I'm skeptical for the following reasons

Chris Wallace

LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
Reaction score
1. I know very little of Kirk's acting ability.
2. The track record for TV shows based on comic books isn't great. (ESPECIALLY MARVEL)
3. The track record for TV shows based on movies is even worse.
4. This is a show based on both.
5. We've already had an ongoing show about a vampire killer.
6. If it acknowledges "Trinity" that'll only hurt it.
7. Spike TV can't show the level of violence, gore & profanity that the Blade movies are famous for.

Chris Wallace said:
1. I know very little of Kirk's acting ability.
2. The track record for TV shows based on comic books isn't great. (ESPECIALLY MARVEL)
3. The track record for TV shows based on movies is even worse.
4. This is a show based on both.
5. We've already had an ongoing show about a vampire killer.
6. If it acknowledges "Trinity" that'll only hurt it.
7. Spike TV can't show the level of violence, gore & profanity that the Blade movies are famous for.

I think you've made some valid points, but I'm holding out hope that the Blade TV series will defy the odds.

As much as I dislike Trinity, not acknowledging the repercussions or aftermath of unleashing the daystar virus would not be a good thing. It's a loose end that needs to be tied up. And if its dropped then a lot of fans who actually did like Trinity or who want to know what happened to the virus will be complaining about that.

Even though there has been Buffy, Angel, Forever Knight, I think Blade can bring something to the table. They all exist in a similar milieu, but each is different. The characters all had a different quest or reason for doing what they did. So, I do think Blade can be a fresh take on the vamp hunter story. Plus, the Blade vamps are way cooler, more stylish, and real than the other shows, except perhaps Forever Knight.

I do wish that Blade was on FX, which allows more cursing, violence, and sex in its programming. However, I don't think Blade can't be successful without those things.

Foul language really isn't necessary, and even a lot of blood and gore. I would rather have good acting, good scripts, and spooky, gloomy atmospherics in the place of mindless violence. WB's Supernatural is a good example of this. So was the X-Files.

Kirk's acting is a concern. I've only seen him in the Shield. He played okay, but it was to type. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can pull it off.

I would prefer to see a brooding, haunted man. But perhaps with a little more openness and vulnerability than Snipes' Blade. But vulnerability doesn't equal crying. Blade should not cry or have pets. Just perhaps more of an emotional attachment to the humans he protects.

WHOA-what's this about crying & pets?!?!

Chris Wallace said:
WHOA-what's this about crying & pets?!?!

A long time ago, I read a script review of the Blade TV movie pilot that had Blade taking in a stray dog. I hope that was cut out of the finished product.

As for crying, if they made Shaft 2000 cry, then anything is possible. :eek:

Nah-I don't see it. He didn't shed a tear after running his own mother through, & he didn't weep for Whistler either time. And I don't remember Sam crying in "Shaft".

Chris Wallace said:
Nah-I don't see it. He didn't shed a tear after running his own mother through, & he didn't weep for Whistler either time. And I don't remember Sam crying in "Shaft".

Shaft cried when he found the witness, Toni Collette, who had been the waitress who saw Christian Bale kill Mekhi Phifer. He said something like I know this must be hard for you and hugged her or something. It felt totally out of character.

I hope Blade doesn't cry, but this is a different animal than the movies, and a different actor than Wesley. I'm guessing that the writers will be changing the character for the small screen. I'm assuming it will actually result in a reduced role for Blade in favor of the Krista Starr character. Her seeking vengeance for her brother will be a major arc on the show I'm assuming. Which means we'll get to see her grieve, come to identify perhaps with her quest.

I wonder how Blade will fit into that? Will they develop a proper relationship between him and the bad guy Van Scriver-similar to Blade vs. Frost, Nomak, and Drake. Something tells me it will be Starr wanting to stake Van Scriver more than Blade. Pretty much making him a guest star on his own show.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up wussifying Blade in someway. The damage was already begun in Trinity when they had the Nightstalkers saving Blade, and fighting along side him as if they were near equals. The mention of the dog is not a good sign.

I can accept the Bloodpack doing so because they were vampires trained to take Blade out. But even with that, none of them could stand up to Blade one-on-one. I'm not saying the Nightstalkers could've either, but I think they were made too badass.

Well that's the one thing I'm NOT worried about; I don't see them softening Blade up any further after the resoundingly negative response to Trinity. And like I said before, we don't need another Buffy.

What is all the talk about Blade acting like a lil biatch? Sticky said we played Blade like he was from the streets. Which Blade is since he from Detriot. Look Blade ain't neva gonna be no punk. They ain't making that mistake (again). Why everyone keep saying Krista gonna be the star? It's called Blade people. She just a side thing. I think Marvel learned they lesson with Mary Camden and Van Wilder. Blade gonna be the star and he gonna be real. Bet on it.

