I enjoyed Batman and Robin

Micah12345

Sidekick
Reaction score
And I still watch it on occasion. Just as good as the adam west era imo.

Agreed.

It's the lesser of the Batman films, sure. But that doesn't make it un-watchable or un-enjoyable.

CFE

And I still watch it on occasion. Just as good as the adam west era imo.

While I like the movie, George Clooney, Arnie et al are no way near as good at camp comedy as Adam West, Neil Hamilton and co. Adam West is probably the greatest at tongue in cheek comedy ever.

The scenes between Bruce and Alfred are brilliantly written in my opinion, makes you wonder how Goldsman can write that and then the punfilled dribble that fills the rest of the film

Every Batman film has had its own degree of fun and spectacle (and Batman & Robin is no exception). But I believe there is a universal expectation, if not a down right obligation, to make these films both creative and interesting to the public who pays to watch them. B&R was very sloppy both in it's execution of characters and general plot cohesiveness. Effects were often out of sync with the action and the acting was less than engaging due to the juvenile dialog. This was not the work of someone interested in the genre or in a true effort to expand the mythos of Batman.

Schumacher is a fine director but, like any director, not all subjects are intended for his vision. Batman Forever was a passable effort because it had a number of creative hands stirring the pot. That film was not entirely his vision, but it certainly had some early signs of his influence. Batman and Robin was sold to him as his and his alone. He did not want to do this picture, but when a studio is throwing money at you, your going to do it every time. You can see that disinterest in the final product (as well as his commentary on the DVD). He took a very simplistic approach to the characters and story which removed any depth or psychological complexity to the series. This reduced the film to nothing more than a simple piece of eye candy that is too often compared with a 40 year old television show which spoofed the character.

Warner Bros was not looking for any comparisons with the '66 series and went to great lengths to distance itself with the first installment in 1989. No one from that show was even allowed to have a cameo because the studio feared it would not be taken seriously. So, yes, B&R might have been fun to some but, at the end of the day, it took away all of the respect the series had been building for the past decade. Commercially it was a huge miscalculation and shut down the series for many, many years.

No one is saying it can't be accepted for it's own approach, but it's an approach that should have been used for a television project and not a multi-billion dollar franchise looking to expand it's marketplace. That was a huge mistake and everyone in the industry has openingly admitted this.

"I enjoyed Batman and Robin"...

...when I was 8 years old :o

I enjoy it too...it's not my favorite Batman film...I prefer it to Batman Forever.

It was a good movie cloony shows glimpses why he could have been the best bruce/batman but he was (imo) cast at a time when his acting was still a bit tepid it was later in his career when he became a really good actor seen in films like intolerable crulety,solaris and where brother where art thou?. if they made Batman Begins in say 2002 i would have tried my hardest to get clooney to play the bat in it.

While I'm indulgent on the bad aspects of Batman Forever and am able to rescue the good aspects of it over the bad ones, I simply can't watch B&R without having shakey shivers.

Some action sequiences are visually attractive, but the acting is way too bad. And even the action turns ridiculous in several ocasions. It's simply too bad.

As I put it in another thread:

Mr. Socko said:
I very much enjoyed The Terminator as Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin. His look was perfect, as was his motivation, and I really felt for him in the jail scene where he creates an ice sculpt of his wife. I never really liked Poison Ivy in the comics, but Uma did well with what she had to work with. We got to see Batgirl in what I'm sure, will be the last time on film. Alicia Silverstone was really cool, and it certainly made more sense to make her related to Alfred than Gordon, who by the way, also had a bit more to do in Schumacher's films than Burton's. I also really liked the way Arkham was portrayed. And even Clooney, who was the poorest of Bat-men, still was passable as Wayne.

In the end, I enjoy these movies. The over the top statue-filled neon Gotham City. The chrome plated bat-suits complete with their bat-nipples. The purple face Dent, the nutty Riddler, the green Bane and Freeze who sings "Mr. Snow" and spouts every pun imaginable that has to do with Ice or winter. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were ridiculous, they were over the top, they were bold and loud. And I thank Joel Schumacher for giving us that final piece of history, that very last memory of Batman as a campy, far more light-hearted than dark vigilante superhero that battles even the wildest of villains. As I'm sure, we will never again in history ever get that "campy" version of Batman in film, comics, or television. While it lasted, I could safely say I enjoyed it.

000216pb9.jpg

And that's a wrap.

Every Batman film has had its own degree of fun and spectacle (and Batman & Robin is no exception). But I believe there is a universal expectation, if not a down right obligation, to make these films both creative and interesting to the public who pays to watch them. B&R was very sloppy both in it's execution of characters and general plot cohesiveness. Effects were often out of sync with the action and the acting was less than engaging due to the juvenile dialog. This was not the work of someone interested in the genre or in a true effort to expand the mythos of Batman.

Schumacher is a fine director but, like any director, not all subjects are intended for his vision. Batman Forever was a passable effort because it had a number of creative hands stirring the pot. That film was not entirely his vision, but it certainly had some early signs of his influence. Batman and Robin was sold to him as his and his alone. He did not want to do this picture, but when a studio is throwing money at you, your going to do it every time. You can see that disinterest in the final product (as well as his commentary on the DVD). He took a very simplistic approach to the characters and story which removed any depth or psychological complexity to the series. This reduced the film to nothing more than a simple piece of eye candy that is too often compared with a 40 year old television show which spoofed the character.

Warner Bros was not looking for any comparisons with the '66 series and went to great lengths to distance itself with the first installment in 1989. No one from that show was even allowed to have a cameo because the studio feared it would not be taken seriously. So, yes, B&R might have been fun to some but, at the end of the day, it took away all of the respect the series had been building for the past decade. Commercially it was a huge miscalculation and shut down the series for many, many years.

No one is saying it can't be accepted for it's own approach, but it's an approach that should have been used for a television project and not a multi-billion dollar franchise looking to expand it's marketplace. That was a huge mistake and everyone in the industry has openingly admitted this.

totally agreed.

but part of my still enjoys it, lol.

Hi my names Rob and I like Batman and Robin. It's been six months since my last viewing...

Seriously, I can watch it now, and yeah I see the flaws and the holes, but to me, it's still Batman, and he still kicks ass, and he still wins at the end of the day.

I read the Dark Knight Returns over and over again, that's campy...

Don't blame the death of the franchise on nipples and neon.

lol, true, I remember watching it at the cinema with my mum and her getting rather excited that they showed Clooney's bum!

Meh, I still think it's not as bad as everyone makes out...

Its one of my favotrites. I would take B&R any day than BR or BB. Batman Returns was to creepy and Begins well.... too realistic Batman is a realistic hero, no superpowers but his world isnt realistic.

As I'm sure, we will never again in history ever get that "campy" version of Batman in film, comics, or television.

Maybe not the campy Batman, but there will be lighter versions of Batman in the future, just as there will be darker ones.

Batman is a realistic hero, no superpowers but his world isnt realistic.

I wouldn't say Batman is or isn't realistic per se. Begins certainly tries to create a Batman who could exist in something like the real world, whereas B&R certainly does not do that. You can have 'realistic' or non-realistic versions of Batman, that's one of the joys of the character.

The best part of the movie is when Batman smashes through the window of the Freezemobile and then it cuts to Batman opening his cape, revealing an oddly .

It's a perfect bookend to the similar scene in Batman that starts with "There is something that you have that I want" and ends with Vicki waking up in her apartment.

Batman clearly had his way with both of them, leaving them with a splitting headache and a whole lot of shame. :o He's a bad, bad guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"