Hype's I Love Sushi thread (don't be scurred)

Ok, I've already said I'll try anything once - apart from THAT, Knowsbleed :o

So, I'm having some this weekend after watching The Orphanage :)

Wish me luck.

Baby octopus :up:

stuff%20240.jpg

Oh man. That looks SO good. I've never had baby Octopus before, but I've had Octopus, and in my experience "baby" anything usually tastes better than the full grown stuff. :up:

I'm not going to read too much into that statement, odiin :D

I can east most types of sushi, though I think i'll draw the line on something that has suction cups.

But the best is Salmon and I have pretty much evolved into just getting pieces of Salmon sushi when I go somewhere. MM that reddish-orange fish is godly.

Yeah the only Sushi I haven't ventured into is the one with tentacles.

I can't even eat it with calamari. :csad:

I did something similar to what Erz described above. I broke into sushi slowly... a few Cali rolls here, a shrimp nigiri there... small fish, pardon the pun. Then I went out with my sushi enthusiast friend who insisted that I order some sashimi. He recommended the small plate consisting of tuna, salmon, red snapper, mackeral, etc. I did and ordered hot some warm sake to go with it.

I get the plate and it is anything but small... there is so much raw fish on this plate. I was intimidated. But I was determined to go through with it so I started going at it. By the time I made my way to the salmon... the texture of all the pieces of raw fish that I'd already eaten was playing tricks with my mind. I was not having fun anymore... that's for sure. But my friend kept insisting that its bad etiquette to leave sushi on your plate... so I kept going and finished my food.

I wanted to die.

Then next week... I wanted more. :o

I did the opposite, I dove right in head first trying every type of sushi when my party ordered a gigantic Sushi boat. I have fallen in love with the whole idea of Sushi. The chop sticks, soy sauce, wasabi, sake, and of course japanese beer. Sush is an experience for me, and it is something that has become relaxing for me a couple times a week. I have a Sushi place about 2 minutes from my house that is quite famous in the Boston area, so I can order out or walk over there and sit down and relax.

Eggy... give me a sushi update.

:up: on the avatar btw. at least we all know now who likes to be on top between you and bamferoni.

LOL! I was just coming in here :D

And here I am :) I'm going to have some tomorrow night after watching The Orphanage, what d'you advise for a sushi n00b?

:)

If the place has their own specialty rolls, I'd try those. There should be a menu that specifies what's in the rolls. If you are hesitant to try actual raw fish, you could always go for a roll with cooked shrimp in it. There are some delicious shrimp tempura rolls that give you a nice little crunch when you eat it.

If you don't mind a little raw fish, I'd recommend something with a little salmon as salmon is very tasty yet not very overpowering. Tuna has zero flavor IMO... but others seem to like it. In most places here in the states there is a roll called a Philadelphia roll that has salmon, cream cheese and avocado wrapped in seaweed and rice. A lot of people like the cream cheese as it gives it a more non fishy type texture.

Another piece of advice, don't get too much. You may be tempted to try 3 or 4 different rolls of sushi but that's a whole lot of sushi. Each order will come to 4 to 6 rolls depending on the way they slice it. So order 1 or 2 different types of rolls at most.

If you want to go bold, try nigiri sushi which is just the fish on rice:
23044661.jpg

They usually come in 2 piece orders and are a more pure form of sushi. I prefer these to rolls actually... but I did not like them at first.

Go easy on the wasabi if you want to mix it with your soy sauce as too much wasabi will kill the flavor of the sushi. Have fun, post here when you busted your sushi cherry.

I think everything sushi is da bomb. Well almost. I dont like octopuss. Sea urchin was like a big fat nasty soggy marshmellow...yucky.

I go crazy for unagi (omg the flavor is so sweet with a very slight crunch). My current favorite is a volcano roll hot and crunchy with a little kick.

Dam I want some now =(

Thanks pal. I've made a note :D

I'll post my update tomorrow and let you know how I went on :up: I'm a bit nervous :o but that red one looks tastey ;)

I think I prefer some type of california roll (rice..spinach and other things) then sushi per say...but sushi can be quite good...need to try a new sushi bar not to far from me.

I'm sure that if you try more sushi that you'll start to acquire a taste for it. If I lived in a place where I could get fresh fish, I'd definitely try and make more sushi at home as eating out all the time can get pretty expensive as far as sushi is concerned. I'd love to experiment in making my own rolls with varying degrees of spiciness.

I had sushi one time, it tasted like Deputy Dog took a crap in my mouth.

California rolls are for losers. :down

:lmao: hahahahaha

Watch out Mee, Knowsbleed's taking your title next year :D

Is that a California roll in your pocket, or are you just happy sashimi?

No Sushi For Old Mee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"