Jessica Jones How would you rate season 1 of Jessica Jones?

So, are you going to provide any evidence for your position? Perhaps some refutation of the fact that Jessica went to extreme lengths to save other peoples' lives, and prove other peoples' innocence, even at great personal cost?

I give JJ a 9. Thorough character development, gripping drama, frank depictions of real human sexuality, terrifying villain, thrilling (if maddeningly infrequent) superhero action. I love the core concept of a female-centric buddy-hero show, and I love the execution and the performances. Really stellar series all the way around.

My sole complaint is in the last episode. I wanted a more dramatic final moment between the hero and the villain. It seemed like I blinked, and it was over. Maybe that was the point and fully intended by the showrunners, but it left me mildly disappointed. Hence the 9 rather than the full 10.

I rate 7. There were times when I lost interest in this. Some episode were slow to tell the story but in the end it was great.

I give JJ a 9. Thorough character development, gripping drama, frank depictions of real human sexuality, terrifying villain, thrilling (if maddeningly infrequent) superhero action. I love the core concept of a female-centric buddy-hero show, and I love the execution and the performances. Really stellar series all the way around.

My sole complaint is in the last episode. I wanted a more dramatic final moment between the hero and the villain. It seemed like I blinked, and it was over. Maybe that was the point and fully intended by the showrunners, but it left me mildly disappointed. Hence the 9 rather than the full 10.

I think the ending was the best part to me. I was literally in tears by the time she leans over and looks at Trish. "I love you." That never came up as an obvious ending before in the show (not the way, for instance, the title "smile" had) and yet felt the whole show was leading to that moment.

I rated it a nine because some of the earlier episodes felt fillerish (specifically episode four) and up until episode six I took a while getting through them. However, some of that is also just how heavy they were. I'm rewatching with a friend and she's having the same reaction. It's just too much, emotionally, to binge on. That's not nessisarily a fault though.

Just finished it today. 6/10

I simultaneously think this show is brilliant and awful.

The brilliant part is obviously Kilgrave and his powers. Great unique tense conceit for the story and a great performance from Tenant.

Everything else...I pretty much hated. All the characters are so unlikeable, not because of their actions so much as the actors who portray them. Trish, Simpson, the neighbors, Hope, and the ex-wife all have such an irritating presence on screen. That pretty much killed it for me. The guy who plays Luke Cage was pretty bland despite looking the part. I had somewhat similar problems about Daredevil season 1 with the supporting characters, but it's way worse here.

Ritter nailed the part of Jessica. However, I sort think that Jessica is a lame character. While I like her character on paper, what I didn't like was how it seemed like the show was trying make her interesting character traits (damaged, drinking problem, etc) seem 'cool'.

Last edited:
Ultimately a 5. I like Kristen Ritter, and Moss and Tennant, I like that this show talked about things like rape when you don't normally see that in Superhero shows, but it had too many issues for me to look past. The big ones being

1) The supporting cast, mainly Taylor and Traval are terrible. Especially Traval, the acting is awful and I wish they would get off my screen every time because of it.

2) I sometimes feel like this show tries too hard to be the "sexy Marvel show." I'm glad there's sex scenes, but then they felt forced and added merely to say "look we can have sex scenes!" They stopped feeling natural.

3) Jessica failing to kill Killgrave over and over again started to get on my nerves.

I'm not sure if I'll give S2 a try. I want to on principle, but this just didn't hook me like Daredevil did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"