The Avengers How would the general audience react to Hulk talking??

TX85

Avenger
Reaction score
Many big Hulk fans like myself would love for the Hulk to finally talk as in the comics,But IF he did then how do you think the general audience would react to Hulk having speaking lines besides"hulk...smash!"?.

I could imagine plenty of"cheesy/lame/******ed/gay/stupid/hilarious"comments going on!,I would maybe agree that it could come off as cheesy But I still think it would be great and no need to make him into a talking machine But some lines would be a great treat for fans and one that I could imagine happening could be.....

The Avengers have Hulk down on his knees or something after all of them taking big shots to him,And then Thor asks"Thou this green beast not talk for itself OR is the only living soul within Bruce Banner hidden underneath this savage monster??".....Hulk struggles to form words But then yells out"Hulk is stronger/faster/mightier and better than you!....Hulk smash's through you!"

I've never heard anyone complain of his talking in The Incredible Hulk.

"Leave me alone."

"Betty..."

"HULK...SMASH!"

If anything, that last line got people really excited. It's one of those "Hell yeah!" moments and I think more lines like that would generate the same reaction in The Avengers.

He should not talk like a caveman. Maybe single words and answers on rare occasions...or at least do it in a way that doesn't sound like he's stupid. remember Iron Giant? Something along the lines of that if he can't speak normally, or just have him retain his ability to converse like Banner....but he's very reserved, only speaking when absolutely necessary.

To be honest, i think most people kind of like it when he says very little and is quite mono-syllabic. I'm personally of the belief that they had him speak just about enough in the Norton movie of a couple of years back. It had effect, when he (or Banner coming through) wanted to be left alone, did the 'Hulk Smash!' thing and then acknowledged the only person who hadn't attacked him in Betty.

He doesn't need to say much, the massive green-ness and huge acts of unstoppable violence pretty much does it for him.

I want him to be able to say "Hulk love beans. Beans are good."

If you check the old 70s comics, the Hulk did speak in full sentences as the Savage incarnation. Yet he ALWAYS referred to himself in the 3rd person and he didn't use plurals often. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work in a movie if it was done properly. Sadly, the writers of today just can't grasp Savage Hulk's dialogue quite like Len Wein did.

If the Hulk is a misunderstood foe for the Avengers to take down for the first half of the film before he becomes part of the team he has to have some dialogue. It would better establish his character to show why he's doing what he's doing. And even after part of the team, he's going to have to communicate with the other Avengers.

I don't know if he should sound like 'slow Hulk', but what he says should always be to the point.

I don't want the guy quoting Shakespeare or anything, but a little more dialog would be welcome.

I think if they keep it along the lines of the first one (marvel Movieverse that is not ang lees) then it will be fine. One thing we dont want to see is what happened with the old conan movies. First one is a classic and Arnie doesnt talk to much but the second one he wont shut the hell up and its all corny **** too.

The Avengers have Hulk down on his knees or something after all of them taking big shots to him,And then Thor asks"Thou this green beast not talk for itself OR is the only living soul within Bruce Banner hidden underneath this savage monster??".....Hulk struggles to form words But then yells out"Hulk is stronger/faster/mightier and better than you!....Hulk smash's through you!"
I dont mean to bash ur idea at all friend but i think its a fine line of Hulk sounding childlike in thought and then actually saying stuff that a five year old would say. Just my opinion
Also i think it would be nice to see the hulk actually winning his fight with the Avengers but then possible takes a critical blow while defending some civilians from maybe some debree or an explosion. It would be cool if savage hulk was the only one in that moment that new what is important kinda like how in Civil War the heroes didnt relise how much harm they were causing

Last edited:
As long as they pick and choose the lines well, and they're delivered effectively, they should come across just fine. Even if they do seem kind of corny, people won't mind in the right context.

Some that I'd like to hear are "Hulk smash metal man!" and "Hulk is strongest one there is!"

Whoa, I had no idea there was another Pumpkin Bomb here.

Howdy.

I don't want the guy quoting Shakespeare or anything, but a little more dialog would be welcome.

Hulk think something rotten in state of Denmark.

Do Hulk fans....like...talk to eachother (or themselves) in Hulkanese? "Mmm...Big Gulp taste good..." "Hulk want more cereal...", etc....?

Last edited:
I don't think I like Hulk calling people "Einstein."

Also i think it would be nice to see the hulk actually winning his fight with the Avengers but then possible takes a critical blow while defending some civilians from maybe some debree or an explosion. It would be cool if savage hulk was the only one in that moment that new what is important

This would be a fantasy come true for me.
But instead of a critical blow/explosion ending the fight, how about this:
The Avengers throw everything they can at the Hulk and he just keeps coming. They don't know how to take him down...and then they'll see the Hulk actually protecting innocents/a puppy/a deer and the Avengers will horrifically ask themselves who the real monsters are, here.

