3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Metal Gear Solid 4
5. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
6. Call of Duty 4
7. Sonic Adventure
8. Tony Hawk Underground
9. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
10. The Sims 2

You keep arguing about how there is no personality in Master Chief or Marcus which is true but the other guy even didn't mention either of those guys once.

It's called illustrating a point, and I said it like two times. And, if it's true, what's the problem?

He just said Kratos is shallow which is also true,
Wow, have you been following this thread at all. Even the guy who originally said that admitted otherwise :funny:

Get off your playstation high horse and just accept the man's opinion about the story and game. Oh and before you start attacking me, I own both systems and enjoy each depending on the game so no I am not a 360 fanboy.
Guess what, bud; I own both systems as well. And guess even more what; the last three games I purchased were on the 360 (and two of those were multiplatform). So, if I'm supposedly a fanboy that must mean you're just as much on that table as myself, and I must say it sounds like someone got a little butt hurt that I poked criticism at the Xbox flagship characters to me. :o

Also, if you actually would have read past the 'OMG, bashing Xbox characters', you would have seen that I wasn't going against his opinion as much as inaccurate statements concerning the story and characterization. And, if you would have been reading, you would have also seen that he basically acknowledged most of my rebuttals later on. You might have even noticed I said I didn't even care for the character, but it didn't stop his opinions from being factually inaccurate to the material being discussed.

If you are going to go on an anti-fanboy rant at the very least make sure you actually are commenting on something fanboyish in nature. Would it have helped if I said Master Chief/Gears Guy and Nathan Hale instead? Would have made all the difference in the world, eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As I said, there still should have been something in the PS2 games since they came out before CoO. Putting it in that game makes it seem like it was an afterthought.
They're expanding on his story. Another game, more development. Nothing wrong if it comes before or after, on the original console or not.
If God of War 3 expand even more on his background, it'll also be an excuse because it is not on the PS2?
No.
They can always show more and do more as long as it doesn't deviate from the original idea.

If you're going to slander the fellow, at least use his name.

I remember Dom and Cole's name, but I never remember his. I was actually thinking it was Felix something. Kind of sorta right.

And I'm not slandering him. I'm telling the truth :o

And wow, you edited right as I quoted you. You should have kept the actual name up, because I really was thinking it was Felix something

They're expanding on his story. Another game, more development. Nothing wrong if it comes before or after, on the original console or not.
If God of War 3 expand even more on his background, it'll also be an excuse because it is not on the PS2?
No.
They can always show more and do more as long as it doesn't deviate from the original idea.

I disagree and think it should have been in GoW I. It makes that part of Kratos seem like an afterthought.

I disagree and think it should have been in GoW I. It makes that part of Kratos seem like an afterthought.

I think we can somewhat agree on that aspect. They probably could have been better in fleshing that out, but I think the fact that he left Ares' army and started having the nightmares only after he killed his family showed that he truly loved them, albeit subtlety.

Also when he tries to protect them at all costs from the other Kratos and they're taken from him again, or when he has a vision of his wife in the second and tells how sorry he is.
No doubt he loved them.

I think we can somewhat agree on that aspect. They probably could have been better in fleshing that out, but I think the fact that he left Ares' army and started having the nightmares only after he killed his family showed that he truly loved them, albeit subtlety.

I'll have to play GoW I again because they seemed to only mention that in passing and was easy to miss if you weren't paying close attention.

Also when he tries to protect them from the other Kratos and they're taken from him again, or when he has a vision of his wife in the second and tells how sorry he is. No doubt he loved them.

Protecting them from the other Kratos clones felt like it was just thrown in there as a sidetrack from the boss fight. And you're too busy focusing on fighting the other Kratoses to really think about it.

That scene in II is really the only notable scene in the PS2 games where they touch on it.

Last edited:
I remember Dom and Cole's name, but I never remember his. I was actually thinking it was Felix something. Kind of sorta right.

And I'm not slandering him. I'm telling the truth :o

And wow, you edited right as I quoted you. You should have kept the actual name up, because I really was thinking it was Felix something

Marcus Fenix, Marcus Fenix, Marcus Fenix... It's actually a pretty great character name. I never played Resistance and I had no idea who Nathan Hale was, and wikipedia took me to a Revolutionary war spy's page, I was quite confused.

Protecting them from the other Kratos clones felt like it was just thrown in there as a sidetrack from the boss fight. And you're too busy focusing on fighting the other Kratoses to really think about it.
That's your way to see it, which I think is too trivial.

Kratos is the one who killed them in the past because he was blinded by his anger and power granted by Ares.
I interpret that battle as his chance to redeem himself, since he would be facing the one who killed his family, which is, himself. They could have put any of the many monsters the game has, but they put Kratos clones there for a reason.
And he gave everything to do this, to kill all of the Kratos, as a way of washing his inner monster out of him. But when his wife and daughter are killed again, he falls to his knees.

Hugging his family to grant them life in game was also a nice touch, as it was them filling his Rage of the Gods in return, meaning that being with them granted him the strenght he needed.

