If You See a Beggar, Do You Give Them Money?

As for beggars, most line the high traffic areas here. Some intersections see 20-40 cars each light on my way to work. The lights last 2 minutes. Imagine if they can get $1 from each light. That is $30/an hour untaxed. Say they only get $1 every other light. That's more than minimum wage...untaxed.

I donate to charities.

In Germany, a lot of the beggars are actually gypsies and if you give them money, they let the other "beggars" in the area know that you have money and they can become really aggressive.

I would only ever give food to a homeless person. Giving money will do them zero good.

When I was younger I used to give money to beggars and folks asking for change. I'm now in the habit of having gift cards to restaurants/fast food places; I'll offer those instead of money and its downright shocking how often those are rejected. I'm not homeless but if someone offers me a $5 Burger King gift card I'm taking it.

Being a beggar is a dangerous occupation; I imagine fewer women are willing to go that route. Also, maybe unfortunately, women have a few more terrible options they can resort to when they are in those circumstances.

The sad reality is that no women can be on the streets for more than an hour without being swept up by a predator, "processed", and set up to be sold.

Most of the ones around here are jackasses or just refuse to work. The few that need money have several shelters very close to where they are, it's a fairly small city, that can help them get jobs. The others tend to be jerks about it.

There's a lot of teens/young adults that sit on the street with their Iphones and chat while begging for money then go into Starbucks and drink their $8 coffee outside while still begging for money. I have no pity for them since a lot wear better clothes than I do.

I have issues with the beggers that don't do something to earn money due to my Saturday job at the Farmers Market. There's always people there playing guitar or something and that's fine. I've tossed them a few bucks but we get several that wander through the crowds in front of my stall and just pester every single person that walks by. It's annoying as **** since everyone tries to avoid them and I lose business due to them so we chase them off.

That's the thing.
The ones that really need help go through the avenues set up by society to support them in their times of need.
Like that *****e I went to highschool with, he literally scoffs at those who give him money, and actually looks down on those who work.

And the anarchist/punks with the sown on patches and spikes and a troop of dogs usually have a nice home in the suburbs to go back too if they really need it, but this is their way of giving a middle finger to society and to you, the sucker who falls for their b.s.

The rest are mostly just junkies and drunks.

When I was younger I used to give money to beggars and folks asking for change. I'm now in the habit of having gift cards to restaurants/fast food places; I'll offer those instead of money and its downright shocking how often those are rejected. I'm not homeless but if someone offers me a $5 Burger King gift card I'm taking it.

That's the thing right.
Their need to fulfill their addiction is so pervasive that food seems useless as that won't fix their need.

I have given out those prepaid debit cards before. They're not cash and can't be sold for cash unless they wanna go through a bunch of red tape.

I have given out those prepaid debit cards before. They're not cash and can't be sold for cash unless they wanna go through a bunch of red tape.

Are these things made so you can't get cashback from them?

If they ask me for change I usually tell them change comes from within.

Not all homeless people are grifters.

You have to judge these things on a case by case scenario.

Like I said earlier, I saw an elderly man eating food out of a garbage can.

There's no reason not to help someone like that.

I don't want to support their drug habit. If I have leftovers I will give it to them, but I have had them turn food down before so what are you going to do.

I once broke down at a major intersection in a dangerous spot, and the homeless people working the corners came out into the intersection, directed traffic, and pushed me to safety in a parking lot. I was out of work several months myself at the time, had no cash, and felt terrible that I couldn't give more than a thank you.

I've also been targeted by the same woman years apart in completely different locations with the same story about being in town for her sister's funeral, her newborn in a hotel with no food, and she needs help.

There are the decent ones who need a leg up, the ones who are seeking to feed addictions, and those who are despicable liars. It's hard to sometimes tell the first two apart, but the third type is easy. I more or less never have cash on me, so not giving to them is usually a default no. When I do, I know which street corners in the area have the honest people who need help. I'll always give cash at Christmas time to whomever is at that one intersection where I broke down years ago. I never give to anyone who corners me at a gas station or grocery store, or to anyone who seems to know where the nearest ATM is located.

Mostly, all my spare money gets allocated to help rescue pets and some children's cancer and hospital funds (my wife's and nephew's histories).

Ive been in the situation before where I legitimately believed the person(s) were needing food and water. In that case I've purchased them some food and water, but I will not give them cash for various reasons. I'd say most of the time I've been engaged by a "begger" I've felt confident that I was able to get a vibe of their legitimacy or not. but at the same time you cant always tell for sure. but If I feel confident and I am in a position to help I will.

Like the above if it's the same sob story for years, that is a grift. There is one dude that has been trying to "get bus fare to reach the homeless shelter" for like three years now that I have seen working in the city. And a lot of them will target the more naive tourists as opposed to the people they know that work or live in the city.

Are these things made so you can't get cashback from them?

You'd have to go online to sell them at like a fraction of the cost.

I'm in DC so I see a lot of homeless and panhandlers. Most of the time I don't give them anything because I don't carry cash. If I do have some cash on me and it's not one of the local yocals that panhandle the same spot for years while they could clearly be working, I'd give something to them. You see the same ones over and over again and can tell who really needs it vs those that make more panhandling than working a job.

A lot of panhandlers work it like a job and go home to a house. It's their job. Those people get nothing from me.

It depends what the situation is. I have given money to homeless people before. But I also gave money to - a dollar - to someone who needed an extra dollar to buy a train ticket. Also are the people who play music on the street and have a box to collect money are they begging for money??

Like playing an instrument? They're not begging per se since they are using an actual acquired skill, so technically they are working. Hell, there is this british dude dressed up like a ****ing 1920s magician that does magic tricks near Michigan Ave. and he be making some cheddar.

It depends what the situation is. I have given money to homeless people before. But I also gave money to - a dollar - to someone who needed an extra dollar to buy a train ticket. Also are the people who play music on the street and have a box to collect money are they begging for money??

Busking is a job; they are providing a service, in my city and in many others they actually have a license to do it (which costs money, which means they are actually contributing to the public good by paying the local government for a busking license), and hopefully adding flavour to the neighbourhood. Most notably, they aren't "begging" because they aren't actually asking people for anything.

I knew a busker who pulled in over $100,000 a year. He had a prime location, though. Right downtown next to the LRT which brought people home from hockey games.

i dont know whats its like in the rest of the uk, but around belfast yeah there is a lot fo legit homeless, but they are vastly outnumbered by scam artists and "refugees"

most of these try and sell the issue, a rip of of the big issue but they only ever have one copy and wont ever part with it. ive also noticed that a lot of them wear the same coat, blanket and hoody, not similar ones the exact same ones make, colour design.

this is the problem and so hard to spot a real helpless person. hell in the space of a month 5 were found dead in the city center

Sometimes. I am around the same neighbourhoods enough that I know who needs the money and who doesn't. I prefer to give gift cards for restaurants or food if I can (I rarely use the gift cards myself, if ever), but occasionally I'll give a bit of money.

No, I never give money to people on the street. As harsh as it may sound, I just don't want to spend my hard earned money, possibly, supporting someone's drug or drinking habit.

I donate to charities when possible, but my money does not go into anyone's hand on the street.

The only time I gave someone cash was in downtown Houston. He had a sign the read "Why lie, I just want some beer." Gave him a few bucks because he was being honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"