Justice League How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

cleverusername8

Sidekick
Reaction score
As the roles of Green Lantern and Flash. I realize that this is how it was in the cartoon which is part of the appeal (general audience members may remember them from seeing the show).

Plus, it'd probably be a good idea to distance audiences from hal jordan for a while after the 2011 flop. Then there is the whole actor diversity thing (aside from Martian Manhunter who should definitely appear in the movie).

I think Wally's personality would be greatly suited for this kind of movie. Even if they make the movie dark and serious they'll need some level of comic relief (just subtle comic relief). Although Barry's backstory is probably better suited for a standalone film, they could make Wally a late-teens runaway (haha get it?) who stays with his aunt ( for the connection to barry, the lab, and ultimately his powers). He'd be the youngest member and therefore a big of an overconfident loose cannon. I think that'd make a great dynamic with the rest of the team (who would be kinda condescending to him).

Plus i loved the whole wally comedy with john as the straight man thing in the cartoon.

EDITED to add a poll. About time right? lol

Last edited:
Why do people keep saying Wally is comic relief? I do wish they'd stop that, he's no more comical than his predecessor.

They shouldn't use John because he's a boring-ass mopey character.

Why do people keep saying Wally is comic relief? I do wish they'd stop that, he's no more comical than his predecessor.

They shouldn't use John because he's a boring-ass mopey character.

Maybe because Wally has played the role of comic relief in the past?

I disagree with you on John as well.

Maybe because Wally has played the role of comic relief in the past?

The JLU Flash had Barry's origin and life, Wally's name and Bart's personality. The character everyone seems to want is Bart, not Wally.

I disagree with you on John as well.

He's spent years moping over Xanshi and it just got ridiculously boring, hell Hal got over his Parallax guilt faster.

The thing with John Stewart, I wouldnt mind seeing him at any point, cause he can be there at the same time as Hal Jordan.

Wally West however......I dont want to see him right away as The Flash, introduce Barry, have him established as The Flash, bring in Wally as Kid Flash and then yes....KILL off Barry and make Wally take on the role of Flash.

The JLU Flash had Barry's origin and life, Wally's name and Bart's personality. The character everyone seems to want is Bart, not Wally.

Wally's been comic relief in the Justice League comic a few times, not just the show.

And Bart's terrible. :o

He's spent years moping over Xanshi and it just got ridiculously boring, hell Hal got over his Parallax guilt faster.

That's because Hal's a subhuman schmuck of the highest caliber.

I'd be freaking ecstatic if they use Wally over Barry. I think Wally is a much better character and if they do spin off a Flash movie that he's the better choice.

As for John Stewart, I wouldnt mind at all. But about the spin offs. Im really skeptical of John carrying his own film

Wally's been comic relief in the Justice League comic a few times, not just the show.

Never as much as Kyle or Hal were/are.

And Bart's terrible. :o

I'm fairly indifferent to Bart. He works in Titans because he is the lighthearted character, after the Robins got all serious.

That's because Hal's a subhuman schmuck of the highest caliber.

:argh:

It's weird, i want Barry Allen and not Wally West, because i KNOW theyll make him a 100 percent goof and thats it. Which is what they did with Ryan Reynolds as Hal so he can be the Tony Stark of the group.

But i like John Stewart too. So it's a hard choice.

Stewarts not mopey. Hes just a serious cat. Barry Allen can still have jokes, but be serious when needed. And Stewart can be mr discipline. The problem is that we all enjoy the Hal Jordan-Barry Allen thing. And theyre the originals for JL.

Also between Bruce Wayne, Superman and possibly Aquamans personality, i think Stewart would be too much. There needs to be a balance, even if some of us want that gritty direction. So i dunno....i say keep Hal for JL only, and in 10 years when its all said and done....launch Green Lantern movies with John Stewart.

But to answer ur question, i would be OK with it yeah. I like both combinations. But if ur doing a live-action JLA finally, id like to see the main members of the original team. Leave a couple of names for the sequel.

But to answer ur question, i would be OK with it yeah. I like both combinations. But if ur doing a live-action JLA finally, id like to see the main members of the original team. Leave a couple of names for the sequel.

I agree that it's probably better from a comic reader's perspective to stick to the original group for the first movie but I'm writing this from the perspective of a GA member (I've only read the new 52 JL and seen the cartoon. All 5 seasons) plus i'm not sure how well people who don't follow DC will react to Aquaman in a serious-esque movie XD

For the sequel i think they should put in new characters instead of new versions of the existing ones. Whoever they choose at the start should remain for all of the JL movies they'll make.

Wally West doesn't exist in the New 52.

In any case, I don't think John should be used at all. One of my favourite things about the team are the dynamics. Wally and John were never close, not like Hal and Barry or Kyle and Wally.

I'd like it, provided its DCAU John and not "I love collateral damage" John.

I'm not invested in those characters to mind and never got the fuss during STAS, JL and JLU.

Why isn't anyone suggesting Kyle?

You read my mind.

Kyle and Wally, yes. John and Wally, no.

Its a deal breaker for me. I would not watch the movie without Hal and Barry.
Its lame and stupid to bench two of their most popular characters for 2nd stringers.

John Stewart is fine

Wally West is a no no for me. I want Barry Allen. A badass, yet charming Barry Allen

john stewart is not as compelling as hal

hal has a strong story arc of overcoming fear

has a love interest turned villain and is a more charismatic character his character is better suited for film

john stewart is not as compelling as hal

hal has a strong story arc of overcoming fear

has a love interest turned villain and is a more charismatic character his character is better suited for film

Its true.
John Stewart has nothing going on for him. He is a boring character. Anyone who disagree should substantiate that with reasons.
People who want John Stewart as GL just like him because of the animated series. Wehn in fact he does not have any prominent relationships or suppirting cast. He has not been a major part of any story line for the past ten years. He is a very stern and serious character. That is the way he is in the comics and even JLU.
Hal has Carol Ferris, Abin Sur, Sinestro, Hector Hammond, Arisia, Parallax all tied to him. Hal has been a prominent role in all the DC animated movies like crisis on two earth and doom and New Frontier. Hal was a key figure in Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Sinestro Corp War, War of the Green Lantern.
Hal jordan is the lead character in Green Lantern the animated series. Hal was also the lead character in First Flight and Emerald Knights.

Even Kyle have a bigger role in DCU than John. Kyle is leading a team now, was linked to Jade, Soranik Natu and Sinestro.

John Stewart had his whole Xanshi saga which no one cared for. killed a planet and another green lantern. He had a weird relationship with this lantern and not much supporting characters or love interest.
John Stewart also cant have a spin off into his own movie because he would have nothing to help him build the movie. Writers can merge the two characters together but its not being true to fans and will only piss off more people.

Anyone who suggest John should give more reasons than racial diversity and that he was on JLU. Because Hal still has the most number of mainstream appearances.

You cant use Wally before Barry. Wally wouldn't have powers if it wasn't for him being in Barrys lab.

Barry is Flash in the comics right now. Ditto with Hal.

John is best teamed up with Guy IMO. They play off each other really well.

I think they should do Hal and Barry.

I wanna see Stewart on screen eventually but everybodys right who say it should be Hal and Barry.

If they go with Wally over Barry for any reason i think i would just stare at my screen for about an hour with a palm over my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"