The Avengers How would the general audience react to Hulk talking??

This formula was so "successful" that the TV show never broke into the top 25 in the ratings. Naturally Hollywood copied that formula instead of trying something different....so two Hulk movies that also failed to generate anything special at the box office resulted.

So by all means...let's keep doing that! :word:

So, the #26 show in the ratings (look it up) is to blame for the two movies?
It has nothing to do with Ang Lee, moss, multiple-choice Hulk height, Absorbing Dad, and a whole lot of nothing happening, right?
The single flaw of both movies is that they were basing it on the aspect of the TV show that had the Hulk not speak?
Ang Lee's Hulk didn't pull any aspect of the TV show...so stop blaming the TV show for the cinematic abortion that was Ang Lee's Hulk. He even misquoted the *one* verbal homage to the show.

And I think TIH suffered from 1) trying a reboot too soon--the wound from 2003 was still fresh. People were saying, "I got burnt by that once, not again," and 2) instead of trying to make the best Hulk movie they could, they tried to make a movie that WASN'T Ang Lee's Hulk in every way. They succeeded in the latter.

Agreed, the damn TV show is the problem, to many people, especially those who never read Hulk comics, think that is how the Hulk should be.

The TV show is the problem?
The show ended 28 years ago! That's older than a good portion of the audience!
Ang Lee's Hulk did more damage to the franchise than Lou Ferrigno ever did.

So, the #26 show in the ratings (look it up) is to blame for the two movies?
It has nothing to do with Ang Lee, moss, multiple-choice Hulk height, Absorbing Dad, and a whole lot of nothing happening, right?
The single flaw of both movies is that they were basing it on the aspect of the TV show that had the Hulk not speak?
Ang Lee's Hulk didn't pull any aspect of the TV show...so stop blaming the TV show for the cinematic abortion that was Ang Lee's Hulk. He even misquoted the *one* verbal homage to the show.

And I think TIH suffered from 1) trying a reboot too soon--the wound from 2003 was still fresh. People were saying, "I got burnt by that once, not again," and 2) instead of trying to make the best Hulk movie they could, they tried to make a movie that WASN'T Ang Lee's Hulk in every way. They succeeded in the latter.

All true about Ang's movie. (Still not sure where he got the height thing from) But the TV show put the Hulk character into the public consciousness in a certain way....as a non-speaking character. It's been that way ever since.

The Hulk has never been a real character as a result. He wasn't a real character on the TV show or either of the movies. He puts in special appearances. Ask around and see if anyone knows that the Hulk and Banner are two separate beings or that the Hulk hates banner. Heck...ask someone anything about the Hulk character and see how much they know about him. This is after a TV show and two movies that were named after him.

Unlike other super heroes, it isn't still Banner when he transforms. In Spider-man, Iron Man, and Batman movies, the character is being developed whether he is in costume or not. The Hulk character....we are still waiting for him to be developed as a character. At the moment he is a mindless brute that smashes things and nothing more.

The TV show is the problem?
The show ended 28 years ago! That's older than a good portion of the audience!
Ang Lee's Hulk did more damage to the franchise than Lou Ferrigno ever did.

Ang's movie was bad in that it had the chance to repair the damage from the TV show like the first Batman movie did for that character....and didn't do it. Since so many bring up the TV show I'd say it is still a major cultural reference point. (Even Joss Whedon brings it up :csad: ) Point is...it all started with the same TV network that came up with that wonderful treatment for that failed Spider-Man TV show.

I would never blame poor Lou Ferrigno. I read once that they didn't let him talk because he had a speech impediment. Huh? That's friggin perfect for the Hulk!

No...the real reason was the "the star" had to receive all the screentime and best lines. Same thing happens when they hire an Ed Norton type for Banner...guess who isn't going to be willing to play 2nd fiddle to the Hulk character?

Some director is eventually going to figure this stuff out if he bothers to crack open a comic book and see how important the Hulk character is.

He should talk about as much as Jason Momoa's character on Stargate Atlantis did. Watch an ep. of that show and you'll get the general idea.

Some director is eventually going to figure this stuff out if he bothers to crack open a comic book and see how important the Hulk character is.

I have high hopes that Whedon could be that guy. :awesome:

One of my friends doesnt like the idea of hulk talking I conisder him to be in the general audience side of things. But if he does talk it should be breif and when needed and his facial reactions should carry him when words arent being used.
According to Joss, the Avengers group chemistry is going to be family-like. As such, Hulk makes the perfect child character for that family. Also, CGI Hulk would be less of a sell if, like Gollum, he was more of a character (dialogue) and less of a weapon.

