I have absolved Halle Berry

Knightsaber Priss

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
As anyone who frequented the CINO forums (Or any other forum for that matter.) knows, I am a very tough individual to please when it comes to my favorite comicbook characters. I have a strong degree of quality I like to see in portrayals of certain characters. In a nutshell, I had no issues with Halle playing Catwoman. It's just that I really despised the direction the movie was going in from the start. I saw the movie and really, it was a torturous experience for me. Anyways, flash forward to present day. I've been a fan of the X-Men comics of old for a very long time and I know people have criticized Halle's performances, myself included, in the previous two films, but Halle was given A.) A bad wig in the first movie. B.) Not much meat to the role of Storm. C.) Particularly cheesy dialogue. D.) Forced upon African accent that just didn't work. And probably numerous other things any of you could name off. I mean really, I think Halle when given a good script is a fantastic actress. I had loved her well rounded performances in Dorothy Dandridge and Losing Isaiah. But now that I look at things in hindsight, she was not allowed to flourish as the character of Ororo Monroe, not that this was the director's fault really. The X-Men Universe has so many characters in it, they needed to branch them off into two teams in the comics just to give every character a chance. But when I saw X3 I was very much impressed with how evolved Storm's character had become. Alot of you are moaning about the fact Storm was chosen to lead in the movie after Scott and Xavier were eliminated. Which really puzzles me alot because Storm was a leader and sort of second in command to Scott in the comics. She was even higher in rank than Jean Grey. My fellow comic fans, you should know better! I really thought Halle did a good job and rose to the occasion in this movie, evolving Storm from a bit player to the leader she should become based on precedence in the comicbooks. I loved how they really amped up everything about the character. It is because of Halle's improvement that I have forgiven her for CINO. And if she does course through these forums to see what we the fans are saying, please, by all means focus on just refining Storm some more. No more caricaturististic roles like CINO.

i'm glad halle spoke up about her role as storm.

not to bash bryan singer, but they really dumbed storm down alot in the first two movies.

(now if halle can only give her a half-way decent african accent. random fact: but i read somewhere that the storm of the comic books doesn't use contractions)

Well, you'd figure for reality's sake that Storm has lived long enough in America to have learned to turn off her accent at will.

I was amazed at Halle's performance in The Last Stand, and for a lot of it I actually wanted her to be in it more. I thought she did an amazing job showing Storm's strength given the history the character had in the last two films. I don't know how she did it, but I really liked Halle in this movie, and as far as I'm concerned she's forgiven for Xmen 1. Thanks Halle for making Storm a memorable character.

Godzilla2000 said:
Well, you'd figure for reality's sake that Storm has lived long enough in America to have learned to turn off her accent at will.

yeah, but one thing i liked about the x-men comics was that there was an international flavor to the team...that mutation wasn't just localized to people living in the us. (russian collosus, german nightcrawler, australian pyro, british psylocke). i've forgiven singer and ratner on all there other changes----i'll forgive them for storm's non-existent accent as well.

Wow, I'm so glad that people are noticing the parallels with the Comic character and the movie character. Thanks to Halle fighting for the character we actually have something to talk about.

I couldn't stand what happened to her character in the first film. IMH, the lack of consistancy with the accent is SINGER'S FAULT. That is bad directioning and terrible editing. When watching the playback Singer should have said, "We need to do that again." Now if Halle couldn't hold the accent then they could have reshot the, what...at most 2 scenes, in which she had the accent and dropped it. Its not like it would have messed with the plot, or anything else for that matter. I mean after all, she is one of the two people in this with a fairly large part, WITH NO BACK STORY. (Cyke being the other) So technically most people didn't even miss the accent, cause most don't know she was raised outside of the US.

But watching her go from shy-intovert, to mother figure, to leader and kick a$$ fighter, was like watching her progress through the books. So yes, I totally agree with you.

I still have no problem with Halle. And think she's a fine actress.

Majik1387 said:
This was a well written post but I have to say this.

A.) A bad wig does not make bad acting
B.) Doesn't matter how much "meat" is given to a character, it's how you deliver it.
C.) When have comic books and movies not have sheesy dialogue?
D.) The accent wasn't forced upon, she tried to do it on her own. Even if it was forced upon, she's an actress, it's her job to try portray the character the way the director wants.

Well, a bad wig is a distraction to the viewer. I don't care how good of an actor you are. If you are wearing something that looks like something crawled on top of your head and died, people will be focusing on how bad the wig looks as opposed to ones performance. Well, when dealing with a major character like Storm, whom I did say was second in command only to Scott Summers, and third in rank behind Professor X, substance in the part is necessary. This isn't the 60's with Nichelle Nichols in a minidress being an intergalactic operator aboard the Enterprise. Storm in the comics was and is a strong individual with intelligence, not a second string hero just there to be eye candy. And, there is cheesy dialogue in comics, but nothing on the level of "Do you know what happens to a Toad when it's struck by Lightning?" bad. And the reason I say the accent was forced upon was because it just didn't sound natural. Yes Halle did give it the good old College try, but it just was not right for her to attempt an accent that she had difficulty affecting. Not just anyone, no matter how talented they are, can do pitch perfect certain accents. I'm just glad by the secod film they realized this and let Halle talk in her natural voice.

The biggest complaint about Halle I've seen on these boards is, "Waaa...she doesn't deserve her oscar! *sniff*"

Why doesn't anybody complain about her SAG award(s)? You know if I hated her, that would be the one that would be getting my panites in a bunch.

