Superman Returns to us, Superman is the greatest superhero, but does the public think the same?

why does Smallville such a big role with Superman Returns. I think its just the people ONLINE who want to connect something that's not DIRECTLY related. Does that make sense?

People complain about Smallville, and I always saw it as just a ELSEWHERE based TV show for teens. Nothing to take too seriously.

Docker said:
Superman isn't the most popular hero, that title goes to Batman or Spiderman, either one. Superman maybe the most known but not the most popular. Ask any none comic fan and their response will be Spidey or Bats. Supes name and the s on his chest is cool but if the next movie comes out and is similar to this, it probably won't make $100 million. As bad as the 90's Bats films were they always made over $100 million domestically.

That is basically the truth right there folks. (Almost meaning I'm generalizing but you get the picture)

Talk to any non-fan about superheroes: They all love :spidey: or :batty:. My friends. My GF. My relatives. My Co-Workers. almost everyone that I know.

explode7 said:
^IT may be dull at times but at least it isn't duller than SR.
To you, to me that show should have been cancelled three years ago.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Thats actually a VERY good point, i remember when Hulk came out in '03 many people disliked it because they saw the true interpretation of the Hulk character as the one from the T.V series. So when they saw the Hulk doing all of the things he could do from the COMICS on the big screen, they couldnt accept it. Also when they saw a different type of Bruce Banner, instead of the David Banner from the series, they didnt like him.
By that logic, Batman 89 should have failed cuz Adam West was still Batman in most people´s minds. But Smallville´s case may be a bit different cuz it´s a more recent show, and there´s even classic Superman at the JLU cartoon. People could have felt there´s already too much Superman-related stuff around

ultimatefan said:
But Smallville´s case may be a bit different cuz it´s a more recent show, and there´s even classic Superman at the JLU cartoon. People could have felt there´s already too much Superman-related stuff around
Exactly!
Smallville is just too recent, and season 6 it´s around the corner.
The reason why they didn´t made "Bruce Wayne", was because they wanted to restart Batman...that´s a good reason.
They should have done the same thing, end it in season 4, so, a year after, a Superman could be done.
But, if they wanted it to really work, they could have made a Superman in tune with Smallville.
This way, we would have Superman younger years on tv, and Superman on the big screen.

Would it be a good way to do it?
No, because that´s not the real deal, but rather a Elseworld kind of deal...but it would have worked.
I like Smallville (i have yet to see season 4 and 5, which i have on DVD), but i see it as an Elseworld, and i can very well have two diferent Superman, because i never lose sight on what is the real and what is not.
But, we have to get that the average doesn´t, for them, there is only ONE Superman, and that´s, at this point, is the Smallville one.
And, even if the average joe gets that, they are not really into seeing the same villains over and over, both on screen and on tv.
That´s why, when the show started, i didn´t liked it, it was like i knew the problems it could bring to the table.

Octoberist said:
why does Smallville such a big role with Superman Returns. I think its just the people ONLINE who want to connect something that's not DIRECTLY related. Does that make sense?

People complain about Smallville, and I always saw it as just a ELSEWHERE based TV show for teens. Nothing to take too seriously.

I confess to liking Smallville. They've made Clark a great symbol for teenage youth - the secrets, the desires, the escapades, the sense of trying to fit in and feeling you don't fit in. It's how many teenagers feel.

The on/off thing with Lana is a bit much....but there have been some great extensions of the mythology - the caves that provide a portal to the fortress, Jor-El having visited earth in the past, the kryptonite mutants with various superpowers, the cameos from Aquaman and Flash, even a character who was almost Kara/Supergirl.

I didn't like them making Zod into a spirit form that possesses Lex, and some of it is very cheesy. But it's good light entertainment that has sustained itself for five seasons, a lot longer than some other programs.

Another season is obviously on its way (season 5 having ended with a cliffhanger) and it's time now for them to move a few things along and broaden it further. Let's see the terrifying spirit of Zod (outside Lex's body), let's see another supervillain...

It would have been nice for Smallville to end its current season just before SR with some sort of hint towards SR (like Clark having to go on a journey to his home world or something), but it didn't happen. Or rather it sort of already happened at the end of an earlier season, when he was whisked away by Jor-El into space and reborn into a new form who could fly.

Because of all this Superman stuff on screen, SR needed to do something much more daring and exciting than it did do, i think, in order to entice the audience.

X-Maniac said:
I confess to liking Smallville. They've made Clark a great symbol for teenage youth - the secrets, the desires, the escapades, the sense of trying to fit in and feeling you don't fit in. It's how many teenagers feel.

The on/off thing with Lana is a bit much....but there have been some great extensions of the mythology - the caves that provide a portal to the fortress, Jor-El having visited earth in the past, the kryptonite mutants with various superpowers, the cameos from Aquaman and Flash, even a character who was almost Kara/Supergirl.

I didn't like them making Zod into a spirit form that possesses Lex, and some of it is very cheesy. But it's good light entertainment that has sustained itself for five seasons, a lot longer than some other programs.

Another season is obviously on its way (season 5 having ended with a cliffhanger) and it's time now for them to move a few things along and broaden it further. Let's see the terrifying spirit of Zod (outside Lex's body), let's see another supervillain...

It would have been nice for Smallville to end its current season just before SR with some sort of hint towards SR (like Clark having to go on a journey to his home world or something), but it didn't happen. Or rather it sort of already happened at the end of an earlier season, when he was whisked away by Jor-El into space and reborn into a new form who could fly.

Because of all this Superman stuff on screen, SR needed to do something much more daring and exciting than it did do, i think, in order to entice the audience.

Haha, yeah. I know people on here tend to think Spider-Man and everyone else are the ones with the problems and angst while Superman was "perfect" and his character was underdeveloped. With Smallville, we get to see that at a time, even Superman had kept his head down. And he had it worse than Spider-Man since, well, he's had his powers his whole life.

Smallville to me had its best moment between seasons two and three when it was more interested in the Superman mythology, but then the ratings dropped and then the show got back to freak of the week mode and started to come up with really pointless, out of character and distracting subplots like Lana being a witch or Jonathan getting into politics.

Gonking said:
Answering your question, Superman SUCKS

Here we have it, the idiot of the week. Congratulations on winning the award, we believe you truly deserve it.

ultimatefan said:
Smallville to me had its best moment between seasons two and three when it was more interested in the Superman mythology, but then the ratings dropped and then the show got back to freak of the week mode and started to come up with really pointless, out of character and distracting subplots like Lana being a witch or Jonathan getting into politics.
I laughed at that Lana is a witch episode, it was just awful.

ultimatefan said:

Co-sign

Season 2 and 3 were the best, now its has just gotten long in the tooth and needs to end very soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"