's in the same league as Green Lantern.

I would imagine that with their budget for this movie, the marketing and trailers should be very good. I mean movies that do not have as great of a budget had great trailers. Like "The Town", "Colombiana", "The Tree of Life" and a few others.

Those are trailers for movies that did not involve a super powered alien clad in skin-tight clothes flying and fighting off other aliens. I would imagine the Superman trailer has to be better than any other movies coming out next year.

I think his main problem is that he's a dull superhero, with a dull secret identity in a fruity costume. Nolan IMO given free range can update him fully, as someone mentioned previous at the moment he's in the same league as Green Lantern.

How to get the General Public interested in Superman?

Make sure they are not exposed to the opinions of people like this, who obviously just don't like him for whatever reason.

Let them make up their own minds :)

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it immensely.

Jeez... You guys want the glowing eyes so bad...

I agree that we need to see some action in the trailer... Some hints of the threats... But Superman charging full on into whatever with glowing red eyes is cheap and dumb, IMO

I think your main problem is you don't understand what makes an interesting superhero, with a complex secret identity in a classic costume...

And Nolan given free range can make him eat a lot of grass...?

Figure out what you want to say before you say it...

Jeez... You guys want the glowing eyes so bad...

I agree that we need to see some action in the trailer... Some hints of the threats... But Superman charging full on into whatever with glowing red eyes is cheap and dumb, IMO

Agreed.

As though red eyes is the only way they can show he's angry... Guys, Henry Cavill is an actor, not a robot!

How to get the General Public interested in Superman?

Make sure they are not exposed to the opinions of people like this, who obviously just don't like him for whatever reason.

Let them make up their own minds :)

By that reasoning, they should also not be exposed to the opinions of people like us, who obviously like Superman for whatever reason. I'm just saying that if you really want to "let them make up their own minds" then either they should get either both(/all) sides or none.

What I think the film should do is reconstruct Superman for modern audiences. Show the world as being terrified of what he could do. I read once that Lois Lane was injured covering a war. Superman came to her aid, and the enemy surrendered because they thought Superman was there to fight them. That kind of event might provide an interesting take on how the world would react to a godlike alien like Superman. It would certainly put his "nice guy" attitude in perspective, wouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"