• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If Nintedo's Wii wants to become the next PS2 it needs more mature games.

Kritish

Avenger
Reaction score
The Playstation 2 was the most popular of the last gen because it kept a balance of M rated games with its line of E to T games. The wii is doing good but it won't appeal to the teenager and adult base as much if it continues to do the "cute" games only. It was a smart move to release Call of Duty 3 (its controls were a little weird but that's not the point).
Games like "Rayman raving Rabbids" is fine, but you can't base a consule on those types of games alone (the gamecube tried and failed).

Okay....how many times are these Nintendo needs more mature game threads gonna be made? I agree, but this topic has been beaten to hell.

Okay....how many times are these Nintendo needs more mature game threads gonna be made? I agree, but this topic has been beaten to hell.

I agree. Hell, Scarface and The Godfather both are coming the Wii.

The Playstation 2 was the most popular of the last gen because it kept a balance of M rated games with its line of E to T games. The wii is doing good but it won't appeal to the teenager and adult base as much if it continues to do the "cute" games only. It was a smart move to release Call of Duty 3 (its controls were a little weird but that's not the point).
Games like "Rayman raving Rabbids" is fine, but you can't base a consule on those types of games alone (the gamecube tried and failed).

Yeah, we all know only adults and teenagers buy video games :rolleyes:

The Wii has had as many cute games as other consoles have during their release.

What they need is a wide scope of compelling content that hits on every niche (that's what made the PS2 so sucessful where married with the backbone of the bigger IPs). PS2 ports with tacked on controls aren't going to cut that unless they put some more effort into it.

I don't think the wii will become the "it" consule because it tries too much to appeal to the non-gamer. The non-gamers aren't the one's that will read every bit of info they can about it, buy all the games they can afford and ect.
The 360 might not be doing very well in Japan but it's doing good everywhere else. Due to the fact that it has a history (people fell in love with the original Xbox) and it does its best to appeal to real gamers.

I don't think the wii will become the "it" consule because it tries too much to appeal to the non-gamer. The non-gamers aren't the one's that will read every bit of info they can about it, buy all the games they can afford and ect.

It is appealing to hardcore games, casual gamers (the people who play an hour a week), and non-gamers. Nintendo wants a big audience. They don't care about people reading everything about their console. All they want is sales. That is the case with all companies.

The 360 might not be doing very well in Japan but it's doing good everywhere else. Due to the fact that it has a history (people fell in love with the original Xbox) and it does its best to appeal to real gamers.

What do you mean real gamers? The hardcore crowd that plays GTA for hours on end? They are only a small percent of the market. If a company were to specifically appeal to them, they'd go broke. You have to appeal to everyone to be successful. that's why the 360 has games like Gears of War to games like Viva Pinata.

Seriously, Scarface and The Godfather? Those were both flops and are created by EA games. :rolleyes:

What ? Not Scarface. I thought Scarface did well and that it was created by the developers who made Simpsons Road Rage.

Seriously, Scarface and The Godfather? Those were both flops and are created by EA games. :rolleyes:

So? It's not as if those will be the only M games ever released on the Wii.

Meh, the Wii already is the "it" console. I work with games and people every single day. We get Wii's they sell out. We get people of all ages, shapes, sizes, race, creed you name it asking for a Wii.

Denying it success because there are no "hard R" titles right now is...dumb. Key to success this generation is not going to be a repeat of last gen. People want different things now, the Wii is different.

Am I saying the Wii will be #1 this gen? No, but it has just as good of a shot as the other two.

I think Nintendo has made it pretty clear they don't care if the Wii is the next PS2. They're trying a different business model than their competitors and thereby sitting out the console war altogether. They just do what they know best -- walk the line between fresh and familiar, for as little cost as possible.

I mean, c'mon -- they've got people running out to spend $200 so they can go online and spend even more money to play twenty-year-old games. Their big 'launch title' was a game they already paid to develop for Cube. Not to mention that the 'new system' itself could have easily been a controller periphial for the last one. Talk about a cash cow. The big N's doin' just fine, and Rayman games got nothin' to do with it.

-- END!

I think Nintendo has made it pretty clear they don't care if the Wii is the next PS2. They're trying a different business model than their competitors and thereby sitting out the console war altogether. They just do what they know best -- walk the line between fresh and familiar, for as little cost as possible.

I mean, c'mon -- they've got people running out to spend $200 so they can go online and spend even more money to play twenty-year-old games. Their big 'launch title' was a game they already paid to develop for Cube. Not to mention that the 'new system' itself could have easily been a controller periphial for the last one. Talk about a cash cow. The big N's doin' just fine, and Rayman games got nothin' to do with it.

-- END!

in other words afraid of competition. which is just plain sad. where a compnay like MS can manage to ovetop a company who has been in the game for what 20 years now? sad indeed.

Funny, its that same attitude thats outselling everything.

in other words afraid of competition. which is just plain sad. where a compnay like MS can manage to ovetop a company who has been in the game for what 20 years now? sad indeed.

Who has Microsoft toppled? The 360, like its predecessor, is a joke in Japan. You forget that Nintendo and Sony fight for their home turf first, since it is their premiere market and that's where they see their biggest profit margins. Asia don't know Bill like we do, and his machine, while grabbing more third-party support than the first Box, has a growing selection with little appeal in that region.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing the system. I love video games period, and don't care what name is etched on the machine they play in, as long as the game is good. To be fair, 360 began the next-gen movement and built a strong library for this market in its first year. Live service is fantastic, and blows away Sony's and Nintendo's attempts at the same endeavor.

Nonetheless, the DS is the number one gaming platform in Japan. Wii's sales are strong thanks to a low price point, and the demand is being very artfully kept alive by trickling its distribution. Meanwhile, over a year after its launch, 360 sits in wait of its first killer app; mere months out of the womb the PS3 sits in neat little pyramids at the local Best Buy.

You mentioned fear. Well, yes, I think you're right. But why is that sad, exactly? Fear is healthy, when it's rational. It tempers your actions with caution, makes you humble, and keeps you alert. Yes, Nintendo's been in the home console business for twenty-three years. Before that, they were in the arcades. Before that, they made playing cards. Their histoy goes back for multiple generations, why? Because they adapt with the times, and look ahead for ways to nudge the entertainment market into line with their vision instead of just trying to one-up the guy next to them.

Nintendo had no fear, once. Once upon a time, when they laughed at a company that made tape decks and TV's who wanted to partner up with them on a new joint endeavor. The newcomer insisted that CD-ROMs were the only logical next format. Nintendo staunchly stuck to cartridges, fearing the loss in profits from using a media so easily pirated. When the little guy threatened to go on its own, take its technology and become a competitor, the King of Consoles laughed and laughed.

Go on, they said, peddle your "Playstation." See if we care.

Need I tell the rest of that tale?

You bet they've learned fear. Its that fear that's kept them alive. No one is the king forever, but with careful planning, you might take back the throne in years to come with a new offspring from the old blood.

-- END!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"