The break in fighting is what will calm the Hulk down. Then the team will realize that the Hulk is much more an asset than a hindrance and they need him (because they definitely don't want to be against him)!

Its a different take on the Hulk. Hulk has had varied levels of intelligence and coherent dialogue. Take the Planet Hulk and World War Hulk shorelines.

I kinda liked the Hulk's talking in"Planet Hulk"!,"Hulk is the strongest there is!"would be a must have IMO.....IF they go ahead with the idea of it.

To be honest, i think most people kind of like it when he says very little and is quite mono-syllabic. I'm personally of the belief that they had him speak just about enough in the Norton movie of a couple of years back. It had effect, when he (or Banner coming through) wanted to be left alone, did the 'Hulk Smash!' thing and then acknowledged the only person who hadn't attacked him in Betty.

He doesn't need to say much, the massive green-ness and huge acts of unstoppable violence pretty much does it for him.

TIH needed a bit more. The cave scene with he and Betty is the perfect example of one of many wasted opportunities for the poor Hulk character over the years. The Hulk of the comics talks to Betty. The Hulk of the comics does not meekly accept being called "Bruce".

Instead we got: Hulk character stares at Betty balefully as we cross our fingers that the audience can figure out what he is thinking.

The fight with the Abomination was frustrating....as The Abomination was given lots of things to say and was able to express himself quite well. (note the the audience did not break out into gales of laughter when he spoke) The Hulk in the exact same scenes was again relegated to a mute that has to struggle to form two words.

I truly despise that TV show. That's where this entire idea came from. We've had countless talking "monsters" who had strange speech patterns over the years that audiences had no problem with. But somehow the Hulk is the one that would cause everyone to laugh.

Spider-Man doesn't know how lucky he was that his equally lame TV show never got going. (Spider-Man was also a mute in that one) Since Bill Bixby was "the star" he had to get all the attention. Poor Lou was just there to flex his muscles and jog away so Bill could get back onscreen.

This formula was so "successful" that the TV show never broke into the top 25 in the ratings. Naturally Hollywood copied that formula instead of trying something different....so two Hulk movies that also failed to generate anything special at the box office resulted.

So by all means...let's keep doing that! :word:

I used to love that show as a kid. So whatever. Bixby is my favorite Banner.

One of my friends doesnt like the idea of hulk talking I conisder him to be in the general audience side of things. But if he does talk it should be breif and when needed and his facial reactions should carry him when words arent being used.

i hope he does talk, more hulk and less banner for avengers.
if they had no problem with the thing talking(orange rock monster), they should have no problem with the hulk who's alter ego is a freakin genius. im sure turning into the hulk doesnt make him ******ed, so he should be able to speak. when he is the hulk he always tries to save people or keep people from harm so he has intelligence. i figure he is just so angry that it's like waking up in the morning and people try to talk to you or joke around and all you want to do is wake up. so maybe he has just been too cranky to speak and now he is "woken up" more and can now speak.

I think of Hulk as the ultimate personification of id. He doesn't talk much because his brain is frenetic, and when he is forced to talk his sentences rarely make much sense. When you start adding in more dialog, you lose that and it sort of takes away from his raging monster persona.

TIH Hulk needed a few more lines, but not many.

TIH needed a bit more. The cave scene with he and Betty is the perfect example of one of many wasted opportunities for the poor Hulk character over the years. The Hulk of the comics talks to Betty. The Hulk of the comics does not meekly accept being called "Bruce".

Instead we got: Hulk character stares at Betty balefully as we cross our fingers that the audience can figure out what he is thinking.

The fight with the Abomination was frustrating....as The Abomination was given lots of things to say and was able to express himself quite well. (note the the audience did not break out into gales of laughter when he spoke) The Hulk in the exact same scenes was again relegated to a mute that has to struggle to form two words.

I truly despise that TV show. That's where this entire idea came from. We've had countless talking "monsters" who had strange speech patterns over the years that audiences had no problem with. But somehow the Hulk is the one that would cause everyone to laugh.

Spider-Man doesn't know how lucky he was that his equally lame TV show never got going. (Spider-Man was also a mute in that one) Since Bill Bixby was "the star" he had to get all the attention. Poor Lou was just there to flex his muscles and jog away so Bill could get back onscreen.

This formula was so "successful" that the TV show never broke into the top 25 in the ratings. Naturally Hollywood copied that formula instead of trying something different....so two Hulk movies that also failed to generate anything special at the box office resulted.

So by all means...let's keep doing that! :word:

Agreed, the damn TV show is the problem, to many people, especially those who never read Hulk comics, think that is how the Hulk should be. I use to watch it as a kid, and I liked it but, The Hulk should be based from the source material - the COMICS, not the TV show with Bill Bixby, the Hulk can talk and should talk, just not alot. It would be stupid to not have the Hulk talk in the Avengers movie.
P.S. Hulk vs the Avengers in a movie idea is played out, The purpose of TIH movie was to portray him as a hero, lets keep going in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"