#8 - BioShock
#7 - Halo 2
#6 - GoldenEye
#5 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
#4 - Halo: Combat Evolved
#3 - Half-Life 2
#2 - Doom
#1 - Half-Life

Overall decent list but I think Blood is one big omission. They have a lot of the forgotten greats from the 90s, but that didn't make the list. Also I think if 1 Killzone had to make it in there, it should have been 2 which was superior to 3. I also think Resistance needed a mention, either 2 or 3.

Glad Unreal Tournament ranked as high as it did as that was one of my faves. Ditto on Swat 4. Both games need next gen sequels. although Id be more inclined to play them on a PC. Its a shame that both have been in hibernation for so long

Had no clue that there was a Star Wars FPS, let alone that many

Last edited:
Am I the only one who felt that half life and half life two were kinda boring?

Nope, I thought they were really boring. Overall good list though

So there is only two that feel that way.

Great list. Half-Life is still my favorite game of all time. Truly a revolution. I would have switched Wolfenstein 3D and Bioshock however.

That and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was my favorite of the "trilogy". But all three of them were great. Jedi Knight though was very revolutionary for it's day. One of the few FPS's with a solid story interwoven. And the choice between good/evil was first done here for an action game.

I don't think Halo 2 deserves to be in the top 50, nevermind the top 10.

Good list I guess? I'm never sure what the point of these things are.

I don't think Halo 2 deserves to be in the top 50, nevermind the top 10.

Good list I guess? I'm never sure what the point of these things are.

I would agree with that. The only reason I would think it was there was because of being the first true massive popular "actual online" console shooter. That is what I figure.

That and System Shock was not a FPS but a first person RPG, I hate when I see that. Bioshock I see more so as because it's more action oriented, but SS was truly an RPG. But sad to see Perfect Dark so far down the list.

[YT]RluZuxrIh7A[/YT]
I LOVED Blood. Anyone else remember it? It should have been included. Truly an awesome game

What this list inspired me to do is try to hunt down some of these games. Classics I havent touched in ages but it brought back a lot of memories

Oh and I think Duke Nukem 3D is too low at 21. Its top 10 material if not top 5 for me. Theres a reason why Forever was one of the most anticipated sequel ever (even if it never lived up to the huge hype by the time it was released)

Blood was a classic that hardly anyone played. The sequel sadly was terrible but Caleb was so awesome. Some of the best weapons. But yes I have a lot of memories flooding back. Heretic, Heretic II was actually one of the greatest games, but it got overshadowed by HL when it came out in 98. But Heretic II was a superb third person shooter. Hexen was pretty good too. But ya good old Duke, back in the day when he was awesome.

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 were superb games, Monolith was awesome back in the day. Also I don't see it on there but does anyone remember Shogo?

Ya maybe he meant UT 2004 and forgot.

The person who compiled that didn't did a typo. Unreal Tournament 2003 is 88 and the original is 16

Oh and Rise of The Triad was awesome. I remember playing that off of some shareware disc my dad got me. I played alot of these games via shareware and never got the later episodes

i never understood the fascination with Half-Life

those games bored the hell out of me

90 is a little high, I would have had it in the 50s. It's a good game but huge disappointment coming from bfbc 2 also inferior to it

Half-Life is my favorite video game of all time, but sharing the same views as IGN is heresy! :p

EDIT: looking at the list further I see myself surprisingly agreeing with many of those and disagreeing with only a few of those, Call of Duty 4 being 5? That seems too high, glad to see Serious Sam is on the list at 51! A lot of those shooters are great but I think the most recent shooters like the Halo:Reach/Black Ops and onwards in those series don't deserve spots so high on the list...

Last edited:
Nice to see F.E.A.R. in the lower half of the list. One of my fave shooters.

I'm surprised to see Doom II at number 49, maybe I'm in a minority but I enjoy it more than first one. While both are great I just find 2 better, and with Quake it's the reverse. And I guess the first two Thief games don't count as shooters. :( I've always put those with the likes of Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Also just noticed my favorite Star Wars games are back to back, Dark Forces and Jedi Outcast.

Half-Life is my favorite video game of all time, but sharing the same views as IGN is heresy! :p

EDIT: looking at the list further I see myself surprisingly agreeing with many of those and disagreeing with only a few of those, Call of Duty 4 being 5? That seems too high, glad to see Serious Sam is on the list at 51! A lot of those shooters are great but I think the most recent shooters like the Halo:Reach/Black Ops and onwards in those series don't deserve spots so high on the list...

No Modern Warfare deserves to be that high and I wouldn't be upset if it was higher. The recent CoD may be done to death but back when 4 was released, it was a bit more original. The thing was a phenomenon and put the modern day shooter on the map like none before it. That was the game that really went big and gained it more mainstream appeal and inspired so many copycats and even other series who weren't set in modern day, adopted their online setup, control scheme, etc... While some may consider the way its spread and taken over the gaming culture a bad thing, CoD4 in and of itself was an amazing game and what it accomplished cant be understated. Top 5 seems about right for it. Im not a fan of the current CoDs, but I loved the hell out of CoD4. It was one of the early games I got for my PS3 in 2007 and I played that to death. No other online multiplayer game really grabbed me quite like that except maybe Warhawk

It's first person shooters, dude. No Max Payne.

It's first person shooters, dude. No Max Payne.

It specifies that on the IGN page, *not* in this thread title. Or thread. I was about to get all up in the kool-aid over a lot of omissions, too, until I saw IGN's title.

IGN has it listed as both on their webpage but if a mod wants to edit in the words first person, then feel free to

No Modern Warfare deserves to be that high and I wouldn't be upset if it was higher. The recent CoD may be done to death but back when 4 was released, it was a bit more original. The thing was a phenomenon and put the modern day shooter on the map like none before it. That was the game that really went big and gained it more mainstream appeal and inspired so many copycats and even other series who weren't set in modern day, adopted their online setup, control scheme, etc... While some may consider the way its spread and taken over the gaming culture a bad thing, CoD4 in and of itself was an amazing game and what it accomplished cant be understated. Top 5 seems about right for it. Im not a fan of the current CoDs, but I loved the hell out of CoD4. It was one of the early games I got for my PS3 in 2007 and I played that to death. No other online multiplayer game really grabbed me quite like that except maybe Warhawk

I loved Call of Duty 4, I just don't think it should be put over the likes of Deus Ex, Battlefield 2, Wolfenstein, Bioshock, and several others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"