Top 10 Games of the Decade.

Meh, sure, that's all true, but I still don't think it's all that great. It brought PC experience to the consoles, fair enough, still not anything all that great, especially in comparison to other titles. Not Top 10 material for the entire decade, maybe for that year or something, but not for this kind of list in my opinion

You think that all 3 MGS games from this decade deserve to be in separate spots on a top 10 list, how did all 3 of them bring something new and groundbreaking? You also listed Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

I realize that these are games you like, but if you have such strong opinions that Halo didn't do enough to deserve a spot on a Top 10 of the decade, then I think you need to rework your list.

You think that all 3 MGS games from this decade deserve to be in separate spots on a top 10 list, how did all 3 of them bring something new and groundbreaking? You also listed Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

I realize that these are games you like, but if you have such strong opinions that Halo didn't do enough to deserve a spot on a Top 10 of the decade, then I think you need to rework your list.

Who said I was basing my list off of 'new and groundbreaking'? I'm doing it off what I personally think was the top 10 games of the decade, just like everyone else. If I don't include the popular choices I guess I just won't get any nods of approval from fanboy central. And I personally don't need that approval to form my opinions.

Being 'new and groundbreaking' is great and always encouraged, but it does not automatically make a game good or great or amazing in my book. If I enjoy something else more than I enjoy it more regardless.

Last edited:
Popularize doesn't mean better.
Technically speaking, they are correct.

Before the first Halo people said FPS would never be "great" or "feel as natural" with a controller. Now look at how things changed, PC gamers are B&Ming about BioShock 2 not supporting joypad support for PC.

Seriously, 10 years ago they would NEVER say that.

Just goes to show you how the FPS went from being a "PC only experience" to great console games as well.

Before the first Halo people said FPS would never be "great" or "feel as natural" with a controller. Now look at how things changed, PC gamers are B&Ming about BioShock 2 not supporting joypad support for PC.

Seriously, 10 years ago they would NEVER say that.

Just goes to show you how the FPS went from being a "PC only experience" to great console games as well.

It helped. But a lot seem to forget about GoldenEye. Which was the king of FPS consoles for some time, and still is amazing. It was the first one to really go into the console territory successfully. Halo popularized it and refined it some for sure. But GoldenEye was the one that broke a lot of ground first.

And pc gamers are complaining it's a dumbed down system shock 2.
It's goes both ways and both are generalizations.

That's fine, but you're pretty much wrong and giving the impression that you have no idea what you're talking about. Kratos was motivated 'only' by revenge; he was angry because 'the other gods didn't like him' in the second; there was no hints why Kratos was insane before that cutscene in the first game. Yeah, I'm sorry, but none of those are accurate at all.

Everything I have said is true. Kratos' motivation in the two games is revenge against Ares and then Zeus.
The other gods didn't like him in the very beginning of GoW II. Then after he beat the Colossus and lost his powers, he became angry at Zeus.
The cutscenes we see of him before Ares betrayed him, he was the same angry, bloodthirsty character we see during the game. The only difference is he was angry at Ares now.

Because there was more to it. Yes he is angry all the time. But there are some sad moments in there as well that deepen hi character. In the first one with his wife and child. The things he knows he's done. There are human moments with Kratos that give him depth that break out of the anger. And if makes you angry and understanding the anger that is driving this character. To me it has always done that successfully which is why the games have been quite praised.

NM I saw that you did play GoW. So I had to edit that. But yea Kratos had more going on.

Last edited:
Double post. Damn this Hype!!!!! lol

Everything I have said is true. Kratos' motivation in the two games is revenge against Ares and then Zeus.
The other gods didn't like him in the very beginning of GoW II. Then after he beat the Colossus and lost his powers, he became angry at Zeus.
The cutscenes we see of him before Ares betrayed him, he was the same angry, bloodthirsty character we see during the game. The only difference is he was angry at Ares now.

