Homecoming How would you compare the two peters from the comics?

He goes after the Lizard on the bridge because his spider sense goes off. I doubt he's even aware of exactly what's on the bridge in the first place--he goes because he senses the danger.

Did you forget the scene on the bleachers??

Peter: Whatever that thing was on the bridge, it could have killed those people. I have to stop it.

Gwen: That's not your job.

Peter: Well, maybe it is.

This is all before he learns that Connors is actually the Lizard. His sense of duty and responsibility are very much intact. And what's wrong with attempting to take pictures of him fighting the Lizard to make some money?? This has been seen in multiple iterations--Peter taking pics of himself in action and selling said photos to the Bugle. In SM1, Peter takes pics of himself stopping those guys robbing the armored car--how is it any different in ASM? It isn't. .

I agree with all of this but I felt like the only reasons he took pictures of the Lizards was as a result of Captain Stacy requesting proof and ridiculing his claims of the Lizard's existence and that he is Dr.Connors, showing that he is trying to help the police as opposed to get in the way as a result of the conversations with Captain Stacy and Gwen showing growth in his character to me. not as an attempt to get money(although that might have been a bonus). and I don't think Peter was planning on leaving his camera there as a result of loosing the fight to the Lizard and being taken every which way throughout the sewers. It was just a rookie mistake. Spider-Man as a rookie have been sloppy a few times in different incarnations.

as for the whole Peter not realizing the whole magnetizing thing in order to help stop Electro which Gwen, He did try different methods of trying to improve the webbing(kind of wish we saw Peter mixing chemicals and creating different brands of webbing or Gwen letting Peter come to the conclusion himself before teasing him about being second in his class) and before he even thought of magnetizing, he got a phone call from Harry about his illness among a few other dilemmas before coming up with a proper solution.

@OriginalMiles Connors as Ultimate Eddie Brock sr. make sense, Richard Parker's lab partner for a big corrupt corporation(Trask Industries or Oscorp), Peter's few sources to who he is dad is and what he is and what he was working on which could have helped the world(Cross species mutation or Venom Symbiote being the cure for cancer) which ultimately the big boss used for military application. Harry feels like a mix of Ultimate Harry and Ultimate Eddie Brock Jr(I kind of wished we had a scene of Peter finding some tapes of Peter and Harry playing together as kids with Uncle Ben, Aunt May, and Peter's parents)

Gwen as MJ

What does that mean? MJ is the love interest in Ultimate, not Gwen.

Home life

His home life is the same as any version of Spider-Man.

Uncle ben and aunt may

What is so Ultimate about them? If I recall Ultimate Uncle Ben looks like an old hippy with a pony tail. Martin Sheen played classic Uncle Ben.

Peters characterization

His characterization is very different to Ultimate. Ultimate Peter is polite, likeable, and is 15 years old.

Norman obsessed with Peter

That is not in these movies. Norman Osborn and Peter have never even had a scene together.

Connors as Eddie Brock sr

What?

Connors knowing who Peter is

Connors knows Peter in many mediums of Spider-Man, including the comics.

Bad luck on identity

What do you mean? Not even a quarter as many people know Peter is Spider-Man as they do in Ultimate.

Gotta agree on that.

Martin Sheen wasn't Ultimate in the slightest. 616 through and through.

Especially visually.
2010314-benjamin_parker__earth_616__0001.jpg

What does that mean? MJ is the love interest in Ultimate, not Gwen.

He's saying Gwen Stacy in TASM has a similar role to MJ. While Peter revealed his identity to both early, this doens't count because 1. in the Ultimate Comics Peter and MJ were friends for a long time, so it doesn't seem weird to reveal his identity 2. Ultimate MJ wasn't a scientist having a position at OsCorp.

What is so Ultimate about them? If I recall Ultimate Uncle Ben looks like an old hippy with a pony tail. Martin Sheen played classic Uncle Ben.

And did a poor job.

