• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

'HUMAN WEAPON' on the history channel, thread.

It just bugs me that people into grappling martial arts always seem to have that alpha male "my art is superior" attitude and I rarely ever see that from people that practice other martial arts. And those same grappling enthusiasts always express little to no knowledge of the martial arts outside their own. They don't seem to get that forms are for reflexes and muscle memory so that these techniques become second nature and they don't seem to get that grappling is great against one opponent but when you're being jumped by more than one guy, rolling around on the ground won't help you much. Now I understand that many fights get taken to the ground but a lot of grapplers PURPOSEFULLY take the fight to the ground because that is their strength. Now that is just silly to me. Why would you WANT to be on the ground? That's not a good habit to practice. I just hate seeing all the techniques these guys learn go flying out the window (and as mentioned before, a lot of MMA fighters aren't that highly ranked and there are those that don't even HAVE any martial art experience. That alone tells you how valuable the martial arts aspect is to mixed martial arts).

Maybe it's just a western "I must destroy my opponent" way of thinking which I never quite understood. A fighter's a fighter to me. The martial art is just the means. I don't think I'll become a superior fighting god just by learning Brazilian jujitsu.

You're missing the point. The same padded kicks that would only score points on my friend, hurts his opponent to where they fall or are knocked unconscious. The same ones. Within the rules.

The same as the bag-kicking story I relayed.

Ok fine he kicks harder than the opponets he's faced in his particular situation. This still doesn't prove that traditional martial arts is useful in a real fight.

It's a mind set. The American-trained martial-artists have quick, pretty kicks that score points effectively. My friend had more powerful kicks that were never drilled into him as a "point-getting tool". They were drilled as a means to take the enemy down. As such, his muscle memory and tone is geared towards that.

There are alot of schools that teach martial arts in the fashion you're talking about but to say that anyone who has ever learned martial arts in the united states gets the same style training is just horribly incorrect. Not that it matters the majority of traditional martial arts taught anywhere is not useful in a real fight.

This is where the Muay Thai story also becomes relevant. Jason likely has just as much knowledge of kicking and kicking techniques as the MT fighter does. It's just that the MT fighter's kicks were never designed to earn points in a friendly sparring session, which is how American kids are trained due to overprotective parents, and scared-of-lawsuits instructors.

Don't dispute me on that last part either, as I have an 8-yr-old that is currently taking Karate classes, and has been for the last 3 years.

Uh, do you even read what you type? Even if Jason does have the same knowledge of kicking techniques it doesn't mean that he and that mua thai champion are on equal ground in a mua thai fight. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Nope. You set it to record episodes designated as "New". Unless Dish Network screws up their listings, an episode is only marked as "New" once. Cool thing though, if somehow the new episode you are recording is not recorded because say, another show with higher priority, or a storm knocked out your satellite signal, the DVR will automatically search for the next instance of the same episode, and set itself to record it.

lol sounds like DV-R is a Terminator for old episodes.

John Connor: Did u record the old episodes?
Terminator: Terminated. . . .
:bh:

Ok fine he kicks harder than the opponets he's faced in his particular situation. This still doesn't prove that traditional martial arts is useful in a real fight.

There are alot of schools that teach martial arts in the fashion you're talking about but to say that anyone who has ever learned martial arts in the united states gets the same style training is just horribly incorrect. Not that it matters the majority of traditional martial arts taught anywhere is not useful in a real fight.

Uh, do you even read what you type? Even if Jason does have the same knowledge of kicking techniques it doesn't mean that he and that mua thai champion are on equal ground in a mua thai fight. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Wow. What martial arts have you taken? traditional martial arts have just as much real life applications as modern martial arts. That is one incredibly slanted view you have there and as a guy who has never lost a street fight using traditional martial arts I must say I'm incredibly offended. You mean to tell me I've trained since I was 13 in hapkido, kickboxing, northern shaolin, pa kua, capoeira, and tai chi, actually holding a second degree black belt in hapkido, only for you to say some loser who trains a few months in brazillian jujitsu has a better chance of winning a fight than me? Wow. Maybe it's not the traditional martial arts that suck. Maybe you or those people just don't know how to use it properly.

Modern martial arts are fine but there are weight classes for a reason. Let's see how well these guys do against people bigger than them.

I'm sorry but this "traditional sucks" **** just pisses me off. Some cocky ****in' people out there.

Wow.

I'd like to know what authority you have, making these sweeping generalizations.

I have trained in Escrima and Kali since I was about 11, and I have yet to lose a one-on-one streetfight, and have actually fought off multiple opponents at once. Tough to do that on your back.

Escrima and Kali - the same style that Jason Bourne used, and one of the main styles taught to CIA, FBI and Special Ops operatives, and the root of the hand-to-hand system that the Marines currently use, and Israel's Krav Maga, because it integrates empty hand, knife and "use-what-you-can-grab-ahold-of" techniques pretty effectively. It is also used widely by local law-enforcement.

I myself, have recognized its moves, during my own military training, and when I trained to be a state Corrections Officer. The art has literally saved the lives of thousands of men and women serving this country everyday, and in real combat (or 'martial') situations too. Not in some padded ring with a referee.

Here. Learn something: http://www.usadojo.com/articles/filipino-kali-alive.htm

Another major event that occurred in the 90’s (which went virtually unnoticed by the civilian martial arts world) was the integration of Filipino based martial arts as part of official US military training and law enforcement training. This includes corrections, probation, pre-trial services, and diplomatic protection services.

Today you don’t need to look very far to see the influence of the Filipino martial arts has had on the United States military. If you pick up the United States Marine Corps field manual Close Combat (MCRP 3-02B), dated February 18, 1999, you will find strikes and blocks (Chapter 3 Hand-Held weapons) that are identical to what you’d find in a typical kali class. The manual contains step-by-step moves for knives, and even sticks (a section titled Combative Stick Techniques).

There is also a section in the manual for non-lethal baton techniques, because the US Marine Corps has taken on the new mission of international peacekeepers. Although this publication is fairly new, it supersedes Fleet Marine Force Manual (FMFM) 0-7, Close Combat, dated July 9, 1993. The newer version contains the stick and baton techniques.

Likewise, if you pull out the US Army’s field manual Combatives (FM 21-150), dated September 30, 1992 you will not only find similar strikes and blocks found in the Marine manual, but you’ll also find a chart with 9 angles of attack – not too much different than the same chart found in Dan Inosanto’s book The Filipino Martial Arts (Know Now Publishing Company).

Many of the military’s Combatives or Close Combat instructors are very familiar with the Filipino martial arts. One instructor who capitalized on the arts was Navy SEALs operator Frank Cucci (also a student of Dan Inosanto) who now has a series of training videos out on the market (Panther Productions). He, like many military trainers, have taken the Filipino martial arts and adapted them to the military K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) principle. The military version of Filipino kali has been stripped to its simplest form, whereas many JKD/kali schools are somewhat on the flowery and fancy side.

Either way, each technique has its strengths and weaknesses. This also varies from person-to-person. The end-user has the responsibility to recognize this, and adapt himself to what is effective for him/her.

In My Humble Opinion, what works for Krav Maga works for the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program as well, since they both deal with close combat.

Hmmm...I wish I had saw this thread sooner.. :( This show sounds pretty cool.

-TNC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"