The Wolverine Hugh Jackman says he's unsure about returning as Wolverine in another movie

With the revelation that X-men: Apocalypse will be strictly FC cast focused I'm not sure the film will be an adaptation of AoA. So maybe Wolverine won't be included at all. Which to me feels a bit weird as I really wanted to see an AoA film with the OT cast.

To be honest I am not too concerned if he isnt in it much/at all as we are getting W3 and he is pretty central in DoFP so we will get plenty of Wolverine action.

Gives the chance for some others to shine in other Xmen films. As much as he is my favourite character would be boring if it was all about him.

Yeah but if he's not sure about another movie then that puts another wolverine film In doudt assuming he's not BSing people.

Yeah but if he's not sure about another movie then that puts another wolverine film In doudt assuming he's not BSing people.

Im sure they can find someone else to take it on if Hugh decided to make DoFP his last, its not like the character of Wolverine starts and stops with Hugh as much as I like him in the role.

The show must go on!

I think they are going to write Jackman out as having his 1973 mind returned wherein Styrker finds and enlists him in Weapons X, giving us Origins or some variation of it. If they kill off Stryker in 1973 and completely eliminate the OT timeline, I think it is more likely Wolverine comes back, but you can still write him out as having found peace without becoming the monster he is as a result of Weapons X, but that would undo a lot of things about the character. What I do not forsee is Jackman doing both X-Men:A and W3 together. No way I see him committing to that.

Last edited:
I don't think he'll do X:A AND Wolvie 3 either. The guy's already been in six movies, seven if you count his cameo in First Class.

At some point he's got to get tired of playing the same character over and over. I think he's rivaling Roger Moore as James Bond now for one actor playing the same character.

Of course he'll do X:A and Wolverine 3 if Fox offers him to do it. He probably just needs some break, doing 2 X-Men back to back could be exhausting but he'll comeback when he feel like he needs to work again.

he'll comeback when he feel like he needs to work again.

you mean because no one is hiring him for anything else? :whatever:

in the long run he MAY just need a break from the characters rather then feel like FOX is rushing him with X-men movies

Last edited:
Sigh...knock it off with the eyeroll smilies, please.

The way I see it, we're in a win-win situation. Hugh won't do Wolverine 3 unless there's something good to do with it. Great.

With the timing of this and Apocalypse, maybe Fox are hoping to get him on board to film back to back. If they want him for the film, they'll no doubt make a very persuasive offer, and if they don't, we'll get an X-Men film without Logan potentially hogging the spotlight.

Not seeing a downside here tbh.

The way I see it, we're in a win-win situation. Hugh won't do Wolverine 3 unless there's something good to do with it. Great.

Wass there even a time when Hugh thought the material that FOX was offering to him in a X-Men movie wasn't good enough?

Sure, he has expressed his true feelings about X3/Origins but back in the day, he had a lot of good words with those films.

I think he's not just saying "Yes I will be back for more X-Men films" just to keep people guessing whether he will back in a X-Men movie or not. It adds more suspense, really. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told him to say that to the press.

Will it be set in the past after everything leading up to The Wolverine gets erased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wass there even a time when Hugh thought the material that FOX was offering to him in a X-Men movie wasn't good enough?

Sure, he has expressed his true feelings about X3/Origins but back in the day, he had a lot of good words with those films.

I think he's not just saying "Yes I will be back for more X-Men films" just to keep people guessing whether he will back in a X-Men movie or not. It adds more suspense, really. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told him to say that to the press.

As I understand it, Jackman was contractually obligated to do those films, that would include promoting those films. Jackman seems like a professional and generally nice guy, so of course he isn't going to bad mouth them during the production or promotion.

The difference now is that he is no longer contracted, so Fox can't force him to do another if he doesn't want to, and he'll only want to if he feels it's going to be good.

jackman done 3 films which were on his contract for X1,X2 and X3, and he done wolverines origin and japan story which he really wanted to do and came back to do days of future past

so it would make sense if jackman felt there wasn't anything left to explore with wolverine, not that he won't return but i think there would have to be something new and exciting to offer his character

Hugh was contracted to do X1 and X2. Every film since then, Hugh has done for excitement and love of the character. And of course, while making the movie, everybody is doing their best to make it the best...no one sets out to make a bad movie or even a crappy movie.

