Comics Iceman

You know what would solve this problem many of us have with Fraction trying to juggle so many characters? The core X-titles being squad-based again. But apparently nobody who works at Marvel likes that old way of doing things.
But are there that many people having a problem with it, truly? I mean, over here on the X-boards of the SuperHeroHype Forums, there's the same, what, five? people *****ing about it every thread you step into. And there's the same, oh, I dunno, five? people who don't care or have no problem with it. (There really isn't that many of us altogether, is there?) Sure, that's a 50/50 split, but how well does that portray the overall atmosphere of readers regarding the title? Seriously, we internet fans don't count. I'm not being facetious when I say that, and the question I'm asking is honest.

Because the title's apparently selling well enough that they're happy with it, and editorial isn't in some mad rush to shake Fraction off the title. He's not a dog humping the leg, you know?

Uncanny is primarily about Cyclops being leader of mutants. So obvisously the book will most always focus on him and his closest people i.e. Emma (girlfriend), Beast (right hand man),

That is why we see the same core characters.

If they kept changing the roster round every couple of issues for the sake of it, we would have no clue as to where we are at.
Actually, yes. This is the way of it.

If you have a cast of characters as extensive as that of the X-men, it is silly to focus on, like 3 of them all the time and leave out the many other interesting characters because they are not your personal favourites. Especially when they have been focused on in the past. Writers can have favourite characters, but when said characters are developed extensively at the expense of other important and well-liked characters' development, that is rather amateurish.
On one hand, I wonder how many comics writers would call themselves the utmost professional. I'm sure a lot of them. After all, comics is serious business.

Tongue out of cheek, I sure love the use of speculation as fact. Err, wait, the tongue was still stuffed very firmly in cheek. Ahem. There we go! Who is to say what characters are interesting? Your choice of interesting characters does not coincide with mine, I'm sure, or possibly Manic's, or Outcry's, or Spoons's, or Almighty Pejo-who-has-not-been-around-in-forever's, or whoever else's.

Discounting that entirely, Uncanny is the flagship X-Men series, one, and it's very much about Cyclops having taken the role of being in charge of the remaining mutants. Should the title not then logically be concerning Cyclops in a primary role? Given Emma's role as Headmistress, or whatever it is they're calling her now, logically you can stick her up there as well. Then with the X-Club's prominence we have Beast and, to a lesser degree, Angel taking up screen time. Check and check. All makes sense thus far!

The rest of the "main team" - which I quote and use loosely, let us just make sure that's said - is, yes, chosen. Oh, how horrid. Fraction has used Pixie, a character he apparently likes. He's used Northstar apparently and admittedly because of his power scheme. Psylocke's been present and used since the Sisterhood because... I dunno, because they brought her back and away from Claremont and limbo and Fraction didn't want to come off as Whedon resurrecting Colossus? Ha. And how's about that Colossus doing something nice and meaingful, despite not being a regular contender on the team. And I distinctly remember some Nightcrawler pages.

Oh, but this Utopia X storyline is most clearly crap, because it's freaking Cyclops and Emma, the two people in charge, at a head. Geez, it should totally be Iceman rallying the forces - in fact, considering he's the premier omega mutant around, he should just be kicking everyone's butts in general. GO ICEMAN! Alas, the tongue is back in cheek.

Oh, and by the way, Grant Morrison is very overrated.
Um, okay? Please don't insult creators. It's so very hurtful? :whatever:

I don't really have a problem with the way things are right now, like a lot of people here do. This focus on Cyclops won't last forever, but right now I think it gives writer's decent storyline opportunities, and I don't think that's running out of steam right now. And I like how Fraction gives cameos to the obscurest of mutants.

But, yeah, Iceman... I wonder if he'll make any appearances in Legacy.

I don't really have a problem with the way things are right now, like a lot of people here do. This focus on Cyclops won't last forever, but right now I think it gives writer's decent storyline opportunities, and I don't think that's running out of steam right now. And I like how Fraction gives cameos to the obscurest of mutants.

But, yeah, Iceman... I wonder if he'll make any appearances in Legacy.
One can only hope not. I'm not a big fan of what Carey was doing with the guy.

If Mystique isn't around, I don't have a problem with him there. I'd rather he not carry on with that... relationship. I makes me sad for Iceman, but not in a good empathetic way.

Im an Iceman fan who would want him under Carey's pen. Aside from what eh did with Mystique, I liked where he was going with Bobby bc he seemed to actually give a damn about the character which isnt much more than I could say formost writers in the past decade. Last writer to actually give him some good characterization was Lobdell. I liked where Carey was going with him and his powers and I liked that he picked up on his past friendship with Sam. Loooked like he was moving Bobby forward istead of holding him back in the same stagnant role, he tends to default to

28985new_storyimage0200041_full.jpg

9857new_storyimage-55031996%7C427x648.jpg

550%7C-i-content-9857new_storyimage-65031996%7C648x492.jpg

9857new_storyimage-75031997%7C427x648.jpg

Iceman, back when he was a Snowman. Hate that they are drawing him as a blonde here

That's been confusing me for years. Apparently Iceman has light brown hair, but I thought it was blond for the longest time. It was blond in the Amazing Friends cartoon, and it's lighter than Cyclops' brown hair 90% of the time. Even Shawn Ashmore (from the movies) has the kind of brown hair that catches light really easily.

