How would you do it! - DC Edition - ©Anubis

Thinking back, I feel like it would have been really cool to have had a Lex Luthor solo series during the period where he was President of the United States. Imagine it, a look at the day to day goings on of the Luthor White House, negotiating deals with congress, dealing with crises in the Situation Room, negotiating with foreign heads of state. Throughout all of this, Lex puts on the front of a compassionate, moderate leader. He comforts the nation in times of crisis, he makes sure all of the work he does out in the open is appealing to the general public. He works had and with a strong code of ethics. He garners the respect of his staff and the love of the American people. But behind the scenes he's a cold machiavellian genius. He engages in elaborate plots, he does very dirty and drastic things completely in secret, and he manipulates everyone to further his goals. Not the standard goal of greater American power, but his own brilliant and completely mad vision for a better world. Think "The West Wing" meets Mark Waid's "Empire," or maybe "Dexter" on the scale of international politics. In the hands of someone like Mark Waid, that could have been a pretty awesome book.

Last edited:
Since this is apparently back up allow me to give my idea. Aside from an ongoing SHAZAM! comic there is one thing I would love to write for DC...

A revamped Riddler origin.

It's the New 52, he's only been seen in Death of the Family and that was a cameo at best. I know there's rumors that Snyder would be doing a Riddler story, possibly in Zero Year, but for me that's not what I want.

I see a 5 part mini-series that really fleshes out the character. Kind of like that mini-series Penguin: Pain and Prejudice. IGN loved that series and admitted that after it they knew that Penguin was a serious Batman villain. I want that kind of treatment for the Riddler.

So here's how I see it playing out:

A young Edward Nygma, already a straight A student in high school and college and a kid who thirsts for knowledge seeks a purpose in his life. School bores him and he doesn't know what he's going to do afterwards. Then one day a career fair comes to his school and he meets a young Lieutenant Jim Gordon. He talks about what it's like being a cop for the GCPD. The others ask driving the cop car, using a gun, and the usual boring stuff but Nygma asks what's the hardest part of being a cop. Gordon laughs and says:

"Staying sharp and smart."

Nygma is confused by the response, Gordon sees this and says:

"In my world the criminals evolve and get smarter all the time. New tricks, new traps, new ways to evade and new ways to kill. To be a cop, a good cop, you have to have good instincts and you have to be smarter than them, outthink them, you must never stop learning. Else you'll die."

Inspired by his words Nygma sets his sights on a new goal, becoming cop.

After passing school the top of his class Edward immediately signs up for the Police Academy where, just like in school, he flies by everyone else and is actually given the opportunity to go straight to detective for the GCPD.

Wanting to show he's smarter than every criminal in Gotham he dives into case after case and solves them all. Active cases, cold cases, nothing is out of his reach and impresses many with his ability to see what they couldn't. In less than a year he's promoted to the MCU now headed up by Commissioner Gordon. In this version we actually see Nygma have respect and an appreciation for Gordon, after all it was him who inspired him to become a cop in the first place.

Now in MCU he tackles the big crimes and in Gotham there is no bigger fish to catch than the Falcone Family. These mobsters have been terrorizing the town for decades and MCU has been tasked with finally bringing them down. Nygma sees an opportunity. If he can take them down after so many have failed he could secure his spot for Commissioner one day after Gordon is gone.

He dives into the files, pulls leads, talks to informants, but nothing comes up. He doesn't quit though and for months he follows any small clue that might lead to a takedown of the family. Finally one day he gets what he was looking for. He cracks a code that reveals that the head of the Falcone Family will be buying and illegal arms shipment at the docks tonight. He tells the Commissioner and Gordon is very impressed.

"You've done good Edward." he tells him and Nygma lights up, "Go prep everyone, this ends tonight."

Edward takes lead of the MCU and prepares for the takedown. All ready they storm the docks....but something is wrong. All the bosses are tied up, the henchman are all knocked out, and illegal arms are scattered about.

Nygma is confused, what happened? As he scans the crime-scene he gets his answer: A batarang. Batman was there, he took them down, he STOLE his collar.

Nygma confronts Gordon and asks him how the Batman knew about the bust tonight, Gordon replied that he told Batman to assist but he apparently didn't want to wait for backup. Nygma is shocked, he told the Batman? It was because of them that he lost the biggest case of his career?

Nygma snaps and punches Gordon hard and starts yelling about what he did. The other officers pull them apart and Gordon suspends him so he can cool off and clear him head.

Furious still Nygma decides to walk home where on the way he's surrounded by a bunch of muggers. They try to rob him but Nygma beats them, then beats them down. In his state of rage he picks up a pipe and starts beating them with it. When done the pipe is bent and resembles a "?".