"Oh, you won a basketball game with that boy who beat the crap out of you that other day and didn't get punished? Bad, Peter, bad!"

His characterization is very different to Ultimate. Ultimate Peter is polite, likeable, and is 15 years old.

:hehe:

That is not in these movies. Norman Osborn and Peter have never even had a scene together.

Plus Ultimate Osborn wanted the serum to get superpowers, while Osborn in TASM wanted it to save his life. Harry is nothing like Ultimate Harry or Ultimate Goblin.

Also an invalid comparison since Brock Sr. and Connors have very different roles. Brock Jr. is responsible for the Parkers when he put on the black suit in the plane, and Kurt... isn't.

And I'm pretty sure they won't make Billy Connors Venom, although I wouldn't be surprised.

wait are we talking about the same Ultimate Peter who

Ultimate Spider-Man##78-79 where Peter told his math teacher in front of the class that he could teach the class himself after being told to sit down before cutting the class(he didn't even apologized or suffer much from that move), or he called his uncle and aunt wimpy losers after breaking Flash's wrist(yes he apologized for it but honestly it was more extreme than the two "arguments/fights" that happened between Peter and Uncle Ben and Aunt May in the two movies despite the claims that Peter telling his aunt May to go to sleep or even the scene where Peter stormed out of the house when Uncle Ben brought up Peter's dad, both of which were adaptions of scenes in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic), among three other arguments ranging from Peter's failing his classes they had which eventually leads to Peter running away from home staying at Kong's house where Uncle Ben comes to take him home and then eventually dies, or the fight between Aunt May and Peter in Ultimate Spider-Man#21 which lead to Peter being grounded(that resembles the argument that Andrew Peter and Sally Field Aunt May had in the first movie despite there being less dialogue between the two in the movie) they have or in Ultimate Spider-Man#48 where Peter was fed up with the justice system criticized the teacher before being suspended from school and calling JJJ out for firing him for asking him a question among other examples.

It's isn't Unfair or inaccurate to say Ultimate Peter Parker or even 616 Peter(when he was a teenager to early college era) are similar in personality and character traits to Andrew Garfield Peter except for a few minor differences here and there(yes being 17 years old in the movie and 15 but after having over 100 where he kept on going back and forth between 15 and 16 years old I really didn't mind or care about age).

Harry in Amazing Spider-Man seems similar to Ultimate Harry in the Legacy and Hobgoblin arc due to Harry returning in Peter's life and meeting up with Peter's friends, and how events in his life slowly unravelled as well as Ultimate Eddie Brock jr.(Peter's long lost best friend who he reunites with after years, fathers worked together, Best friend feels like Peter betrayed him and then experiments on himself with the experiment their fathers were working on turning himself into a monstrosity). Ultimate Harry didn't take a serum because he wanted powers. He only became the Hobgoblin because he was there at the accident that turned Norman to Green Goblin and Doctor Octavius to Doctor Octopus, he simply forgot what the accident did to him until the events of Hobgoblin arc caused him to remember and as a result transform into the monster. unless you are talking about Ultimate Norman who wanted to recreate the super soldier serum and see if he could duplicate to accident that turned Peter into Spider-Man with himself under different circumstances

Emma Stone Gwen seemed like a combination of Ultimate MJ and different versions of Gwen Stacy(616, Spectacular Spider-Man, etc ).

I don't where I start to read the posts here.
Just add your view on how close each live action Peter of the recent two is to the comic version and call it a day
Saves you the headache of reading all the posts

Raimi version -
Tobey really portrayed a down on his luck Parker well, but other than that he was a little overly geeky for the character...even for the 60s comics. It seemed like you were watched a pre-Amazing Fantasy #15, or a Clark Kent version of the character run around in the outfit never breaking out of his shell. A bit too quiet and reserved for Peter Parker imo.

