Informal Poll

I think the founding fathers would be extremely proud of the growth of the country and SOME assets of the government....knowing that their framework has continued to grow and adjust

They would be very unhappy, that the Federal government has SO much power that the states have been so diminished.

One thing I was taught in law school is that trying to speak on the intent of the Founders for specific circumstances is pretty much a fruitless endeavor. None of us were part of the Continental Congress so trying to infer exactly what they intended for our government outside of it having the flexibility to adapt and persevere is almost impossible.

One thing I was taught in law school is that trying to speak on the intent of the Founders for specific circumstances is pretty much a fruitless endeavor. None of us were part of the Continental Congress so trying to infer exactly what they intended for our government outside of it having the flexibility to adapt and persevere is almost impossible.
If you read their letters and their essays, and read the essays of those that influenced them, you have an easier time speaking about their intents.

If you read their letters and their essays, and read the essays of those that influenced them, you have an easier time speaking about their intents.

Their letters, essays, federalist papers, etc. are only their singular opinions on certain subjects. The Continental Congress made decisions as a group and many of them made concessions to come to a consensus. It was in large part a negotiation between the states. You can't infer there intent as a collective because the only thing we have to go by is what's written in the Consitution, they didnt leave an appendix nor did they have a crystal ball to see every possible item that was down the road in the future of the country. Their biggest goal was just to make the document flexible enough so as it would adapt and grow with the country by being broad enough to be open to interpretation. That's right out of the mouth of a former Supreme Court justice BTW.

Last edited:

Heh, touche.

This might end up being the first 100% poll in the history of the Hype. But then again, it really is a no brainer.

Damn good question dan......welcome to posting on the Political Forum....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"