How will Thor fly?

To those who have seen it, how does he fly? Like Superman? Does he use the hammer to fling himself? or is it like MUA2 where the hammer glows blue and give him flight?

I've seen a lot of different interpretations and I've never known what was the correct one. :huh:

The short answer is most of it looked good to me, and nothing looked terribly bad IMO.

The long answer?
Various flight shots where he simply trails after the hammer. He launches so fast that the mechanics of how flight is achieved are never clear. To that end, maybe it's a throw, or maybe he just punches it out and follows it. It's hard to tell.

There's a hover scene in a vortex with Thor twirling the hammer above him.

The shot I don't like is a landing on the Bifrost. He's flying along just above the ground, decelerates and his legs drop down to let him walk. It's not Magneto-on-the-Statue of Liberty awkward, but it looks a little odd.

MAN I need to see those scenes! lol

Various flight shots where he simply trails after the hammer. He launches so fast that the mechanics of how flight is achieved are never clear. To that end, maybe it's a throw, or maybe he just punches it out and follows it. It's hard to tell.

There's a hover scene in a vortex with Thor twirling the hammer above him.

The shot I don't like is a landing on the Bifrost. He's flying along just above the ground, decelerates and his legs drop down to let him walk. It's not Magneto-on-the-Statue of Liberty awkward, but it looks a little odd.

At least he didn't do one of those awful Iron Man landings where he hits the ground at 500 mph. I'd rather he just slow his descent with the jets like a Harrier until he touches down rather than WHANG! One of the few really fakey moments in IM for me.

I always though that Magneto landing looked just like how someone who could fly would actually land, just a gentle transfer from air to ground. Assuming they can hover lol, you wouldn't see Cannonball land like that I guess.

At least he didn't do one of those awful Iron Man landings where he hits the ground at 500 mph. I'd rather he just slow his descent with the jets like a Harrier until he touches down rather than WHANG! One of the few really fakey moments in IM for me.

I always though that Magneto landing looked just like how someone who could fly would actually land, just a gentle transfer from air to ground. Assuming they can hover lol, you wouldn't see Cannonball land like that I guess.
heh I wondered quite often How Stark doesn't have Whiplash. lol

Really? I loved how Iron Man flys different than oh, say Superman or Thor who basically do a "Physics? What's that?:huh:" type deal. And too be fair not all of Iron Man's landings are hard. He landed on stage at the end of IM2 pretty smoothly by comparison. Depends of what kind of rush he's in, I guess. Not that I have any problem with how Supes or Thor fly, but I appreciate variety.

Flight looked weird to me. It's like he had no weight whatsoever. I realise they wanted to demonstrate Thor's strength but it's literally about 1.5 seconds from when he takes off to when he's out of sight.

heh I wondered quite often How Stark doesn't have Whiplash. lol

Gotta have inertial dampeners of some sort, just for the maneuvers at super sonics, let alone the landings.

True, or getting knocked out of the sky by a tank shell.

Flight looked weird to me. It's like he had no weight whatsoever. I realise they wanted to demonstrate Thor's strength but it's literally about 1.5 seconds from when he takes off to when he's out of sight.

I'm just glad he flies a good bit in the movie, I mean it's not like I expected him to have "Iron Man" or "Iron Man 2 level flight scenes.

as long as it doesnt look TOO fake, im cool. heck im just glad he's flying. i had heard rumors that he wasnt going to fly and that they were going to make him less powerful

as long as it doesnt look TOO fake, im cool. heck im just glad he's flying. i had heard rumors that he wasnt going to fly and that they were going to make him less powerful

Did you see the film?

I loved the visual effects shown to display Thor's flight. The best visual display was Thor flying towards the rainbow bridge to confront Loki .

Yeah I loved how Thor flew in the movie, my favorites are probably the one he did in the Frost Giant battle and the flew up in the air during the Destroyer fight.

And he actually did the hammer spin to take off. Totally didn't expect that.

Well...he's a magical God, so...he can defy physics as much as he wants. :p

The flight looked good. It was on of the few marvels of the movie.

I enjoyed him flying so fast that he fixed that Ice Monster's sore throat for him!
That was a great scene!

INDEED it was! I liked the Flying, was worried they'd try and over do a windy sound effect, a Cloth flapping in the wind would have been enough.

I loved Thor's flight. I didn't fret over the takeoffs too much, although they were extremely quick. But when he's actually in flight, it looked great to me. That's the iconic Thor pose, with him flying hammer-first to f*** some s*** up. The landing on Bifrost looked okay to me too. How else should he land?

I absolutely loved the Flying through the Frost Beast's head. Right out out the Ages of Thunder books! lol

I loved Thor's flight. I didn't fret over the takeoffs too much, although they were extremely quick. But when he's actually in flight, it looked great to me. That's the iconic Thor pose, with him flying hammer-first to f*** some s*** up. The landing on Bifrost looked okay to me too. How else should he land?

I kinda like Thor's quick takeoffs and I thought the landing on the Bifrost looked pretty good as well.

Last edited:
And he actually did the hammer spin to take off. Totally didn't expect that.

I noticed the hammer spin a couple times, not just for flying. It was very unexpected and
cool. :thor:

yea the twirl was a surprise for me too. i thought i read somewhere that there wasn't going to be any twirling because they didn't have time to do it. im glad this was not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"