Da Beast said:
What is all the talk about Blade acting like a lil biatch? Sticky said we played Blade like he was from the streets. Which Blade is since he from Detriot. Look Blade ain't neva gonna be no punk. They ain't making that mistake (again). Why everyone keep saying Krista gonna be the star? It's called Blade people. She just a side thing. I think Marvel learned they lesson with Mary Camden and Van Wilder. Blade gonna be the star and he gonna be real. Bet on it.

Well, her name is Krista "Starr" after all:) . I hope that Goyer did learn his lesson. But the old script review I read also said that Starr would take up a substantial part of the pilot film, and that Blade was sort of in second-banana status. I read that quite some time ago, and of course it could've been wrong. But after Trinity, I've got doubts.

It seemed like Goyer ran out of interesting things to write or do with Blade in the films, even though I think the character has great possibilities for drama and growth. I hope that he has realized that, and also realized that people bought tickets to the Blade movies, and will be tuning into the show to see Blade. Not his hottie co-star.

But I'm withholding judgment right now. I really thought Trinity would be kickass with Goyer behind the helm. So, I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. I want to see the finished product first.

Goyer said something about expecting to see "beginnings" "origins" of Blade...is this supposed to be before the movies we've seen?

Fanticon said:
Goyer said something about expecting to see "beginnings" "origins" of Blade...is this supposed to be before the movies we've seen?

The TV show is supposed to be a continuation that takes place after Blade Trinity. However, I think there will be flashbacks, or maybe some episodes that take place before the first Blade film.

I don't think so; that's not what I get from the buzz I've been reading.

Chris Wallace said:
I don't think so; that's not what I get from the buzz I've been reading.

From the interviews I've read, the Blade TV show does take place after Trinity. But I do believe that Whistler might be in a few flashbacks, or they will have a couple of eps, or scenes, that show Blade when he was younger.

They already have a Whistler replacement character in Shen. And the plot of having Blade work with Krista to infiltrate the House of Chthon speaks to an older, wiser Blade instead of a younger, wilder one. A person that using his brain to take down the vamps instead of just chopping them down. This is more so the Blade of the second and third films than the first.

i have one prob hes bold blad might have had a buzz cut but he was not bald maybe it will be ok anyways cant wait to see though

DarKush said:
From the interviews I've read, the Blade TV show does take place after Trinity. But I do believe that Whistler might be in a few flashbacks, or they will have a couple of eps, or scenes, that show Blade when he was younger.

They already have a Whistler replacement character in Shen. And the plot of having Blade work with Krista to infiltrate the House of Chthon speaks to an older, wiser Blade instead of a younger, wilder one. A person that using his brain to take down the vamps instead of just chopping them down. This is more so the Blade of the second and third films than the first.
Sorry, dude. I was replying to Fanticon, not you.

King Of The sea said:
i have one prob hes bold blad might have had a buzz cut but he was not bald maybe it will be ok anyways cant wait to see though
He was bald in the last run of Tomb Of Dracula.
The show premieres on my birthday. Can't wait to see if it's a gift or a curse.:)

I also don't think they should've had him pose for the publicity pics like that; holding the glaive the exact same way that Wesley did in the "Blade Trinity" poster. Make him original!

I was skeptical too until i saw some of the promos and behind the scenes videos. the trailer was horrible and had me questioning the idea of a series but it was made almost a year ago. just check out the stuff they been showing recently the effects look go even the vampires turning into ash looks good for tv. i'm even over the fact sticky playing blade. he could have used a deeper voice but he seems he could pull off the character pretty well. just wait and see then judge,

I'm only skeptical; I didn't say I have no hope at all.

Hope is SLIM, with Jones as Blade. Maybe its just a case of 'post-WeslySnipes-not-being-Blade' syndrome. I mean he did such an amazing job as that character that i think itll be reallllly hard for Jones to live up to that. I will watch the show this Wed, hopefully everything will be ok.

I'm skeptical for one reason. It's on Spike, so my fear is that it will go the route of sex and lots of models with big breasts rather than good stories and good character development. :/

I'd like to reassure you on that, but the 1st thing I ever saw on Spike was Striperrella & the last was Die Another Day.

I'll check the show out, but I'm not expecting a lot. If it were on FX I might be more inclined to think it would be intense, but SpikeTV is basically has a lot of programs geared toward the trailer trash folk.

Or maybe even Sci-Fi. Spike is just barely above MTV. And we all remember what happened when they got ahold of a Marvel show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"