In the first game Krato's was just as driven by ridding himself of guilt and dreams from his murderous rampages. Basically he wanted to strip away what little humanity he had left, sweep his life under the rug. It was more than revenge. That idea is introduced within the first half hour and is there to some degree throughout. In the second, that's more true, but you said Kratos was 'angry because the other gods didn't like him', which is simply not true. They didn't like him, sure, but he didn't care about them or what they thought.

He was always bloodthirsty and crazy to a degree. He was an elite Spartan solider who basically lived for war. But he had a family he deeply cared about to the point that he left his position and power because he killed them and was haunted by it for his entire life. Hell, that one scene in GOWII showed he was more than just an insane warrior.

I mean I personally don't even like the character that much, but I can recognize that he's more of a character than cardboard cutouts like Master Chief or Gears Guy. Not to say he's particularly deep per say, but he's not 'shallow as an empty bathtub'. He has a degree of depth that makes him more than one-dimensional

In the first game Krato's was just as driven by ridding himself of guilt and dreams from his murderous rampages. Basically he wanted to strip away what little humanity he had left, sweep his life under the rug. It was more than revenge. That idea is introduced within the first half hour and is there to some degree throughout. In the second, that's more true, but you said Kratos was 'angry because the other gods didn't like him', which is simply not true. They didn't like him, sure, but he didn't care about them or what they thought.
I did forget about him wanting to get rid of his nightmares. I haven't played GoW I in awhile so I don't want to. It always felt that they pushed that aspect aside for the most part and emphasized his anger at Ares. It was probably all the times he screamed "Ares."

He was always bloodthirsty and crazy to a degree. He was an elite Spartan solider who basically lived for war. But he had a family he deeply cared about to the point that he left his position and power because he killed them and was haunted by it for his entire life.
That's one thing I've always hated. I can't buy into the idea of Kratos being a loving husband and father. With all the violence and the sex mini games, it's hard to see him as one. They did a poor job fleshing out that part of his character. It's not enough to say "Kratos loved his wife and daughter" without anything to make it believable.

Hell, That one scene in GOWII where he meets his wife shows he has a degree of depth.
Sadly it only lasts about 10 seconds. There is also the scene [BLACKOUT]where Athena gets in front of Kratos' stab. He's sad for a second and then goes back to be angry at her for letting her stab him[/BLACKOUT]

I mean I personally don't even like the character that much, but I can recognize that he's more of a character than cardboard cutouts like Master Chief or Gears Guy. Not to say he's particularly deep per say, but he's not as 'shallow as an empty bathtub'.
Ugh, how could I forget about those "characters"? I take back my statement on Kratos. At least there's something to him even if it's poorly presented.

That's one thing I've always hated. I can't buy into the idea of Kratos being a loving husband and father. With all the violence and the sex mini games, it's hard to see him as one. They did a poor job fleshing out that part of his character. It's not enough to say "Kratos loved his wife and daughter" without anything to make it believable.

Actually that is quite believable. My minor in college was Ancient History mainly focusing on Roman and Greek studies. Sex was not a taboo like it is today back then. Many men that loved their wives it was okay to have sex with other partners. Your thinking in a more "Christian" sense of today with how we determine what love is.

He loved his wife and child. And did things that were 100% common in Greek/Roman ancient eras.

My point wasn't really "He's not a family man b/c of the sex mini games" but "He's not a family man because they never developed that part of him"

I would buy into it if they had at least 1 cutscene that fleshed it out.

Last edited:
Meh, sure, that's all true, but I still don't think it's all that great. It brought PC experience to the consoles, fair enough, still not anything all that great, especially in comparison to other titles. Not Top 10 material for the entire decade, maybe for that year or something, but not for this kind of list in my opinion

Teardrop said:
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (PS2/Xbox/PC)
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
Okami (PS2)

:facepalm:

My ten favorite games from the last decade.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Katamari Damacy
Shadow of the Colossus
Pokemon Gold/Silver
The Sims
F-Zero GX
City of Heroes/Villains
Wii Sports
Rock Band 2
Spider-Man 2

That reminds me, Pokemon Platinum is another honorable mention.