Last edited:
That's your way to see it, which I think is too trivial.

Kratos is the one who killed them in the past because he was blinded by his anger and power granted by Ares.
I interpret that battle as his chance to redeem himself, since he would be facing the one who killed his family, which is, himself. They could have put any of the many monsters the game has, but they put Kratos clones there for a reason.
And he gave everything to do this, to kill all of the Kratos, as a way of washing his inner monster out of him. But when his wife and daughter are killed again, he falls to his knees.
And that is the way you see it. Having the protagonist fight a doppleganger of themselves has been done before and it's a cheap, easy way of having the protagonist confront his inner demons.

Hugging his family to grant them life in game was also a nice touch, as it was them filling his Rage of the Gods in return, meaning that being with them granted him the strenght he needed.
This is a real stretch.

And that is the way you see it. Having the protagonist fight a doppleganger of themselves has been done before and it's a cheap, easy way of having the protagonist confront his inner demons.
And it worked greatly.
It wasn't just to face his inner demons, it was also to destroy who killed his family.
This is a real stretch.
No, this is what happened.

And it worked greatly.
It wasn't just to face his inner demons, it was also to destroy who killed his family.
It worked. But it was a cheap way to do it.

No, this is what happened.

Giving it that explanation is a stretch.

You're still ignoring the issue. They pushed this aspect of Kratos aside and it was an afterthought throughout the two PS2 games. All there is are subtle mentions of it in a cutscene which isn't enough.

I just finished the first God of War game and I really enjoyed it. Oh...excuse me, I must be lost. I thought this was the God of War thread.

Heh. Anyway, had I played it back when it was first released it probably would have had a place on my personal top ten.

You're still ignoring the issue. They pushed this aspect of Kratos aside and it was an afterthought throughout the two PS2 games. All there is are subtle mentions of it in a cutscene which isn't enough.
The objective of the story is to show a man in a quest for vengeance to defeat a god, the biggest of beings. His personal backstory is not the main focus, but it is there to explain the character and give more development to him.
What they did after, what they did before, it doesn't matter now, because it wasn't just one adventure. All the games built on his character so we could know him more, but the games aren't about his backstory, even though everything seems to revolve around that.

The objective of the story is to show a man in a quest for vengeance to defeat a god, the biggest of beings. His personal backstory is not the main focus, but it is there to explain the character and give more development to him.
His personal back story of him killing his family is significant and it's something they developed very poorly.

What they did after, what they did before, it doesn't matter now, because it wasn't just one adventure. All the games built on his character so we could know him more, but the games aren't about his backstory, even though everything seems to revolve around that.
It does matter. They should have done it in GoW I where it was a major, yet largely ignored, part of the story.
The game doesn't need to explain his entire history. I'm not even arguing that. There's just very little that develops him in this way. Even a 1 minute cutscene of him returning home from a battle and greeting his family would have been enough. But there isn't.

I don't want to derail this thread any further. You're too forgiving of their character development, I'm too unforgiving. Let's just leave it at that.

Last edited:
His personal back story of him killing his family is significant and it's something they developed very poorly.
It was explained and shown. We understood what was presented. You seem to want it hugely detailed. It wasn't the main objective of the story, as said.

It does matter. They should have done it in GoW I where it was a major, yet largely ignored, part of the story.
The game doesn't need to explain his entire history. I'm not even arguing that. There's just very little that develops him in this way. Even a 1 minute cutscene of him returning home from a battle and greeting his family would have been enough. But there isn't.
What are we talking again?
Kratos being a caring father and husband?
He is a spartan warrior that gave his life to Ares to gain power. He kills his familiy in consequence of that. He is hunted by his nightmares. He wants revenge. The story goes from there. It is not about him being a lovely man to his family, but even so, we know till the end of the game that he loved his family and cared for them.

Whatever dude. You don't understand what I'm getting at so I'm not going to bother explaining anymore.

I guess I'll throw my favorite games of the decade in there. Top ten in no particular order:

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Beyond Good & Evil (PS2,Xbox,GCN)
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS2)
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal (Gameboy)
War of the Monsters (PS2)
Pikmin 2 (GCN)
Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS)
Metroid Prime (GCN)

These are my favorites of the decade as I remember them most fondly up to now...hopefully I didn't forget any. But as it stands this is my top ten.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but there is no defense for a list like that. None whatsoever. The shield of "IMO" crumbles, the facepalm stands.

2coq2xj.jpg

I collect spores, molds, and fungus, but even I won't touch that bull****

I'm sorry, but there is no defense for a list like that. None whatsoever. The shield of "IMO" crumbles, the facepalm stands.

Dude, everyone has their favorites, and you have no right to tell them that their opinion is wrong.

I mean I am not the biggest fan of the MGS games past the first one, but I know many people who feel they are some of the best experiences...it doesn't make my opinion any more valid than theirs.

Oh, and Okami is more than deserving to be on a best games list. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"