If You See a Beggar, Do You Give Them Money?

Yeah, another time I was about to visit a strip club.

I had about 200 bucks. This homeless guy starts talking to me as I approach the place.

He explains they got shut down. He seemed straight forwatd and good natured so we talk for a short while.

So as I"m about to leave I consider giving him the usual 5 bucks.

But something clicks. I was about to spend all that money on naked women for the cheap thrill.

So I take all the money and hand 200 to this guy.

I explain to him, I don't care how he spends it. I tell him if he buys wine to "drink it up, enjoy it".

Unexpectedly the man starts balling like a baby. He tells me it was enough money to turn his life around. He thanks me at least ten more times.

To this day this is one of my proudest moments. Something I can replay at the pearly gates to give me an outside chance.

I think if you're in a City, at least give your leftovers.

They are always at the same spots.

I think that's because it's like their home. They, like everyone else, like to keep some things the same. Surprisingly you grow used to them as well. There was one young homeless guy that I liked seeing outside of the local AMC that I would walk by and give money to from time to time. He seemed cool and down to earth. Then one day he wasn't there and hasn't been there since. Oddly miss seeing him and hope things got better and that's why he's not there anymore. But, yeah - think it's because those places are a "home" to them and they don't like to stray far.

My closest city has regular legitimate beggars and homeless people and as far as I can tell they all have their own routes and spots. They may no have four walls and roof, but they do "stake out claims" on spots.

And if you ever do walk into a homeless person's area dont treat their area like you would any other random area on the street. If its where they sleep or spend the day they probably dont want it treated any differently than youd want you own room or personal space treated. Some may not care but others do.

Absolutely not.
I live in a metropolitan area.
Never encountered a beggar who wasn't there by choice or to feed a need for drugs.

I see the same scum litter the street year after year, stepping up to people, begging, making up stories, and then later I'll see them in a corner with a glass pipe in hand smoking away the charity they received.

On multiple occasions where I was feeling generous and one of these "people" came up to me I would offer to bring them to eat. One looked at me with hesitation, and after asked if he could have the remaining change from the transaction.

Another was going through his pre-fab speech about how he was hungry, on the street for such and such a reason, he just needed said amount of money, et cetera... I had purchased a few slices and felt greedy so I said, here friend have one of these... He looked at me in confusion and said he would rather have the money.

On another such time I handed a beggar a burger, and I may as well have defecated in his hand... He couldn't smoke or drink that burger, what the hell?

And then there is Richard, guy I went to highschool with, sits on his ass with his cutesy "need money for zombie apocalypse" sign and his roommates dog. He scoffs at the fact that I am a wage slave, collects welfare, isn't homeless, but is just another ****ing parasite preying off of suckers.

There are a million better things to put your money into.
If you really have a soft spot for beggars in general, than give money to a homeless shelter.

I'm not going to go quite so far, but I will say this; every time you see a beggar and intuitively feel like giving him or her money, just ignore them but make a mental note, like a checkmark, in your head. Then go home and make a tick on your calendar.

At the end of each month, count your ticks. Multiply that by the amount of money that you might normally donate to a given beggar.

Then donate that money to an actual charity. If you belong to a church with a food program, donate it to your church. Or donate it to your local food bank; they can buy more with $5 than you can, or that a beggar can.

That way, you know that A) you money is definitely going to feed someone in need, B) that your money is going to be used in a cost-effective way, C) you are effectively rewarding people in need who actually proactively seek out the resources that are designed to help them, and D) you get a tax receipt, which likely benefits you.

Problem solved.

I'm not going to go quite so far, but I will say this; every time you see a beggar and intuitively feel like giving him or her money, just ignore them but make a mental note, like a checkmark, in your head. Then go home and make a tick on your calendar.

At the end of each month, count your ticks. Multiply that by the amount of money that you might normally donate to a given beggar.

Then donate that money to an actual charity. If you belong to a church with a food program, donate it to your church. Or donate it to your local food bank; they can buy more with $5 than you can, or that a beggar can.

That way, you know that A) you money is definitely going to feed someone in need, B) that your money is going to be used in a cost-effective way, C) you are effectively rewarding people in need who actually proactively seek out the resources that are designed to help them, and D) you get a tax receipt, which likely benefits you.

Problem solved.

I'd rather donate to Extensive Enterprises. :yay:

Problem solved.

Amen!
There is zero reason to give an individual beggar any money, as they obviously are awful with money and won't get what they need with it.