He starts to laugh: "That's a good question, how are you supposed to be smart? Criminals are supposed to be the smartest people......the smartest....people?"

The revelation hits him, he got the idea backwards. The trick to being the smartest guy isn't being smarter than the ones you're catching, it's being smart enough to outwit the guy trying to catch you.

His new life purpose found Nygma sets out to prove he is smarter than both Gordon and Batman. He dons the personality "The Riddler" and sends a message to them both about a game they're going to play.

The rules are simple, every round has a riddle and a time limit, if they solve it in time they can save the person, if they don't the person dies. And to show how deadly serious he is he informs them that he has hired renown assassin Deadshot to make the kills when time runs out.

Batman and Gordon team up to stop Riddler and play his game to save the lives of the citizens of Gotham. In the end after many riddles and many close calls Batman has an epic duel with Deadshot and Gordon finds Riddler.

As Batman defeats Deadshot we find Gordon trying to reason with Nygma.

"Why'd you do this Edward?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't play games! You're under arrest for murder!"

"Who'd I kill?"

"......you hired Deadshot to kill innocent people!"

"Did I? Prove it."

Gordon is stunned by this, what was his game? Riddler kindly responds.

"You don't get it do you? Not surprising. You see you've been so focused on trying to take me down and saving those lives you forgot to get evidence on me. Deadshot tried to kill them all. I just gave you hints on who he was going to kill. So in a way...I helped you stop a murderer. That's not a crime."

"We'll see what the law has to say about that."

"Ok. See you in court."

With that Gordon arrests Nygma and we cut to a courtroom where he stands trial. The jury is about to read the verdict.

"We find the defendant.....not guilty."

The courtroom erupts in anger while Nygma simply smiles. He exits the courtroom surrounded by cameras and media but he doesn't answer any of them at first. As he is about to enter a car one reporter asks: "Mr. Nygma, what are you going to do now?"

He stops and is about to answer when looks up and apparently sees something. He smiles and says to the reporter: "I'm going to take time off and then I've got to get back to my work. After all.....I've got unfinished business to attend to."

Nygma gets in the car and pulls away, we pan up to the courthouse where we see Batman looming on the rooftop, clearly unhappy with what had happened.

*credits*

And with this story we establish why Riddler is a deadly foe for Batman. He's just as smart as he is and is willing to go to any lengths to prove it. And with his victory against Gordon he now sets his sights against Batman.

This story actually inspired two other Riddler stories I call "The Riddles That Bind." and "The Bet." If you guys like this one I'll happily tell you these two stories as well.

I thank you for reading.

Thinking back, I feel like it would have been really cool to have had a Lex Luthor solo series during the period where he was President of the United States. Imagine it, a look at the day to day goings on of the Luthor White House, negotiating deals with congress, dealing with crises in the Situation Room, negotiating with foreign heads of state. Throughout all of this, Lex puts on the front of a compassionate, moderate leader. He comforts the nation in times of crisis, he makes sure all of the work he does out in the open is appealing to the general public. He works had and with a strong code of ethics. He garners the respect of his staff and the love of the American people. But behind the scenes he's a cold machiavellian genius. He engages in elaborate plots, he does very dirty and drastic things completely in secret, and he manipulates everyone to further his goals. Not the standard goal of greater American power, but his own brilliant and completely mad vision for a better world. Think "The West Wing" meets Mark Waid's "Empire," or maybe "Dexter" on the scale of international politics. In the hands of someone like Mark Waid, that could have been a pretty awesome book.

God that woulda been ****. :awesome:

I'm imagining Lex coming back to the White House after giving the state of the union, smiling and shaking people's hands and telling jokes and putting up the front of being this Jimmy Carter-esque likable moderate politician, and then he goes down to the situation room to watch a live feed of some government scientists in some underground bunker somewhere torturing alien refugees for information. That would be the general tone of the series.

All in all, I think more DC comics super villains should get their own solo series. A political drama starring Lex Luthor. A surreal road trip story in the tone of Naked Lunch starring The Joker. A "Reservoir Dogs meets Ocean's 11" style heist series starring The Rogues. All such things would be, as Anubis would say, ****.

In ancient days, we Amazons were a proud and mighty nation. Our small but fierce empire lasted from the time of the Greek swine, until the Roman barbarians. However, change must always come, even to those of use who are timeless.

As the Roman empire waned in it's twilight years, they had shifted worship from the gods of Olympus to a new figure, one bearing a cross. We Amazons remained loyal to the old gods and the old ways, and that was what saved us. Juno came to our last queen, Hippolyta, and told her of an enemy coming from the east. At first, Hipolyta insisted we would turn the enemy way, but Juno was insistant. This enemy, she told Hipolyta was not one even the Roman empire could bat away. No, this was barely a man. She told us of this Savage king who would sack our cities and Vandalize our temples. She told us that he was immortal, and not even our most experienced warriors would be able to stand against him.