Last edited:
I simply think we are never going to see the Hulk talk because executives and filmmakers are too worried it would look and sound "stupid" and audiences wouldn't accep it.

Sort of like why we couldn't see sentinels in X-men. Because GIANT ROBOTS ARE STUPID! People don't want to see giant robots!

Hulk and iron man final one on one fight would be awesome .hulk fighting thor and ironman his strength un matched.it ends when hulk is finally killed.

Sounds like the worst possible ending to me.

I simply think we are never going to see the Hulk talk because executives and filmmakers are too worried it would look and sound "stupid" and audiences wouldn't accept it.

If it were anyone but Whedon, I'd agree; Whedon's very good with dialogue, especially odd dialogue. I think he could pull off a character like Hulk even if he sounded silly without making the audience want to crawl under their seat with embarrassment.

Like it or not Whedon is still a hired gun. If they want him to change or keep out certain thing will.

Whedon is not the one funding the picture.

Movystar, don't be a moron. I was expressing the viewpoint that studio executives believed before Transformers came out and made billions of dollars.

"bah, Hulk does not want stupid fish to eat! Hulk wants good food ... like beans!"

It was fine if he didn't talk in his own movie, because we see him dealing with stuff from his pov. But here he's not the only heavy hitter star, so just being mute and growling and grunting ain't gonna cut it. When he finally gets to a semi-calm state, Stark and the rest are gonna try and talk to him at some point so he needs to say something.

Ferigno is voicing Hulk again, so if Hulk talks it'll be in third person.

I can't see Ferigno voicing a smart Hulk.

From what I have seen of the micro episodes of the new Avengers cartoon, Hulk there seems to be alternating between 1st person and 3rd person speech, depending on his agitation level. I think it works pretty good and reminds me(in personality) greatly of the gravage Hulk(who I consider to be in most personality ways a throwback to the Hulk as first conceived in issue #1 in 1962). Hopefully the movie Hulk in the Avengers is similar.

I like Lou as much as the next Hulk fan, but I personally find it hard to believe that he's confirmed for the movie considering he hasn't spoken to the director yet. Lou has been saying that he's going to be involved with Avengers since 08. Sadly, I think he's the only one who thinks so at this point.

I certainly hope he is though.

From what I have seen of the micro episodes of the new Avengers cartoon, Hulk there seems to be alternating between 1st person and 3rd person speech, depending on his agitation level. I think it works pretty good and reminds me(in personality) greatly of the gravage Hulk(who I consider to be in most personality ways a throwback to the Hulk as first conceived in issue #1 in 1962). Hopefully the movie Hulk in the Avengers is similar.

From what I've seen of the cartoon he's *almost* bordering on too smart for my tastes....but I guess we'll see how everything unfolds as the series gets going.

The 2008 movie Hulk said, "Leave me alone."
That's not third person and it was Ferrigno.
Ferrigno has voiced smart characters before, I don't see why he would be incapable of voicing a smart Hulk...I just hope & pray we don't get "smart" Hulk (meaning Professor Hulk or Merged, etc.).

When I think "smart Hulk", I immediately start thinking of Hulk issue #1. That's the kinda smart Hulk I can get behind.

From what I've seen of the cartoon he's *almost* bordering on too smart for my tastes....but I guess we'll see how everything unfolds as the series gets going.

To me, too smart is when he starts talking like Bruce. Being a gruff bruiser type though IMO is totally in line with the character. I've seen all the Hulk micro episodes and he clearly goes back & forth in his speech patterns, depending on how angry he is. More angry = more devolved 3rd person speech & vice versa. But there even at his smartest/calmest he still just talks like a bruiser and not Bruce. I think it works well.

I like Lou as much as the next Hulk fan, but I personally find it hard to believe that he's confirmed for the movie considering he hasn't spoken to the director yet. Lou has been saying that he's going to be involved with Avengers since 08. Sadly, I think he's the only one who thinks so at this point.

I certainly hope he is though.

Who else would they get? The guy who's voicing him in the games & cartoons now?

Hulk needs to talk. It will let him be more human & not ape like. Plus if Loki controls his brain then they could have Loki talk through the Hulk.

I'd like to see him slowly grow to talking more, but they can't just flip a switch and have him talk more with no explanation. i could see him becoming more talkative through interactions with rick jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"