MessiahDecoy can do what he wants with his money, obviously he's a grown man but giving 200 dollars to a homeless person... That's ridiculous, no good will come of it apart from some deluded self-satisfaction.

I guess you missed the part where I was going to spend the money in a filthy strip club.

Or the fact that I didn't care if he spent the money on booze.

Clearly he was alot worse off than myself or any stripper. If I made him feel like he hit the lottery for one day then why the hell not?

If you're going to burn money, at least make a homeless person feel like a king for a day in the process.

I guess you missed the part where I was going to spend the money in a filthy strip club.

Well, clearly you made the right decision, when faced with just those two options, and clearly ONLY two options, of taking the extraneous $200 in your pocket and either spending it on a severely at-risk young woman or severely at-risk older man. You made hard "Sophie's Choice" decision any of us would have made when faced with that intractable dilemma.

:hehe: Seriously man, I'm just busting your balls, I get where you're coming from, but I'm just saying if you walked up to your local food back and plunked down $200 on the counter and said, "Here you go," they would have been able to help A LOT of people with that money, and you would have gotten a much better feeling from it, trust me.

I hope you got laid or something later that night. I feel like the universe at least owed you that much.

Clearly he was alot worse off than myself or any stripper. If I made him feel like he hit the lottery for one day then why the hell not?

If you're going to burn money, at least make a homeless person feel like a king for a day in the process.

Not to imply that a lot of strippers aren't notorious substance abusers, but some legit are selling themselves and saving for better things, and are more industrious than the average wino.

Plus giving 200 dollars to a homeless guy might just be enough to kill him, might have him drink until his liver shuts down, or have him put more up his arm than he usually does.

Obviously it is your prerogative how you spend your money but honestly don't think it did anyone any good apart from yourself.

That 200 bucks would have been much better distributed at a homeless shelter where it could have feed hundreds instead of enabling some guy to slowly kill himself.

Maybe he spent the money on gallons of Jack Daniels and drank it all in one night.

Or much more likely he had enough money for food, essential items and daily beer for an entire week.

I mean, experienced alcoholics typically know how to pace themselves unless they are trying to kill themselves intentionally.

Unexpectedly the man starts balling like a baby. He tells me it was enough money to turn his life around. He thanks me at least ten more times.

That reaction sounds like a solid deed.

Is it just around me or are the vast majority of beggars men?

Eh, you've probably have donated countless of times, in fact you're probably a VIP & probably sport a suit just like the executives do. :sly:

Hey, I'm not to blame, I only work there for the paycheque and the dental plan. Also, the first Monday of every month Xamot brings in mini-muffins for the staff. (as depicted in Sunbow episode #232: Mini-Muffin Mondays ... of Doom!).

People are more predisposed to assisting women than men.

Being a beggar is a dangerous occupation; I imagine fewer women are willing to go that route. Also, maybe unfortunately, women have a few more terrible options they can resort to when they are in those circumstances.

Maybe he spent the money on gallons of Jack Daniels and drank it all in one night.

Or much more likely he had enough money for food, essential items and daily beer for an entire week.

I mean, experienced alcoholics typically know how to pace themselves unless they are trying to kill themselves intentionally.

It'd be funny if he used that money in the strip club anyway.

You're a good, kind person. I would've told him to **** off and go watch the strippers. :woot:

Most of the ones around here are jackasses or just refuse to work. The few that need money have several shelters very close to where they are, it's a fairly small city, that can help them get jobs. The others tend to be jerks about it.

There's a lot of teens/young adults that sit on the street with their Iphones and chat while begging for money then go into Starbucks and drink their $8 coffee outside while still begging for money. I have no pity for them since a lot wear better clothes than I do.

I have issues with the beggers that don't do something to earn money due to my Saturday job at the Farmers Market. There's always people there playing guitar or something and that's fine. I've tossed them a few bucks but we get several that wander through the crowds in front of my stall and just pester every single person that walks by. It's annoying as **** since everyone tries to avoid them and I lose business due to them so we chase them off.

Only food...no money. I've bought many meals and I donate food to the shelter during the holidays. I never give my hard earned money to someone begging. Some pan handlers make more than I make. Some buy booze or drugs. Some actually need it. For those people, I'll buy them a meal any day.

My dad likes to pay off layaways at Walmart or Kmart during Christmas and I've been with him when he has paid for other people's meals at diners without those people knowing but he taught me to never give money to beggars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"