7. Fallout 3
6. Counter-Strike
5. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Grand Theft Auto III
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2. Shadow of the Colossus
1. Half-Life 2

IGN also did a more extensive Top 10 for each year - http://www.ign.com/decade/

Let's discuss this awesome gaming decade.

My Favorites

1. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
2. Mass Effect (Xbox 360)
3. God of War II (PS2)
4. Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1 & 2 (PS3)
6. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
7. Gears of War (Xbox 360)
8. WWE Smackdown!: Here Comes the Pain (PS2)
9. Spider-Man 2 (PS2)
10. Mortal Kombat: Deception (Xbox)

No God of War on those lists?
Sinners!:cmad:

Neither list is in any particular order.

These are my personal favorites from the past decade...

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Half-Life 2
Mass Effect
Halo: Combat Evolved
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Phantasy Star Online
Fallout 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Super Smash Bros. Melee

I was going to create a second and more objective list of games that I feel were the best of the last ten years. But It's impossible to determine the "best" games of the decade because what's considered as "good" changes over time. And has certainly changed since 2000. So instead, this is a list of games that I feel were highly influential and important in some way...

Wii Sports
Grand Theft Auto III
World of Warcraft
Halo 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Geometry Wars
Half-Life 2: Episode 1
Deus Ex
Portal
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

It's late and I'm sure I'll have more to say tomorrow. These lists will have to do for now.

No specific order

Uncharted 2 (PS3)
LoZ: Twilight Princess (GC/Wii)
KOTOR (PC)
Call of Duty 2 (360)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
Oblivion (PC)
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
Okami (Wii)

It's kinda hard for me to think of games. I haven't played a lot of AAA games like Half Life 2, Bioshock, and Fallout 3.

EDIT: Double post

Last edited:
Meh, not all too fond of either of those lists. I prefer the IGN one since they decided not to do the popular choice with Halo, which I personally wouldn't put anywhere near a Top 10 of the decade list. And they gave love to Okami, which is an excellent choice. And I can see their top 3 choices.

Anyway, I guess for me it's something like this:

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (PS2/Xbox/PC)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Okami (PS2)
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox/PC)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2/GCN)
MegaMan Legends 2 (PS1)

Honorables:
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Devil May Cry (PS2)
Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 (X360)
System Shock 2 (PC) -I think that's this decade anyway
Portal (PC)
Street Fighter IV (PC/PS3/X360)

Last edited:
No God of War on those lists?
Sinners!:cmad:

It didn't really bring anything new to the gaming market outside making quick time events more popular and common. Oh and you could say people are doing better stories for action games nowdays. :)

Hmm top 10 games of the decade.. Hard to decide. I really liked Gametrailer's list tho!

It didn't really bring anything new to the gaming market outside making quick time events more popular and common. Oh and you could say people are doing better stories for action games nowdays. :)

Hmm top 10 games of the decade.. Hard to decide. I really liked Gametrailer's list tho!

You could say the exact same for Halo.......

It brought nothing new to FPS, that had not already been there before. It was a mix of Half-Life and Starseige: Tribes.

So that's irregardless. If a game is good and very well done it can easily be on a top ten list.

For mine I would say.....

10. Grand Theft Auto III
9. Shadow of The Collsus/Ico
8. Knights of the Old Republic/Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2
7. Metal Gear Sold 3 and Metal Gear Sold 2 (I'm still kinda tied on which one)
6. Deus Ex/Perfect Dark
5. Metroid Prime
4. God of War
3. Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 yet again sometimes I just won't decide
2. Gran Turismo 4
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

EDIT: Teardrop System Shock 2 was in 1999.

You could say the exact same for Halo.......

It brought nothing new to FPS, that had not already been there before. It was a mix of Half-Life and Starseige: Tribes.

So that's irregardless. If a game is good and very well done it can easily be on a top ten list.

Halo shouldn't be on any list though. The only thing Halo did was keep the Xbox afloat until Halo 2 and Live came out.

I agree with Draz on God of War. The story in both are generic and cliche. Kratos is one-dimensional. The combat was nothing new. And it made QTEs more common in games which is a very, very bad thing.

Halo shouldn't be on any list though. The only thing Halo did was keep the Xbox afloat until Halo 2 and Live came out.

I agree with Draz on God of War. The story in both are generic and cliche. Kratos is one-dimensional. The combat was nothing new. And it made QTEs more common in games which is a very, very bad thing.
What makes Kratos a one-dimensional guy, in your opinion?
I could give you the others, but I really disagree with this one.

He has a story, he has emotions. He feels anger, he feels sadness, he suffers. He has objectives, goals, he is hunted and driven by his past. He isn't just a killing machine that does what it does for the sake of it.
Saying he is one-dimensional is an understatement, in my opinion, until convinced the contrary.

Gonna make my list later.

