Justice League How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

I can't beleive people are saying no to john stewart because he's boring or has nothing going on for him. Imagine people saying bane would be a stupid villain due to the fact he's been pretty crap in most of his comic appearances.

Don't let the limits of what comic writers can do with certain characters affect how they can be portrayed on film.

The only reason people are suggesting John Stewart in the first placd is because they think Hal Jordan is soured. It doesn't matter what Earthling the GL is it's GL that's soured in the public eye. Which is, IMO, a dubious notion in the first place considered how comparatively few people actually saw that film.

Guy Gardner, while an ass, would have way more potential in a team film than John. And I like John, especially the DCAU version... but I don't think he's the way to go.

I can't beleive people are saying no to john stewart because he's boring or has nothing going on for him. Imagine people saying bane would be a stupid villain due to the fact he's been pretty crap in most of his comic appearances.

Don't let the limits of what comic writers can do with certain characters affect how they can be portrayed on film.

Uhm no.
Bane is one of those villains that is extremely popular.
He broke batman's back and that is something that no one has done before.
Bane is also part of the beloved Secret Six comics that is still loved dearly.

Tell me, what do you know about John Stewart and who are his arch nemesis and supporting cast and love interest?
What are his major storylines?
Also tell me what do you know about his personality?

Then compare that to Hal Jordan.

The only reason people are suggesting John Stewart in the first placd is because they think Hal Jordan is soured.

Actually, I advocate for Stewart for two reasons:

1. I hate Hal Jordan. Not movie Hal Jordan, I hate him as he has existed in the comics since he came back to life. :word:

2. John Stewart has ( marginally ) more public exposure. Prior to the GL movie, he had a *huge* amount of public exposure, and the movie did not do Hal any favors ( if the movie were well liked, it would kick Hal to more public exposure easily, but at this point, you *don't* want people thinking of the movie in future adaptations ).

Uhm no.

Tell me, what do you know about John Stewart and who are his arch nemesis and supporting cast and love interest?

Bane really wasn't well-known outside of our crowd before TDKR came out. I remember having to explain who Bane was and what he could do to my friends, co-workers, and family. Some were even confused because they were expecting the B&R version of Bane.

Actually, I advocate for Stewart for two reasons:

1. I hate Hal Jordan. Not movie Hal Jordan, I hate him as he has existed in the comics since he came back to life. :word:

That's fine, you just prefer John. I can't personally understand why, but there it is.

2. John Stewart has ( marginally ) more public exposure. Prior to the GL movie, he had a *huge* amount of public exposure, and the movie did not do Hal any favors ( if the movie were well liked, it would kick Hal to more public exposure easily, but at this point, you *don't* want people thinking of the movie in future adaptations ).

I wouldn't say so. John hasn't appeared in any extraneous media other than the comics since JLU, Hal on the other hand has appeared in: Green Lantern: First Flight, Green Lantern: Emerald Knight, justice League: Crisis On Two Earths, Justice League: Doom, The Batman, Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, Lego Batman 2, Green Lantern (2011) and tie ins.

Not to mention that 4 years minimum will have passed since Green Lantern flopped. Much like Hulk (purely gross terms not profit) and Avengers.

I wouldn't say John Stewart is entirely boring, and the potential exists to make him an interesting character, but he is markedly less interesting than the other main Green Lantern characters.

The only time I've really found him fascinating was during MOSAIC.

Not to mention that 4 years minimum will have passed since Green Lantern flopped. Much like Hulk (purely gross terms not profit) and Avengers.

But the reason Hulk was such a hit in the Avengers regardless of his previous movies is that he was outstandingly unique from all of the other characters and he stole the show every opportunity.

Now I know Hal could easily be a show-stealing flash too but he doesn't have the same charm of a bulging yet lovable rage monster. Hulk's antics made him kinda like the Avengers' dog and he visually stood out from the other team members and the environment as well. People see the Green Lantern cutting up all the time and that'll only lower their opinion of the character if the rest of the team (save for Flash if they make him comic relief too) seriously tries to get things done.

Bane really wasn't well-known outside of our crowd before TDKR came out. I remember having to explain who Bane was and what he could do to my friends, co-workers, and family. Some were even confused because they were expecting the B&R version of Bane.

He wasnt that well known, sure. But people still knew him and thats not the point. The point is he is a major character in batman mythos and is a great character as evident in knightfall and secret six. That is why he deserves to be on screen. Besides, Bane still appeared on big screen before and had tons of exposure to the public.

But the reason Hulk was such a hit in the Avengers regardless of his previous movies is that he was outstandingly unique from all of the other characters and he stole the show every opportunity.

Now I know Hal could easily be a show-stealing flash too but he doesn't have the same charm of a bulging yet lovable rage monster. Hulk's antics made him kinda like the Avengers' dog and he visually stood out from the other team members and the environment as well. People see the Green Lantern cutting up all the time and that'll only lower their opinion of the character if the rest of the team (save for Flash if they make him comic relief too) seriously tries to get things done.

This sounds biased as *****. You see lovable, I see ugly.

Even Guy Gardner is a better character that could add more to the film with his tough exterior and comedic side.
Kyle would fit the sensitive new age guy version that could swoon over the girls with his empathy and sensitivity.
I just think John has been plagued with uninspiring writing and until now nobody could give a reason why John deserves to be in the film other than he has more exposure (which is false) and for diversity (which they could uae Cyborg)

Uhm no.