Meh. Her part was better written (though I don't think any part was well written in this script save for Mystique, but she wasn't on screen long enough to screw up....okay Beast was well done too), but she was TERRIBLE. She delivered her lines in a flat and "I'm doing this for the paycheck" way that made me cringe.

C'mon who didn't cringe when she said "She's gone Logan! IT'S BECAUSE YOU LOVE HER!" ?

Terrible. She can be a good actress but she never bothered in the X-Men movies so it still baffles me why she wanted more to do if she wasn't even going to try.

How about when she delivered:

"Logan, we work as team!!"

"She made her choice, now it's time we make ours. So if your with us than be with us."

"You be ready to do what you need to do."

"There's nothing to cure, there's nothing wrong with you, or any of us for that matter...understand!!"

Yeah, those lines sounded so flat!!:o :down

sumwon12001 said:
i'm glad halle spoke up about her role as storm.

not to bash bryan singer, but they really dumbed storm down alot in the first two movies.

(now if halle can only give her a half-way decent african accent. random fact: but i read somewhere that the storm of the comic books doesn't use contractions)

Storm was a complete idiot in this movie. What are you talking about?

I was quite happy with Storm in this movie as well

Nothing beat the dryness and wooden acting of Famke's lines. It's sad that she acted somewhat better with a silent role. I cringed everytime she opened her mouth in X-2. "Gee Logan, you're making me blush." o_O Really, are you sure about that Famke, cause I'm not feeling it.

My thing is this, most people have every right to complain about Storm in the first two films. My biggest complaint was, "What Storm?" Not the actor's fault. Its like blaming James for Cyke's dorkiness in the first two.

Well, maybe if we support her efforts and encourage her to go the extra mile every time she plays the role of Storm, she will think we believe in her abilities and give us progressively better performances. Her Storm in X3 compared to the original was light years better in comparison. I think Halle really can play Storm if given the chance to get to know the character better.

I quote:

'What kind of character would want to take this cure just to fit in?'

She's sitting beside a man who has blue skin and fur.

Not only that, but she's supposed to be a part of that world... she knows there are mutants out there who would sincerely benefit from taking the cure... Rogue for example...

and that leads us to her next bad piece of dialogue...

liamoversion2 said:
Storm was a complete idiot in this movie. What are you talking about?

Now this is not a very intelligent argument. You don't back your opinion up with cold, hard facts. Like I said, I was not Halle's biggest fan as Storm in the first two movies, but after X3 I think given the right amount of encouragement she can do the character justice.

Majik1387 said:
There was nothing dry or wooden about her acting.:o

I must agree. Famke was great as the angry and withdrawn Phoenix. I really liked her performance in this movie as well.

liamoversion2 said:
I quote:

'What kind of character would want to take this cure just to fit in?'

She's sitting beside a man who has blue skin and fur.

Not only that, but she's supposed to be a part of that world... she knows there are mutants out there who would sincerely benefit from taking the cure... Rogue for example...

and that leads us to her next bad piece of dialogue...

that's not being an idiot. she's a mutant. she's proud of her mutantcy and wants everyone to feel that way about themselves---beast and rogue included--and not have people easily convince them that they're a disease that can be cured.

compare that to:

"do you know what happens when a toad is struck by lightning"-----very insightful dialogue there.

Majik1387 said:
There was nothing dry or wooden about her acting.:o

Ok glad you said that. Let's take a realistic view at her big entrance in X3. We get the giant toliet flush, the big spotlight in our eyes and POOOOF! She's there. Does she look dazed, confused, bewildered, excited, happy, angry, like she has to pee, sleepy...anything. Nope. She looks like she's waiting for her que.

Oh and don't tell me she did a good DP. That was the FX team, and yeah they did a very good job.

Oh yeah, angry-face isn't really the greatest of all acting skills.

So if you pick on X3, I would suggest noticing all the flaws. But despite it all it was still entertaining, something for me that was lacking alot in the first too. I mean they weren't terrible movies, but I found that they weren't as awe-inspiring as the books, or dare I say Spider-man.

Goddessreicho said:
Ok glad you said that. Let's take a realistic view at her big entrance in X3. We get the giant toliet flush, the big spotlight in our eyes and POOOOF! She's there. Does she look dazed, confused, bewildered, excited, happy, angry, like she has to pee, sleepy...anything. Nope. She looks like she's waiting for her que.

Oh and don't tell me she did a good DP. That was the FX team, and yeah they did a very good job.

Oh yeah, angry-face isn't really the greatest of all acting skills.

So if you pick on X3, I would suggest noticing all the flaws. But despite it all it was still entertaining, something for me that was lacking alot in the first too. I mean they weren't terrible movies, but I found that they weren't as awe-inspiring as the books, or dare I say Spider-m.

That wasn't anything to do with her talent... that was the writers... Remember:

Scott: How?

Jean: (considers) ... I dunno...

I mean Jesus, what do you expect?

Well, I thought Famke did good in my opinion. You are welcome to yours, but I still feel the same way. But let's talk about Halle eh? If anyone wants to critique Famke either find an already existing thread or start your own please.

I enjoyed Storm in this movie. As for people's complaints on her "cure" stance, b*tch about Zak Penn or Kingberg. Halle didn't write the script. Jeez. Give it a rest.

The lines were delivered fine. The only scene I had a problem with was the "because you love her" and I think that was editing and we missed something beforehand in the film to make that sound more like a question than a statement. That was it. Aside from that I have no complaints on Halle's performance.:up::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"