Arrow Idea on How to Include Other DC Characters

mr. peasant

Sidekick
Reaction score
Based on everything we've seen in Arrow, as well as the genre and setting the show has firmly established itself in, everything seems to point that we won't be seeing superpowered superheroes making an appearance. Which effectively locks out the majority of DC's big names from possibly making an appearance.

Or does it?

A thought occurred to me that one cool way for Arrow to incorporate other DC characters would be to this: Instead of having them appear in their superhero identities, the show could instead use their civilian identities; with no indication whatsoever that they are anything but regular humans with no special abilities.

So, for instance... instead of seeing Superman, the Flash and Green Lantern fighting crime, we instead meet Clark Kent (Superman, duh) the reporter, Barry Allen (Flash) the technician who works at the Starling City Crime Lab, and Hal Jordan the Air Force pilot; be it as Easter egg cameos, one off characters or in a recurring role.

Would that work? Or do you reckon comic book fans would raise a ruckus and complain about the depowering of their favourite superheroes?

I'd like to see a pre superhero test pilot Hal Jordan ending up working along side Arrow after discovering corrupt dealings between Queen Industries and Ferris Aircraft. Jordan can display the character that will eventually lead to his becoming a Green Lantern. The villain of the episode could be a reworking of a classic villain from the GA/GL issues from the 70's.

Based on everything we've seen in Arrow, as well as the genre and setting the show has firmly established itself in, everything seems to point that we won't be seeing superpowered superheroes making an appearance. Which effectively locks out the majority of DC's big names from possibly making an appearance.

Or does it?

A thought occurred to me that one cool way for Arrow to incorporate other DC characters would be to this: Instead of having them appear in their superhero identities, the show could instead use their civilian identities; with no indication whatsoever that they are anything but regular humans with no special abilities.

So, for instance... instead of seeing Superman, the Flash and Green Lantern fighting crime, we instead meet Clark Kent (Superman, duh) the reporter, Barry Allen (Flash) the technician who works at the Starling City Crime Lab, and Hal Jordan the Air Force pilot; be it as Easter egg cameos, one off characters or in a recurring role.

Would that work? Or do you reckon comic book fans would raise a ruckus and complain about the depowering of their favourite superheroes?

I actually think all of your ideas could work. Some fans might complain, though I think most would appreciate the nod.

The thing is DC does have a lot of non-powered characters that they can use on Arrow. Granted you did ask about the 'big' names. But it's funny that the biggest name Batman is non-powered, yet totally off limits to Arrow.

As it stands, I would rather see some of the more non-powered and/or obscure characters from the DC universe than the big names. I think it's cool to have these guys get a little more sunlight.

I would like to see Vigilante in the series.

Vigilante_Dave_Winston_001.jpg

Vigilante_Sketch_1_by_JamalIgle1.jpg

vigilante_bike.jpg

Last edited:
I would enjoy non-powered cameos personally. I think with Clark Kent though you have the issue that... he is powered, and if he's Daily Planet CK, we should be hearing news about Superman on TV pretty soon... but we won't, so that one's a bad idea.

I think they're on the right track, using non-powered B and C list DC characters... because otherwise, if you show Barry Allen non-powered, people will soon want him back powered and then Arrow loses some of it's pathos and a lot of its budget.

I would enjoy non-powered cameos personally. I think with Clark Kent though you have the issue that... he is powered, and if he's Daily Planet CK, we should be hearing news about Superman on TV pretty soon... but we won't, so that one's a bad idea.

No, we wouldn't - at least, not in my original idea. Rather, Clark Kent is just a regular human who's a reporter and not the last son of Krypton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"