Comics Iceman

Manic X

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a huge Iceman fan, but lately it's becoming harder and harder to like him as a character. Mainly due to his mistreatment by the writers, or just being flat out neglected.

What's the deal? Why do writers not like using Iceman??? He's one of the originals! Why do I have to read about Pixie, or Armor? Aaarrgh!!

Yes i know, but seeing him for a panel and seeing him do something substansial is a bit different.....

Its nice that he's getting his own Origins issue though...

138xmenoriginsiceman1.jpg

X-MEN ORIGINS: ICEMAN
Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
Art and Cover by PHIL NOTO
The successful X-MEN ORIGINS series continues! In this one-shot, we see the origin of Bobby Drake, A.K.A. ICEMAN! See the small town beginnings that helped forge the coolest mutant of them all! Written by Roberto Aguirre Sacasa (STEPHEN KING’S THE STAND) with fan favorite artist Phil Noto! Don’t miss it!
40 PGS./One-Shot/Rated A …$3.99

That is a pretty nice cover.

There's a Manic X now?!

I'm actually putting together an Iceman proposal to send off to Marvel. Not that I think it'll go anywhere.

But just to let you all know, yes, I do plan to KILL HIM BWAHAHAHA, just to put the poor sap out of his misery.

I remember going on a forum once and being surprised at all the Iceman fans on it. I figure that's its the same case as Gambit: if the writers don't like the character, they won't use him/her no matter how much fans demand it. Why give them attention when you can give Scott and Emma more?

Bitter? Maybe.

It doesn't really matter how many fans a specific character has, outside of obvious exceptions.

In the case of most X-Men characters, the fandom of an individual character especially does not factor in to much. It's best to think of the X-Men as a collective character, and thus the catering must be done to the whole.

That is to say: if someone is a fan of Iceman, chances are good they're a fan of the X-Men in general. But the person who is a fan of the X-Men in general is not necessarily a fan of Iceman.

Us Iceman fans won't be satisfied until a rabid Iceman fanboy gets the chance to write for Marvel. In other words, we need our own Mike Carey. Just not Mike Carey himself. We don't need to see Bobby making out with Mystique anymore.

It's best to think of the X-Men as a collective character, and thus the catering must be done to the whole.
Exactly. But they aren't catering to the whole. The writers this time around seem to have specific favourite characters whom they dote on and give all the interesting storylines to.
Us Iceman fans won't be satisfied until a rabid Iceman fanboy gets the chance to write for Marvel. In other words, we need our own Mike Carey. Just not Mike Carey himself. We don't need to see Bobby making out with Mystique anymore.
Or he would use Iceman's popularity to lure people into his boring stories about Rogue. I'm not bitter. :o

They aren't catering to the whole? Outside of, I suppose, random obscure characters, who has not been seen in the past year in an X-book?

We'll leave Astonishing out of it, because it's an All-star book and, yes, oh gosh, duplicates characters. Boo, hiss, all that, by the balls of everyone, we don't need to hear it again.

Uncanny has a huge cast and has done a fair job of moving characters around. The book is essentially juggling two core teams - the X-Men and the X-Club - and, at least in the case of the former, moves characters in as is appropriate. Whether you - and that's a general, grouping "you" - like the storylines or the characters or not is irrelevant. Fraction isn't flawless, and no comic writer is, but he's doing a fair job with it. The core characters are assumedly picked due to their importance as decided at the X-summits - and no surprise that Cyclops and Emma are among this number, and then the X-Club, given Fraction's plans with/for them - and peripheral characters come in after. We've seen Nightcrawler moments. Iceman's running around with Cyclops against the Dark X-Men, so even if he's not 100% out there and in your face, he's clearly not forgotten. There was the Colossus mini-plot, which is literally the most that's happened with Colossus since Whedon decided to have him get his *** stomped by a couple of Breakworlders. Yes, I'm sure Fraction has favorite characters, though I'm not so ignorant as to speculate - but if he's using his favored characters, this is no different than if your Messianic writer came in to make everything icey. You just don't like it as much. Keep it in perspective.

Legacy has its own little thing, and I suppose I'll wait for a few more issues before I say for sure, but - I'd say I liked the title more when it was starring Xavier. Of course, there's only so much that can be done with that. If it does start to bring in younger X-Men, it might go well.

New Mutants concerns itself with, I'm assuming since I'm not reading it, said group of mutants. A few of them are still seen over in Uncanny from time to time, but whatever.

X-Force has those characters, of whom only Domino and Elixir, I think, are generally seen in Uncanny.

And X-Factor is X-Factor. You know, here's an idea - since everyone loves humping Peter David's leg (and yes, I do enjoy X-Factor for what it is - don't think I hate it), and he loves taking all the discarded characters, maybe you all should start raising questions as to why he hasn't pulled Iceman out of the horrible, horrible trash heap. Ha. :p

Also, the current approach to the core X-books is a very Morrisonian approach. And as Grant Morrison said regarding we fan-peoples, "We have to stop talking to the shrinking fan audience and re-engage the attention of the mainstream. Longtime fans will read the book and ***** about it NO MATTER WHAT."

