Informal Poll

danielisthor

Sidekick
Reaction score
Is the Federal Government of the United States of America as it right now what its makers thought it would be when it was written?

This is a strict yes or no poll. If possible, I would like no discussion on it. Just yes or no. Thank you.

You mean Imperial Federal Government.

Our military is overstretched in foreign wars, the government is babysitting the people to the point of turning us into a welfare state, our non-elected officials can effectively create laws simply by reinterpreting the constitution, and we're in loads of debt to countries that hate everything we stand for as a people. Other than that though, everything is fine. :o

No, in many ways...some of which are really good (for instance, the "3/5ths" and slavery rule for non-white people that was originally in the Constitution) and some of which are really bad (entitlement programs, etc.).

Considering there are African Americans and women serving in our government, I would say "no."

I'm going to go with "no." The Federal Gov't is far too encroaching upon both the rights of the states and the citizenry.

*sigh*

The reason there was the 3/5th rule was to hide a way to eliminate Slavery by not giving Slave States power and eventually overruling them. It was a way to overcome the problem while maintaining a United nation.

Considering the fact that blacks were used as slaves back when the founding fathers founded this nation, and women couldn't vote, I'd say the federal government is very different than what it used to be like back then.

*sigh*

The reason there was the 3/5th rule was to hide a way to eliminate Slavery by not giving Slave States power and eventually overruling them. It was a way to overcome the problem while maintaining a United nation.

That doesn't erase the fact that several founding fathers owned slaves and advocated slavery... which means the government definitely is different from what they imagined these days...

I don't know ho any one can say yes to this question. Its clearly not. Lincoln grossly exceeded executive authority in forcing the southern states to stay in the union and in doing so brought in an age of federal expansion that continues to this day.

*sigh*

Yes, those slave-owning Founding Fathers were such HONORABLE men that no one should DARE question their policies back then. You complain about people putting Obama on a pedestal but yet you can't accept criticism of the Founding Fathers? Kind of amusing.

Anyway, there have been good changes and bad changes to the government since it was originally founded. At the rate we're going right now, though, the bad outweighs the good. We're headed for a complete crash due to government intervention.

Its not fair to criticize the framers for slavery though. It was just a different time. It really doesn't lessen their accomplishments at all.

As insensitive as it is, Whites back then weren't doing anything to Blacks here, that Blacks weren't doing to eachother there.

Its not fair to criticize the framers for slavery though. It was just a different time. It really doesn't lessen their accomplishments at all.

bwhahahaha. That's like saying people shouldn't criticize people from the 1950's for segregation. Founding Fathers like Jefferson engaged in slavery, used slaves for sex (apparently they're human enough for sex but not enough to be counted as a full human being in the Constitution? Alrighty...sounds logical to me).

The core values remain though its been modernized and updated a bit. The ff were brought up to believe in a lot of stuff we don't like. I believe Matts point was if they were alive today they likely wouldn't still support slaves, ect. It was simply a different time. You cant hold it against one of them being normal. Its how they were raised.

Considering there are African Americans and women serving in our government, I would say "no."

:applaud

The core values remain though its been modernized and updated a bit. The ff were brought up to believe in a lot of stuff we don't like. I believe Matts point was if they were alive today they likely wouldn't still support slaves, ect. It was simply a different time. You cant hold it against one of them being normal. Its how they were raised.

:applaud

Bingo on my point. Though I disagree on the core values remaining. The president would not be the most powerful man in the country if our core values remained.

Bingo on my point. Though I disagree on the core values remaining. The president would not be the most powerful man in the country if our core values remained.

The President isn't the most powerful person in the country. He's a puppet. Remember that old saying about the smokey room that they take the Presidential candidates into? Yeah, the banks own this country and the world.

We still have the checks and balances system, they just didn't realize it would be dominated by just 2 parties.

The President isn't the most powerful person in the country. He's a puppet. Remember that old saying about the smokey room that they take the Presidential candidates into? Yeah, the banks own this country and the world.

Redfirebird is Clive Owen! :shock

We still have the checks and balances system, they just didn't realize it would be dominated by just 2 parties.

No, its not a case of that at all. Its a case of the federal government greatly exceeding the authority that they were given in our Constitution.

They wouldn't be happy with the United States of Advertisers.

Could you imagine our founders' reaction to the government giving a trillion dollars to bail out failed companies?

Could you imagine our founders' reaction to the government giving a trillion dollars to bail out failed companies?
Rewarding Failed Companies with Failing Practices that insures the failure of the Country? Yeah, I can't imagine that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"