I don't have it but it improved a couple of the few faults in Diamond/Pearl. While people bash the current Pokemon games now for too many Pokemon (a petty complaint and fueled entirely by nostalgia IMO), they've really never been better. The visuals are at their peak, the revamped combat made previously poor Pokemon more useful, and no franchise has benefited more from online capabilities than Pokemon.

Though if you still count 2010 as part of the decade, I'll say the Gold/Silver remakes since those were the best games of the franchise.

I listed the Gold/Silver games because they brought the games to the next level, something that after the (IMO) lackluster third generation of the games, the new ones (D/P/Pl) have done as well.

I will make my list by picking a best game per year(similar to what IGN did). I may do a seperate one later that doesn't use that rule, it's just a bit easier to do it this way right now.

LoZ: Majora's Mask- 2000
Metal Gear Solid 2- 2001
Metroid Prime- 2002
KOTR- 2003
Metal Gear Solid 3- 2004
Shadow of the Colosus- 2005
Okami- 2006
God of War II- 2007
Metal Gear Solid 4- 2008
Uncharted 2- 2009

A quick note. These games are what I feel were the best of thier perspective year. Some were innovative and fresh yes, but that does not define the "best" to me. They were fun and kept me very entertained. They made me want to play them over and over. I could play them now and still have fun with them. That is what the "best" means to me.

Last edited:
10. Jak 3 (PS2)
9. Halo
8. Batman Begins
7. Batman:Arkham Asylum
6. Fallout 3
5. Mirrors Edge
4. Prototype
3. Ghostbusters:The Video Game
2. Bioshock
1. Star Wars:Battlefront

My point wasn't really "He's not a family man b/c of the sex mini games" but "He's not a family man because they never developed that part of him"

I would buy into it if they had at least 1 cutscene that fleshed it out.
They have, like a flashback of him making a little horse of wood for his daughter in Chains of Olympus.
He was willing to give up on everything to stay with her after he found her in Elysium, but he had to make the hard choice of letting go of his daughter, forever, to stop Hades' wife from destroying the world.

By no chance he is an one-dimensional character, but I've seen in early posts that you've recognized it.

I don't have a PSP so I wouldn't know about anything in Chains of Olympus. It still doesn't excuse the absence of any content that develops that part of Kratos in their console games.

I don't have a PSP so I wouldn't knoIw about anything in Chains of Olympus. It still doesn't excuse the absence of any content that develops that part of Kratos in their console games.
I don't have a PSP either, I watched on youtube.
Just because it was not on the PS2 doesn't mean it is not part of the story, and it is.

Who said I was basing my list off of 'new and groundbreaking'? I'm doing it off what I personally think was the top 10 games of the decade, just like everyone else. If I don't include the popular choices I guess I just won't get any nods of approval from fanboy central. And I personally don't need that approval to form my opinions.

Being 'new and groundbreaking' is great and always encouraged, but it does not automatically make a game good or great or amazing in my book. If I enjoy something else more than I enjoy it more regardless.

You should always read all posts in a thread before trying to be clever :up:

A quick note. These games are what I feel were the best of thier perspective year. Some were innovative and fresh yes, but that does not define the "best" to me. They were fun and kept me very entertained. They made me want to play them over and over. I could play them now and still have fun with them. That is what the "best" means to me.

Well said

Last edited:
Teardrop you are so pathetically a playstation fanboy it's not even funny. You keep arguing about how there is no personality in Master Chief or Marcus which is true but the other guy even didn't mention either of those guys once. He just said Kratos is shallow which is also true, nothing about either of those guys. Get off your playstation high horse and just accept the man's opinion about the story and game. Oh and before you start attacking me, I own both systems and enjoy each depending on the game so no I am not a 360 fanboy.

I don't have a PSP either, I watched on youtube.
Just because it was not on the PS2 doesn't mean it is not part of the story, and it is.

As I said, there still should have been something in the PS2 games since they came out before CoO. Putting it in that game makes it seem like it was an afterthought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"