Wally West debuts in the New 52

I'm very curious how the TV show may approach Wally differently than the New 52. If they stick with some version of his classical characterization while he just happens to be black, then this going to be a case of the writers dropping the ball over editorial mandates.
That's the only thing that matters, honestly. Whether Wally is black or white is irrelevant. Whether he's a good or bad character is what really matters, and the New 52 version is disappointing because he's a bunch of tiresome stereotypes cobbled together under Wally's name.

Now if he's just a cool kid who loves him some Flash then finds out the dude banging his aunt is the Flash them miraculously gets Flash powers and he's awesome about it and not all broody and s**t, then that's cool.

So could someone break down this new characterisation of Wally? I hear he hates the Flash or some nonsense?

He hates the Flash because he admires his uncle Daniel, who's the Reverse Flash. He comes from a broken home (dad abandoned the family, mom went missing), and the first time we see him in the present, Barry busts him for spray-painting graffiti on a wall. We later find out Iris is his aunt, and she thinks he's a good kid who just needs a strong paternal figure (no real explanation as to why it needs to be a man, as opposed to his successful, intelligent, and well adjusted aunt) to straighten him out.

So, like I said: a mass of stereotypes.

So could someone break down this new characterisation of Wally? I hear he hates the Flash or some nonsense?

1.broken home his dad walked out on him .
2.he's angry at the world.
3. Has a criminal record .
4. busted tagging a building .
5.has a white guy/cop feel bad and wants to help him .
6.uses bad slang words that nobody's use in 30 years just because some white guy thinks black teens talk like that .
7.and last but not least he's wearing a hoodie.

The Flash writers and artists are seriously patting themselves on the back about it, so is Didio. They think they've accomplished the equivalent of curing cancer apparently.

So basically they made Wally angsty, like every other superhero

Gee, thanks guys

The Flash writers and artists are seriously patting themselves on the back about it, so is Didio. They think they've accomplished the equivalent of curing cancer apparently.

That's because DiDio & his yes men are all idiots.

He hates the Flash because he admires his uncle Daniel, who's the Reverse Flash. He comes from a broken home (dad abandoned the family, mom went missing), and the first time we see him in the present, Barry busts him for spray-painting graffiti on a wall. We later find out Iris is his aunt, and she thinks he's a good kid who just needs a strong paternal figure (no real explanation as to why it needs to be a man, as opposed to his successful, intelligent, and well adjusted aunt) to straighten him out.

So, like I said: a mass of stereotypes.

When was the last time a strong woman ever made a difference in any persons life? Ever? C'mon Corp, we're reading comics here, not fairytales.

Wow... that is... terrible. I'd prefer if Wally just remained retconned into non-existence.

Is it really surprising that the New 52 has ruined another great character?

Is it really surprising that the New 52 has ruined another great character?

It isn't, just sucks that my two favorites (Wally and Tim Drake) got it the worse. Ted Kord looks to be the next one they'll screw up.

Besides the fact that he was never a "Robin"? and immediately took on the identity of Red Robin?

It is already bad enough that Wally is now younger than everyone that he initially appeared with, he was a 1st generation sidekick and now all his original buddies are either grown ups or not even around anymore.

It isn't, just sucks that my two favorites (Wally and Tim Drake) got it the worse. Ted Kord looks to be the next one they'll screw up.
I'd say Captain Marvel and all of the J.S.A. characters rank up there with the worst of the worst also.

what happened to Tim Drake
They took his original origin--being clever and lucky enough to piece together who Nightwing and, by extension, Batman are--and twisted it to the point that he's a total f***ing Mary Sue now. He's a genius with off-the-charts brainpower, plus he's an Olympic-level gymnast at like 15. Also, where the original Tim had to fight for his place at Batman's side because he came around in the wake of Jason's death, Bruce specifically seeks Tim out in the New 52 because, as mentioned, he's a giant Mary Sue who can do things better than 99% of the world's population before he's even out of high school. He's basically a caricature of his former self.

Besides the fact that he was never a "Robin"? and immediately took on the identity of Red Robin?

It is already bad enough that Wally is now younger than everyone that he initially appeared with, he was a 1st generation sidekick and now all his original buddies are either grown ups or not even around anymore.

They took his original origin--being clever and lucky enough to piece together who Nightwing and, by extension, Batman are--and twisted it to the point that he's a total f***ing Mary Sue now. He's a genius with off-the-charts brainpower, plus he's an Olympic-level gymnast at like 15. Also, where the original Tim had to fight for his place at Batman's side because he came around in the wake of Jason's death, Bruce specifically seeks Tim out in the New 52 because, as mentioned, he's a giant Mary Sue who can do things better than 99% of the world's population before he's even out of high school. He's basically a caricature of his former self.

DRYOv_zps4feb2be7.gif

1.broken home his dad walked out on him .
2.he's angry at the world.
3. Has a criminal record .
4. busted tagging a building .
5.has a white guy/cop feel bad and wants to help him .
6.uses bad slang words that nobody's use in 30 years just because some white guy thinks black teens talk like that .
7.and last but not least he's wearing a hoodie.

No. 4 aside you could be talking about Roy from Arrow.

Wait, wait, wait.....

I'm as upset by this new Wally as the bext guy, but how is wearig a hoodie a sign of a bad character. It's just a jumper.

And needs a nice white guy to show him how to be a man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"