A lot of the cast said they thought X3 was going to be the best one yet. Is it on par with X2...many would say no. But X3 is far from the travesty many make it out to be. I'm actually watching it right now and realized how much I still like the movie.

And Hugh was excited about Origins. He thought, while filming it, they were doing justice to the character. Once he viewed the final product, I'm sure he had some bad feelings. But as others have said, he's a professional.

So honestly, if Hugh's still like playing the character and the story/script is exciting enough for him, he'll be back.

Hugh was contracted to do X1 and X2. Every film since then, Hugh has done for excitement and love of the character. And of course, while making the movie, everybody is doing their best to make it the best...no one sets out to make a bad movie or even a crappy movie.

A lot of the cast said they thought X3 was going to be the best one yet. Is it on par with X2...many would say no. But X3 is far from the travesty many make it out to be. I'm actually watching it right now and realized how much I still like the movie.

And Hugh was excited about Origins. He thought, while filming it, they were doing justice to the character. Once he viewed the final product, I'm sure he had some bad feelings. But as others have said, he's a professional.

So honestly, if Hugh's still like playing the character and the story/script is exciting enough for him, he'll be back.

It's also worth mentioning that while Origins wasn't a contractual obligation, Hugh did have to do it before Fox would let him make the Japan project, which he was passionate about for years.

It's also worth mentioning that while Origins wasn't a contractual obligation, Hugh did have to do it before Fox would let him make the Japan project, which he was passionate about for years.

I remember that. FOX told them to lay the groundwork first for character before doing the Japan storyline.

I'm sure Hugh will be back. But I hope he can accept that not every team movie has to focus on Wolverine or be about Wolverine. It would be perfectly okay if the story was more general, or focused on another character. Wolverine could still be a vital part of the team.

I'm sure Hugh will be back. But I hope he can accept that not every team movie has to focus on Wolverine or be about Wolverine. It would be perfectly okay if the story was more general, or focused on another character. Wolverine could still be a vital part of the team.

i don't think its jackman thats demanding the films be about wolverine its the writers and FOX i assume that make it to be all about wolverine, but i think there would still need to be something in this for jackman, something that adds to wolverines character, he has played the role 6 and a half (cameo) times so i'm sure he wouldn't just go back to do same old

I think Hugh would (and I believe should) be happy to continue on as Wolverine for the foreseeable future.Not only does Hugh respect and love playing the character,I'm sure he realizes once he's done, it's over.It'll be recast (most likely) and people will move on.So why not enjoy the ride as long as you can?

I think the reason Hugh drops these hints of retiring the role has more to due with him getting fans ready for the reality that he won't be playing Logan forever.

It does get kinda annoying though.It's like a "Brett Farve" situation.The story at this point is always "Will he come back?Does he want to?Do the fans want him to?How much longer can he maintain the excellent physical condition he's in?"

Just let 'em play.If he feels he can't do the character justice,or that he's said all he has to say with Logan,he'll be the first to announce he's done.Don't harangue the guy.After the quality of work he's given us,he deserves it.

Agreed. Even in the lesser X-movies (especially WO) he's always given it his best, and never given a bad performance.

At this point, I only see him coming back for an "event" type of sequel to satisfy the fanbase, where the pay is really good and the people you get to work with again make it all worthwhile. It will be a waste of time doing another isolated story like The Wolverine and repeating the same themes representative of the character. Obviously Mangold needs to be back and Hugh is close to Liev personally, so if they could bring him back as Sabertooth and make that dynamic work again with a proper script, that alone may be worth it. I don't think Hugh will want to rehash elements of previous movies. Pending the outcome of DoFP, many believe that history will have to be re-written for the character after 1973, so what story do you tackle in that time period? Or do you pick it up before the after credit scene in The Wolverine? Whatever the case, getting Mangold completely on board and giving both him and Hugh creative freedom to tell their story will be essential. I think as a compromise, Fox will want to include fan favorites like Sabertooth, Omega Red, and possibly ancillary X-Men characters to make this the "event" movie it needs to be. I think if they find the balance between those two things while making this another worthwhile movie making experience, Hugh will be back. Wolverine 3 is it though, I can't see him in X-Men:A or anything else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"