Webb version -
A little bit too figity and high strung for classic 616 Peter. However, his overall demeaner is much better. Not too geeky, not overly confident, funny/wise cracking, showed frustration well when he needed to. When he threw stuff around in his room it reminded me a lot of 90s comic book Peter in his brooding period, which I don't mind. I think he is very much in line with Ulimate Peter Parker. But again, the way he says his lines is a little bit more Karate Kid and less classic 616 Peter.

Neither have nailed it, but Webbs is much better.

I am impressed SpiderKnight. People usually only give hints when they lie about reading something. You provided a grocery list of reasons why you haven't read USM.

Gotta agree on that.

Martin Sheen wasn't Ultimate in the slightest. 616 through and through.

Especially visually.
2010314-benjamin_parker__earth_616__0001.jpg

I concur. Uncle Ben and Gwen are the only two characters that felt like their comic book counterparts.

Not sure about aunt May, with how young she is and all.

Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben, however; eerily similar.

I concur. Uncle Ben and Gwen are the only two characters that felt like their comic book counterparts.

Gwen was changed a lot in the movie from her comic book counterpart (she was given a solid personality and changed for the better). The mere fact that she knew Peter's secret in the movie but never knew that in the comics changed a lot. It made take on more of an MJ role than a Gwen. I think they screwed it up for MJ because they took a lot about was unique about her and Peter's relationship and gave it to Gwen for the sake of making her character better. Now MJ isn't going to stand out as much.

Martin sheen did a good job of uncle Ben, it felt like abit more grounded approach with layers that probably didn't need to be there but were very well acted and gave a bigger insight into their relationship

Aunt may... I don't think she is to young, problem with the Raimi films for me is that she become the wise old lady and I think aunt may suits being more a mature mother figure who may over worry about Peter then a grandmother, it's something I felt was missing from the raimi films, and yeah I know people will say but she ain't his mother but technically she is all the family he has and that would be a lot of responsibility on her

Last edited:
Not sure about aunt May, with how young she is and all.

Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben, however; eerily similar.

Yeah Field did a good job but she never felt like Aunt May. Not visually or even character wise.

Gwen was changed a lot in the movie from her comic book counterpart (she was given a solid personality and changed for the better). The mere fact that she knew Peter's secret in the movie but never knew that in the comics changed a lot. It made take on more of an MJ role than a Gwen. I think they screwed it up for MJ because they took a lot about was unique about her and Peter's relationship and gave it to Gwen for the sake of making her character better. Now MJ isn't going to stand out as much.

The only difference major difference between Gwen in this movie and the comics is she learned Peter's secret. That didn't radically alter her character as a whole. Hence why I said she and Uncle Ben felt the most like their comic book counterparts. The core essence of their relationship was there, which is probably why it's the only great thing in these movies.

In the comics they had MJ reveal that she knew for years that Peter was Spider-Man. Which I thought was a bit of a weak cop out. But I do agree that Gwen knowing Peter's identity has kind of robbed MJ of ground that was hers in the comic. But then wasting characters is a specialty in this franchise.

Yeah Field did a good job but she never felt like Aunt May. Not visually or even character wise.

The only difference major difference between Gwen in this movie and the comics is she learned Peter's secret. That didn't radically alter her character as a whole. Hence why I said she and Uncle Ben felt the most like their comic book counterparts. The core essence of their relationship was there, which is probably why it's the only great thing in these movies.

In the comics they had MJ reveal that she knew for years that Peter was Spider-Man. Which I thought was a bit of a weak cop out. But I do agree that Gwen knowing Peter's identity has kind of robbed MJ of ground that was hers in the comic. But then wasting characters is a specialty in this franchise.

Not only that, but Gwen's personality was changed around a bit in the comic to try to bring her into the spotlight over MJ as the fans were finding MJ to be more interesting. In the movie, she was consistently portrayed as a strong woman. In the comics she got upset easily and cried a lot.

That's another thing, MJ should have been Gwen's friend long before she died. That was a key part into bringing Peter and MJ closer together. Now MJ is more like an afterthought. That is one problem I have with the direction of TASM franchise. Seems like they rushed into things without thinking through the consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"