I like how Cyke just busts through a wall, but nobody saw him coming. In his X-Men uniform.

That's been confusing me for years. Apparently Iceman has light brown hair, but I thought it was blond for the longest time. It was blond in the Amazing Friends cartoon, and it's lighter than Cyclops' brown hair 90% of the time. Even Shawn Ashmore (from the movies) has the kind of brown hair that catches light really easily.
It was blonde in the Amazing Friends show to differentiate him from Peter. They really looked alike in that one. Its always been brown for the most part until Carey's run. Since then people have been coloring him with blonde hair

prv3722_cov.jpg

prv3722_pg1.jpg

prv3722_pg2.jpg

prv3722_pg3.jpg

prv3722_pg4.jpg

prv3722_pg5.jpg

prv3722_pg6.jpg

X-MEN ORIGINS: ICEMAN #1

STORY BY Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
ART BY Phil Noto
COLORS BY Phil Noto
COVER BY Phil Noto
PUBLISHER: Marvel Comics
COVER PRICE: $3.99
RELEASE DATE: Wed, November 4th, 2009

The successful X-MEN ORIGINS series continues! In this one-shot, we see the origin of Bobby Drake, A.K.A. ICEMAN! See the small town beginnings that helped forge the coolest mutant of them all! Written by Roberto Aguirre Sacasa (STEPHEN KING’S THE STAND) with fan favorite artist Phil Noto! Don’t miss it!

I got some good news for my fellow Iceman fans

"Iceman finds himself in a unique position in this story, one that he may not be comfortable with: that of leader," Yost says. "[He's] keeping everyone alive, to a certain extent-he's making fresh water for the island's population. To the X-Men, Bobby is the irresponsible joker, the kid who NATION X #1 preview art by Michele Bertilorenzinever grew up. But other mutants might see him in a different light; he's one of the original five X-Men. They're icon status, and he may be the only one that people can actually approach now. By the time you get to the last page, you'll have a new perspective on Iceman's cavalier attitude."
http://marvel.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=170216

I can dig that. Interesting way to use his powers though, making fresh water.

I can dig that. Interesting way to use his powers though, making fresh water.
Thats the extent of the responsibilites that Scott handed him out a few months ago. I found that insulting. Im glad that Yost is going to be writing him in more of a leadership role which will get other characters to look at him differently and garner some newfound respect. Im interested in how he's going to pull that off

Well he's been gone for so long that I don't know if the new kids know him as the "irresponsible joker" so if he makes a first impression as a leader,then it'll stick :up:

Well he's been gone for so long that I don't know if the new kids know him as the "irresponsible joker" so if he makes a first impression as a leader,then it'll stick :up:
I think thats why he did good when he led in OZT; bc those around him consisted of newbies. It was really up to him to step up, take charge and defeat Bastion

Uncanny x-men 518

ICEMAN Is second in charge of Utopia,

I have this feeling it's going to be like this

UNCX518_int_Page_6.jpg

next scene will be a shot of bobby taking charge
1259101937.jpg

isn't Storm there? can she not help with the water problem? I don't mind Bobby taking a more proactive role...I just don't want him to become a *****e

isn't Storm there? can she not help with the water problem? I don't mind Bobby taking a more proactive role...I just don't want him to become a *****e
I think Bobby's powers are alot more efficient for this as Storm's has more range and isnt as focused as his

Gawd, I haven't been to this dark place in ages...

Good to see GambitXRemy is here putting up the good fight for Iceman...

Need a lot more Bobby focus. I know they're in the middle of a major event, and every character with the exception of Scott, Emma and the Science team is pretty much just building Utopia. But the last few 'focuses' on Iceman have been to
1) Stick him in the middle of Alex and Annie the nurse
2) Have him hit on every woman that comes along to the mansion
3) Remove his powers, no wait return them, no wait they were never gone and the guy most comfortable with his abilities just 'wished' he didnt have them
4) Ignore every shred of growth he's undergone in the last 10 years and stick him on Rogue's 'nothing team' as the resident joker
5) On said team, have his entire involvement (aside from jokes) be to nail Mystique
6) Create an arc for him in a mini-series and use it to explore bugger all with Mystique getting some kind of revenge for I don't even remember what.

After Second Coming hits, the books are most likely to get revamped as Marvel tends to do this every year after a major event. Hopefully they break down the heavy Scott/Emma focus and allow other characters to branch out. Im hoping Legacy and Uncanny get restructured with a consistent lineup with Bobby on one of those rosters. Id love to see Storm, Jean, Bobby, Archangel, Psylocke, and Collosus together. Its almost like the gold team with Psylocke in for Bishop

In Nation X, it seems like Bobby channeled his inner Michael Phelps. 15,000 calories a day!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"