I'm a Paul Heyman Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also find it kinda funny the people saying that Punk v. Cena should have been the main event at Wrestlemania last year, but how could that have happened? Miz had the belt. If Cena faced Punk (which he probably should have but they killed that feud quick - but then again who would have faced Miz if Cena was busy with Punk? Plus the whole aspect of The Rock...), it would have been non-title, thus it wouldn't have been the main event.

Either way, Punk wasn't coming close to a Wrestlemania main event last year.

Most people start getting an idea of what they want for Wrestlemania around the beginning of January. At that time the Rock hadn't returned.
Because Miz's feud had already ran it's course with Orton they had to move him onto someone else. That's why they abruptly switched feuds with Punk/Cena and Miz/Orton at the Rumble. So before that event a lot of us probably wanted Punk to main event. Also I would suspect that if it was going to be Cena/Punk then Miz would of dropped the title.

I agree with this, but can you imagine the gold if they put him up against the guy that does have that larger than life appeal that gets the massive crowd?

It'd be a great way to get Punk more over, absolutely.

Or he could've been another Austin, who was a bigger draw than the Rock. :)

Not going to happen. Austin was a product of the times and his "Attitude" character changed what the business had been for so many years and him getting over was the perfect culmination of events. The same goes for Hulk Hogan in the 80's. It's not just giving a wrestler an opportunity, its so many other factors and a culture change and tapping into what's going on in society.

Punk just doesn't have that luxury due to the way society and the business has changed. Punk might be a great wrestler and promo, but he does not have the same benefits guys like Austin, Hogan, and The Rock had.

Plus, you have to consider the way the entertainment industry and cable television has changed over the years. The wrestling business as a whole will never be as big as it once was.

Yes. Yes it could.

The thread title should be changed to CM Punk shoots on The Wrestling Thread. :p

...Or... something more creative, lol.

I say we change the thread title to Straight Edge: The Wrestling Thread

It'd be a great way to get Punk more over, absolutely.

Not going to happen. Austin was a product of the times and his "Attitude" character changed what the business had been for so many years and him getting over was the perfect culmination of events. The same goes for Hulk Hogan in the 80's. It's not just giving a wrestler an opportunity, its so many other factors and a culture change and tapping into what's going on in society.

Punk just doesn't have that luxury due to the way society and the business has changed. Punk might be a great wrestler and promo, but he does not have the same benefits guys like Austin, Hogan, and The Rock had.

Plus, you have to consider the way the entertainment industry and cable television has changed over the years. The wrestling business as a whole will never be as big as it once was.

Even if it didn't the fued itself could be great. I think that's something WWE is missing now. Like others have mentioned they focus so much on building Cena but don't put much focus on giving him someone to go up against.

also....
R-Truth-1.jpg

Hey Colt Cabana, How are you doing? Thread

I'm breaking the fourth wall, wrestling thread

The Wrestling thread minus kissing McMahon's Ass

Let me tell you something about Vince McMahon, that bully campai.... Thread

Even if it didn't the fued itself could be great. I think that's something WWE is missing now. Like others have mentioned they focus so much on building Cena but don't put much focus on giving him someone to go up against.

also....

I don't want you guys to get me wrong, I'd love for Punk to get a singles push to the very top and given the ball to run with it. He should get it and he is the hottest thing right now. It's an opportunity WWE would be stupid to let slip out of their hands. Punk is very refreshing to the what the company is right now.

I'm just being realistic

There's truth in what Rock said though.

There's a reason for that. The Rock is possibly the most naturally gifted wrestler of all time, at last of his generation. He's an amazing athlete as well as a fantastic entertainer. By comparison, CM Punk may come up a little short in the charisma department, but I'd be willing to argue that he is the best all around wrestler of this generation.

The main difference is that Rock came into prominence in an era where he was allowed the freedom to develop his talents to their full potential. In addition, he was surrounded by and working with other great talents that were as great as he was(Austin, Foley, Triple H, Taker), or on the verge of becoming great(Jericho, Angle). Plus he had the WWF marketing machine behind him in full force. His face was on just about every kind of merchandise available, and every other sentence that came out of his mouth was turned into a t-shirt.

Punk on the other hand, has been stuck in an era where promos are scripted, wrestl-I mean sports entertainers are produced by an assembly line with cookie cutter personalties. While there are a quite a few good wrestlers in the WWE right now, the truly great ones are few and far between. Punk gets nowhere near the level of marketing that Cena and Orton get, and anytime he starts to gain momentum as a superstar, he gets knocked back door to midcard purgatory. The only main event level feud that he actually won was against Jeff Hardy, only to job to the Undertaker two months later.

Gerweck.net

Reported by Adam Martin of Wrestleview.com
ROH’s “Best in the World 2011″ iPPV this past Sunday, airing live from the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City, drew an estimated 1,900 buys reports The Figure Four Weekly Newsletter. This beat out the previous record set last December for the company’s “Final Battle 2010″ iPPV. It was considered an impressive number with ROH no longer being part of HDNet for months now and no real way to promote outside of the internet. It was also the first iPPV available on the iPhone, iPad and Android platforms (something ROH wasn’t aware of until the day of the show). Fans could also stream the show live on television with a Roku box for the first time as well.

I'm a Paul heyman Wrestling Thread gets my vote

::sees title::

BRILLIANT!

I like The Rock as ana ction actor but he completely missed Punk's point.

What's Paul Heyman up to these days? It really bothers me that Vince Russo has a job with a ton of financial backing and he doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"