What did the general audience know about hal jordan before? If anything JS was more well known among the public than hal jordan before the movie came out. I remember some people being confused why green lantern wasn't black in the movie.

Were talking about movies that are being made for the public to consume not just purely comic fans and yes for bane for about 80% of the public only knew him from b&r if they knew him at all.

I am not invested in either GL, but I would like to see them use John. I know folks don't like diversity for diversity sake. I don't really like it either, but I think a movie with 7 white superheroes might....not be a good call in this day an age.

edit...

Well, I did forget Jonn...but I am assuming he's going to be green in the movie, so he doesn't really count..lol

Last edited:
I would prefer that they just keep Hal Jordan since his character has already been established. I think it would just confuse people if they changed him from a white guy to a black guy with no explanation as to why. I don't want a Hal Jordan/John Stewart explanation or side story to take up time out of the movie.

Plus J.Stewart is super boring. Hal Jordan is infinitely more interesting than John. Just his interactions with the other League members is entertaining. Like how Hal teases Batman in the New 52

If they were to use John instead of Hal, I think the change would be easy to explain since the GL movie already established there are a whole lot of GLs. Hal would just be the first human. Yet, maybe he's away on a mission and John is called in.

I am not invested in either GL, but I would like to see them use John. I know folks don't like diversity for diversity sake. I don't really like it either, but I think a movie with 7 white superheroes might....not be a good call in this day an age.

edit...

Well, I did forget Jonn...but I am assuming he's going to be green in the movie, so he doesn't really count..lol

Theres Cyborg, Amanda Waller and Jonn

What did the general audience know about hal jordan before? If anything JS was more well known among the public than hal jordan before the movie came out. I remember some people being confused why green lantern wasn't black in the movie.

Were talking about movies that are being made for the public to consume not just purely comic fans and yes for bane for about 80% of the public only knew him from b&r if they knew him at all.

1. These sorta hypothetical questions are pointless. No point asking what do they know about Hal before the movie because the movie happened and 20 million people got to watch the movie. Way more than the 1-2 million or less that watch it.
2. hal was in all the animated movies since 2008. Plus all the video games and animated series like the batman and batb.
3. He was also very very popular in superfriends which ran for like close to 10-20 years.
4. His emerald Twilight saga happened when Cyborg Superman killed coast city and that is a period where superman's death and return broke comic book sales. MILLIONS of people bought the comics and probably know about Emerald Twilight.
5. Another question for your first question is other than the non cannon relationship with hawkgirl what does the public know about John Stewart from JLU.
6. Hal Jordan is running his whole show now on cartoon network where average viewers were ard 1-2 million, most days higher than Young Justice. Hal Jordan is the most iconic character to this generation, infact Hal Jordan has always been the most iconic GL. Which is why he has always been given the name of the greatest GL of all time.

Last edited:

This.I got freaking mad at this question.Appparently a lot of people are familiar with the Jl cartoon.So Id say John stewart has some exposure.Howver lately Hal jordan ha been given more exposure so that might be mute piont.

Cyborg is a member of the JL, but he is not considered part of the core 7. To use Cyborg over GL would be stupid.

Waller is not in the JL.

Jonn is a Martian.

Well currently there are only seven members of the Justice League total. Cyborg is one of them. So that would make him one of the core 7 by default. Martian Manhunter isn't even on the team... or atleast they tried and then kicked him off

Well currently there are only seven members of the Justice League total. Cyborg is one of them. So that would make him one of the core 7 by default. Martian Manhunter isn't even on the team... or atleast they tried and then kicked him off

I'm assuming this is current comics of today, right? For me the core seven is: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Latern, Hawkgirl/man, Jonn, and Flash.

Hawkman has an awful continuity to be introduced in an ensemble piece. Hawkgirl is even worse. Aquaman kicks all kinda ass over them.

For me, the Justice League is:

Bruce Wayne
Kal- El/Clark Kent
Diana of Themyscira/ Prince
Arthur Curry/Orin
Hal Jordan
Barry Allen
J'onn J'onnz/ John Jones.

Accept no substitutes.

Y'know, unless they eventually do a film to do with legacies in which case they should definitely include Wally, Kyle and Dick.

Hawkman has an awful continuity to be introduced in an ensemble piece. Hawkgirl is even worse. Aquaman kicks all kinda ass over them.

For me, the Justice League is:

Bruce Wayne
Kal- El/Clark Kent
Diana of Themyscira/ Prince
Arthur Curry/Orin
Hal Jordan
Barry Allen
J'onn J'onnz/ John Jones.

Accept no substitutes.

Y'know, unless they eventually do a film to do with legacies in which case they should definitely include Wally, Kyle and Dick.

YOU GOOD, SIR...are correct.

I replace Hawkgir/man with Aquaman. I will accept no substitutes.

I wrote this post assuming that the JL movie woukd be standalone and not tie into the existing movies. Therefore, people would be no more confused by swapping Hal for John than they would be confused about people other than Cavill and Bale playing Supes and Batman.

But at the end of the day, the GA will not care what names are slapped onto the characters, they are only going to care whether they liked the movie. I think they'd do well to give Barry the same sense of humor the Wally-Flash had in the cartoon.

Last thing, I don't think they should use Cyborg in the JL for a movie. I can tolerate them putting him on the team in the comics but not on screen. Leave him for a Teen Titans movie or something (if they even want to use him there either...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"