Last edited:
ok, my list would be......... (in no particular order)

mgs4
mgs3
mgs2
resident evil 4
final fantasy 10
dmc 3
shadow of the colossus
uncharted 2
call of duty 4
legend of zelda: twilight princess

Since everyone else is doing it might as well join in. (in not particular order)

Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age: Origins
KOTOR
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Fall Out 3
Guild Wars
Jedi Academy
Resident Evil 4
Skies of Arcadia

The story is by no means the freshest or most original story out there, but it's incredibility well written and well told, and I've yet to play a game in the genre with as well crafted story as GOW. It is the reason why action beat'em ups actually have a standard for storytelling nowadays. And Kratos being one-dimensional is utter and complete nonsense. He's not the deepest or most complex game character ever to exist, but he has at least a level of characterization beyond one note characters like Master Chief or Gears Guy.

And, sure, GOW's gameplay wasn't anything new per say, but it basically streamlined mechanics to make something that can be both simple, but very varied. QTEs are fine too. It's not 'new', but it's was a still pretty new direction in one sense for the action genre

I personally wouldn't put it on the list either, but to dismiss it would be foolish. It may be slightly overrated in several senses, but it's still been a very well made series.

EDIT: Teardrop System Shock 2 was in 1999.

Ah, well I was close :o

Last edited:
What makes Kratos a one-dimensional guy, in your opinion?
I could give you the others, but I really disagree with this one.

He has a story, he has emotions. He feels anger, he feels sadness, he suffers. He has objectives, goals, he is hunted and driven by his past. He isn't just a killing machine that does what it does for the sake of it.
Saying he is one-dimensional is an understatement, in my opinion, until convinced the contrary.

Gonna make my list later.

He's one dimensional because he's always angry. Between GoW I and II, there's maybe 2 scenes where he's not angry. I think there's a brief cutscene in GoW I that explains why he's pale and he looks sad in that. Then there's the cutscene in II where he sees his wife.

In the first game, he's motivated by revenge but he's virtually the same person in the cutscenes before Ares betrayed him. In the second, he's angry the other gods don't like him and then it becomes revenge after Zeus betrays him. See a pattern?

He's always angry and motivated solely by revenge. That makes a boring character.

I never played Shadow of the Colossus, looks pretty cool.

[YT]13xbhz2il5M[/YT]

Yeah, I never played it either but I think it looks fantastic. I hope they release a Team Ico Collection (like the GOW collection) for the PS3, before Last Guardian comes out.

He's one dimensional because he's always angry. Between GoW I and II, there's maybe 2 scenes where he's not angry. I think there's a brief cutscene in GoW I that explains why he's pale and he looks sad in that. Then there's the cutscene in II where he sees his wife.

If by brief cutscene, you mean hints skewed throughout the entire game?

In the second, he's angry the other gods don't like him and then it becomes revenge after Zeus betrays him. See a pattern?

He's always angry and motivated solely by revenge. That makes a boring character.
Pretty easy to generalize things outside of context for about anything. And generalize in an inaccurate way to boot. Or in a completely wrong way for that matter, did you actually play the game, because that's not really why Kratos was 'angry' in the second. Like, at all

Last edited:
If by brief cutscene, you mean hints skewed throughout the entire game?
No, I mean the 1-2 min cutscene that explains it. There are no hints in ripping off a Gorgon's head.

Pretty easy to generalize things outside of context for about anything. And generalize in an inaccurate way to boot
It's easy to generalize because there is nothing below the surface. Kratos is shallower than an empty bathtub.

I'm not going to get into this anymore since I'm not going to change my opinion on the subject.

Mine would go...

10. Dead Space
9. Marvel vs Capcom 2
8. Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2
7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
6. Shadow of the Colossus
5. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (it counts!)
4. Resident Evil 4
3. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune/Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence

Just missed out:
Hitman: Bloody Money, Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Demon's Souls, and a whole host of other awesome games

No, I mean the 1-2 min cutscene that explains it. There are no hints in ripping off a Gorgon's head.

It's easy to generalize because there is nothing below the surface. Kratos is shallower than an empty bathtub.

Okay, I have to ask; did you actually play the games or just read some kind of summary of the story? I ask, in all seriousness, because you're making a lot of pretty inaccurate statements about both titles.

I actually think the first Halo SHOULD be on lists.

Before Halo PC gamers would laugh and act snobby towards consoles gamers and proclaim that FPS's wouldn't ever be as good on a console as they were on a PC.

...Then Halo came out.

I had many PC gamer only friends that shut up after that.

And yeah, Halo should be in on some of these lists. I just never completed it so...

I'm not going to get into this anymore since I'm not going to change my opinion on the subject.

That's fine, but you're pretty much wrong and giving the impression that you have no idea what you're talking about. Kratos was motivated 'only' by revenge; he was angry because 'the other gods didn't like him' in the second; there was no hints why Kratos was insane before that cutscene in the first game. Yeah, I'm sorry, but none of those are accurate at all.

I actually think the first Halo SHOULD be on lists.

Before Halo PC gamers would laugh and act snobby towards consoles gamers and proclaim that FPS's wouldn't ever be as good on a console as they were on a PC.

...Then Halo came out.

I had many PC gamer only friends that shut up after that.

Meh, sure, that's all true, but I still don't think it's all that great. It brought PC experience to the consoles, fair enough, still not anything all that great, especially in comparison to other titles. Not Top 10 material for the entire decade, maybe for that year or something, but not for this kind of list in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"