Personally, I'm happy they have regressed 616 Iceman to some version of his movie counterpart, which they almost turned the Ultimate character into.

And X-Factor is X-Factor. You know, here's an idea - since everyone loves humping Peter David's leg (and yes, I do enjoy X-Factor for what it is - don't think I hate it), and he loves taking all the discarded characters, maybe you all should start raising questions as to why he hasn't pulled Iceman out of the horrible, horrible trash heap. Ha. :p
I'm too busy wishing David would get ahold of one of the New/Young kids, and drag them through the mud.

They aren't catering to the whole? Outside of, I suppose, random obscure characters, who has not been seen in the past year in an X-book?
Its not a question of seeing the character, it is a matter of them doing something interesting. What good is it seeing a character appear every now and them if they never do anything interesting or important in their appearances?

The writers are only focusing on a small group of characters. In true storytelling, a writer tries to write every major character well and give them significance. It seems to me that the X-writers are not concerned with doing any such thing at the moment.

I would hate it if Bobby went over to X-factor. I think he would be best fit over in Legacy. Im surprised Carey hasnt taken him on board

Its not a question of seeing the character, it is a matter of them doing something interesting. What good is it seeing a character appear every now and them if they never do anything interesting or important in their appearances?
Well, at least you know they're not in limbo. :woot: I jest, I jest. Really. I kid the fans.

The writers are only focusing on a small group of characters. In true storytelling, a writer tries to write every major character well and give them significance. It seems to me that the X-writers are not concerned with doing any such thing at the moment.
I'd call that a pretty haphazard definition of "true storytelling," which in and of itself I'd call a pretty haphazard term. I mostly just wanted to use "haphazard" twice in that sentence, honestly. Or - and don't take this the wrong way - you have no idea how to plan out a serialized 22-page format.
This definition might work if you were working with a small cast of characters. Let's say, a Bat-family book meant to use every major character of the Bat-family, so, let's say, Batman, Robin, Nightwing (well, let's go with before Final Crisis, shall we?), Gordon, Oracle, and maybe Huntress. And maybe some others for random cameos. Even in that case, with such a small cast, I don't imagine readers seeing their favorite character on an issue-to-issue basis. Not to mention, room for the villains? And not every arc would feature each character in some level of significance.

Over on IDW's new G.I. Joe, Chuck Dixon's not doing a half-bad job. Yes, laugh if you will at G.I. Joe, and while he went very, very, very decompressed on some of the initial issues which did not work so very well at all, he's done a decent job of handling what is, in actuality, a huge cast on par with the X-Men whole, and introducing some of those characters. But you know what? Certain characters are more important, and are featured more often. Duke's been in almost every issue thus far, if not all of them, as has Scarlett. Snake Eyes has been in only a few. Stalker? Only a few. Flint? Barely any. Shipwreck? One or two, depending on whether you count the introductory #0. Cover Girl just got introduced and has been in maybe ten panels total between two or three issues. The only villains we've met are The Baroness and Destro. And no, not every Joe is doing something "significant" as per your definition of "true storytelling."

There's a vast difference between the two books - well, between the real book and the hypothetical book. But G.I. Joe is closer to the reality of Uncanny X-Men. Like I've already said, Fraction can't use -everyone.- I suppose he could go on a month-to-month basis highlighting individual characters or certain characters, but then everyone would complain that the book isn't going anywhere, and rightly so. With such a large cast, there's only so much juggling that can occur, and that juggling is embodied by the X-Club stories, as that's where the current extra focus is. Maybe you don't like that, but like or dislike has nothing to do with the value of the title.

A large cast changes the rules entirely. Most of Charles Dickens's fiction - which, yes, was serialized in publication - dealt with smaller casts and focused on specific characters, and even in small casts a number of characters were glossed over to make more room for the more central cast. Look at "Hard Times." What Dickens wrote, and who Dickens wrote, he made sure he had enough room for. A 22-page serialized medium has even less room, even if it comes out more often.

I dunno, I was going somewhere specific with that, but I got sidetracked with a phone call and don't remember. Oh well. Someone come tell me I'm wrong and Iceman's more important than narrative structure or sensical writing.

If you have a cast of characters as extensive as that of the X-men, it is silly to focus on, like 3 of them all the time and leave out the many other interesting characters because they are not your personal favourites. Especially when they have been focused on in the past. Writers can have favourite characters, but when said characters are developed extensively at the expense of other important and well-liked characters' development, that is rather amateurish.

Oh, and by the way, Grant Morrison is very overrated.

You know what would solve this problem many of us have with Fraction trying to juggle so many characters? The core X-titles being squad-based again. But apparently nobody who works at Marvel likes that old way of doing things.

Uncanny is primarily about Cyclops being leader of mutants. So obvisously the book will most always focus on him and his closest people i.e. Emma (girlfriend), Beast (right hand man),

That is why we see the same core characters.

If they kept changing the roster round every couple of issues for the sake of it, we would have no clue as to where we are at.

Each new character will appear, when they are needed.
Just wait till there's a fire, for some Iceman action. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"