However, the goddesses would not forsake us. They told us of a mystical paradise island they had created, where we Amazons would live forever as immortal warriors to serve the gods should they ever need us. Juno Moneta, together with Ceres, and Diana, and Venus crafted this world and called it Themiscyra, after our Ancient capitol. We began the evacuation, but the Goddesses had been forced to leave all of this until too late, and the army of the Savage king began to pour in. The elder warriors all surged forward into combat, urging the younger warriors through the magical gateway to our new island strong hold. Our queen saw as she was pushed through by her sisters acting as a rear guard the Savage king.

On the island, as promised, we became immortal, or at least, we did not age past just reaching maturity. No problems came month after month, year after year, though we maintained our martial readiness. However, the Queen was now the elder stateswoman, by a large margin, the elder soldiers having given their lives to preserve the younger generations. There is no doubt the Queen would have as well, had her guard not acted as prudently as they did.

However, our Queen being older than the other girls meant she had been through certain biological changes that they had not. in short, she yearned for a daughter. one of her own to raise and teach and love. She prayed day in and day out to the gods, and made sacrifice of her most precious possessions. Finally the gods granted her wish. Using the clay that Jupiter had used to form Pandora.

Hipolyta formed from the clay the daughter she dreamed of, and the goddesses, in their charity, breathed life into the babe, but gave a prophesy at the time. This child, would some day end the exile of the Amazons, and bring them face to face with that Savage king they had so narrowly escaped and lost so many of their sisters too

Days turned to years, which turned to centuries. The young girl, who they named for the goddess of the hunt, grew to maturity like the other girls, however unlike the others, I had never known the outside world, the world of men. Part of me burned with curiosity for them. and as the world changed around us, a new breed of man arising, I could not contain my curiosity any longer. I stole the sacred armor and manacles, and struck out for Man's world in one of the ships we used to practice naval battles. On my journey I was visted by by Juno, guided by Salina. They warned me that if I went to Man's world, I would never be like the women there, nor would I ever be the Amazon my mother always wished for me to be. I would be forever different. However if I had the courage to make the journey, they would see me safely across the seas.

The main villain would be, as I rather hamfistedly hinted, Vandal Savage. He thinks Diana looks like her mother. He would be rather the fiendish and coldly "logical" sexist, stating in a reasonable tone that there would always be places where men were superior. in the modern world he owns a Private Security firm (A private army) and leads them into global hotspots to try and engineer the world to suit his barbaric ideals of justice.

black magic wolf, that is one of the best fanfictions ive ever read! you need to be put to work writing for dc immediately, i see great potential. feel free to pm me your other riddler stories and even some of your shazam ideas :)

Thank you Coyote, I love the character of the Riddler and want him to be recognized as the true epic villain that he is. Unfortunately Zero Year most likely will cancel out my idea, but hey that's what movies are for right?

I'll write up my other ideas soon, but if you want to take a look at my idea for a SHAZAM! tv show in the vein of Arrow, click here.

Oh and if you meet and or know anyone from DC let me talk to them! I would love to work for them.

The Flash

Barry Allen is everybody's buddy, sometimes to his fault. He's chipper and up beat, especially for a forensic technician. He is always happy to pick up a friends slack, or do someone a favor, however he never rushes his work. All of this gives him a reputation of the slowest man in the Central City police department. His long time girlfriend Iris has come to terms with him never being on time for a date, even to the point where she has started telling him their reservations are for half an hour to an hour prior to when they really are.

All of this changes one fateful night when Allen is working late. As he is working in the lab an strange explosion occurs outside that topples every chemical in the room on him. Between the energy for the bizarre explosion (Which Allen at first mistakes for lightening) and the chemicals Barry Allen is fundamentally altered forever. He finds himself reaching incredible speeds. capable of reacting to things far to fast. And his skin is... okay, he's not invulnerable, or super strong, but fast has to count for something, right?

Barry creates a suit to cut down on wind resistance and along the way gives it a few touches, inspired by the lightening bolt that gave him his powers. He even takes up the name of an old central city urban legend, the Flash. how he uses his powers isn't even a question, he works with the police. Helping people is just the right thing, and he enjoys being able to get more into his day, including more time with Iris.

But not everything can stay wonderful for long. There are new and strange weapons showing up on the street in the hands of exactly the wrong people. a gang calling themselves "The Rogues" are using super-weapons that should not exist; Ice guns, tracking boomerangs with explosives, heat guns, air shoes, and they all attack seperately. Is Flash fast enough to keep up with them? Can he figure out where these weapons are coming from? He'll have to run like he's never run before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"